Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up new niro HEV 2 on saturday. Had a couple of trips in it.
First impressions.

Easy to drive just like my previous Niro 2.
Last night used the auto main beam function. Main beam comes on automatically when street lights stop. If car approaches they dip and then go back to main after it passes. When street lights start again it goes back to dip. I like this function.

Variable regenerative braking. Jury still out on this one. Can't think of a time when I would need this permanently on. Used it a few times when speed limits dropped as I went into towns and villages or could see red lights ahead. Anticipated the reduction and flicked in the regen to take off the excess speed. Setting 3 is actually quite fierce. May be a problem if someone is following as brake lights do not come on. Feels a bit like the old fashioned slowing down using the gears that we were all taught back in the day.

Lane assist. has this in the old car but it seems that it now comes on as default and has to be switched off. Again always felt this was a bit of a novelty.

Distance control in cruise. Not had chance to try this yet but as I hardly ever use cruise control it may be some time.

The angle of the dash in front of the passenger looks to have been altered. This is creating some distracting reflections from street lights and the sky as I drive.

Electronic hand brake. Again a novelty, not sure how it is an improvement over a traditional brake but again something I rarely need to use.

No Sat nav (see other thread) so need to sort that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up new niro HEV 2 on saturday. Had a couple of trips in it.
First impressions.

Easy to drive just like my previous Niro 2.
Last night used the auto main beam function. Main beam comes on automatically when street lights stop. If car approaches they dip and then go back to main after it passes. When street lights start again it goes back to dip. I like this function.

Variable regenerative braking. Jury still out on this one. Can't think of a time when I would need this permanently on. Used it a few times when speed limits dropped as I went into towns and villages or could see red lights ahead. Anticipated the reduction and flicked in the regen to take off the excess speed. Setting 3 is actually quite fierce. May be a problem if someone is following as brake lights do not come on. Feels a bit like the old fashioned slowing down using the gears that we were all taught back in the day.

Lane assist. has this in the old car but it seems that it now comes on as default and has to be switched off. Again always felt this was a bit of a novelty.

Distance control in cruise. Not had chance to try this yet but as I hardly ever use cruise control it may be some time.

The angle of the dash in front of the passenger looks to have been altered. This is creating some distracting reflections from street lights and the sky as I drive.

Electronic hand brake. Again a novelty, not sure how it is an improvement over a traditional brake but again something I rarely need to use.

No Sat nav (see other thread) so need to sort that out.
We pick up our 2 on Friday. The electronic handbrake is ideal for my wife as this is a motability car, so it will benefit her not having to pull the hand brake lever.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday mrs H noticed one of the reversing lights wasn't working! Got in touch with the dealers today to get it booked in (manual says you can't replace the bulb yourself). Turns out it only has the one light. The other side , which has a plain glass cover, is actually a fog lamp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lane assist is getting annoying now. If I forget to turn it off before setting out then it switches in and out randomly depending on how visible the lines in the road are. Then suddenly when you go around a parked car you get an alarm and a collision warning!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tested out the cruise control distance thingy yesterday. No great drama. It works up to about 100m ahead detecting the car in front. Not sure how you test it though as it would involve deliberatly keeping your foot off the brake pedal as the gap closes.😱

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Not sure how you test it though as it would involve deliberatly keeping your foot off the brake pedal as the gap closes.😱
Leave that 100yds gap on a m/way when it's busy. Will soon find out as they all pull into that gap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lane assist is getting annoying now. If I forget to turn it off before setting out then it switches in and out randomly depending on how visible the lines in the road are. Then suddenly when you go around a parked car you get an alarm and a collision warning!
If you put your indicators on, it disables the lane assist.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you put your indicators on, it disables the lane assist.
I know but you don't indicate to pass parked cars on quiet roads. Roads where you would need to use lane assist. That's why I would prefer you to have to select it rather than have it come on automatically.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know but you don't indicate to pass parked cars on quiet roads. Roads where you would need to use lane assist. That's why I would prefer you to have to select it rather than have it come on automatically.
If it had to be selected to be on, then 95% of drivers (or more) would never engage it and the safety benefits would disappear. I think Kia and Hyundai should get on with the infortainment system and let the drivers choose permanent settings by themselves! For example I'm very annoyed by the button ritual that begins every ride, auto hold - seat warmer - steering wheel warmer - reduce regeneration to zero - engage cruise control ready state. Most of these could be permanent settings, the warmers are in many brands hold down buttons or selectors that are on permanently in the selected setting, no need to fumble them 1000 times a year!

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Lane assist is really of any use on M/ways or multi lane roads. On normal roads round here it would see you into many stone walls....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it had to be selected to be on, then 95% of drivers (or more) would never engage it and the safety benefits would disappear. I think Kia and Hyundai should get on with the infortainment system and let the drivers choose permanent settings by themselves! For example I'm very annoyed by the button ritual that begins every ride, auto hold - seat warmer - steering wheel warmer - reduce regeneration to zero - engage cruise control ready state. Most of these could be permanent settings, the warmers are in many brands hold down buttons or selectors that are on permanently in the selected setting, no need to fumble them 1000 times a year!
95% of the time you don't need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On ours, I'm sure you can set it as off by default. It's in the setup menus you access using the selector on the right of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No matter how many times I go to settings and select LKA 'off' (un-tick the box) it always comes on again unless I turn it off with the dashboard switch every trip.
What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No matter how many times I go to settings and select LKA 'off' (un-tick the box) it always comes on again unless I turn it off with the dashboard switch every trip.
What am I doing wrong?
Same here. Unticked it twice today and it still activated later on when I turned the car on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last night, had a few minutes so sat in the car pressing buttons. Discovered there is another menu deeper still that the one I unticked last time. So I turned that one off as well and thought I had cured it. had I ****. Turned on car later and lane follow came on automatically:mad:

On another note used the cruise control distance thingy on the A419 today and when someone pulled out of a slip road a bit closish ahead and then didn't accelerate away it put the brakes on quicker then I could react. Impressive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tested the cruise control in town approaching traffic lights at 30mph. I hovered my foot over the brake pedal but as the car in front slowed down and stopped for the red light my Niro did exactly the same thing in a safe and orderly fashion.

I am not sure I will always do this, I was just testing it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What am I doing wrong?
Just looked and discovered that LKA is in two menus - Driver assistance/Driving assist and Lane safety, so you may need to deselect it in both for it to stay off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts