Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Niro 3 HEV 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all <waves>

New to Kia. I picked up a '17 plate Niro 3 HEV last week (from a local main dealer under the Assured Kia scheme) and loving it so far. Popped out this morning and on my drive home in the lovely June sunshine I drove through some twisty countryside bends (circa 40mph) on a hedge lined A-road and I immediately noticed the orange 'ESC light' on the dash had illuminated. It stayed illuminated until I arrived home (another 5 miles) and turned off the car. Didn't notice any issues/noises or anything else untoward with the driving experience.

Upon restarting the car the ESC warning light had extinguished.

I'm still working my way through the hefty owners manual(!) but I gather that when it comes to ESC...
The ESC indicator light blinks whenever ESC is operating or illuminates when ESC fails to operate"
So I'm guessing that the ESC tried to kick in during that journey but for some reason it failed and hence the light illuminated? Tempted to see if it does it again soon during a bit of spirited driving and if so I'll have a word with the dealer to investigate, though I guess they'll need the light to be active to diagnose it with the computer?! Warranty is valid until 2024.

Anyone else with a Niro had similar?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
Hi & Welcome

ESC = Electronic Stability control

Could be one of the wheel sensors has failed/failing or the ring at back of wheel has got rust on it.

As you only got it last week I would pop back to them. It should have left a fault code in the ECU for them.

·
Registered
Niro 3 HEV 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, if it's left them an ECU trail to follow I'll give the dealer a ring in the morning and see just how good their after sales service is 😉.

Will keep this thread up to date as we progress.

I don't think I've ever spent this much on a used vehicle before nor had one throw up a fault so quickly (5 days) but appreciate I'm now dealing with half-car half-computer compared to my last drive 😂.

·
Registered
Niro 3 HEV 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rang dealer this morning. Very helpful. "Pop down and we'll take a look" they said, so as I had time I did. No re-occurrence of the ESC light fault this morning en route despite lots of twisty road driving to get there as yesterday. Twenty minutes and one cup of coffee later and I was on my way back home feeling well looked after.

Diagnosis: ECU reported a Steering Angle Sensor Calibration issue which was rectified presumably with a software tweak. Dealer confident that it won't give me any more trouble. Got back home via same twisty route and no issues.

Now to practice my light right foot technique until it's honed to perfection :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts