Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip to Cornwall towing the caravan and most impressed.

Towing is very stable, even at 60 on the motorway.

Fuel consumption averaged at just over 28 mpg which seems in line with what others are getting with a 1600 petrol car towing similar weights. Obviously not as good as I was getting with my previous diesel 150bhp 4x4 Yeti but acceptable.

Tried both Sport mode and Auto and found the Auto better than playing with the paddles, and it seemed to give better consumption.

Allegedly mine was the first of the 2020 models in the UK to have a tow bar fitted!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I ask why you chose a hybrid as a towing vehicle? I thought they were incompatible.
I'm intrigued why you think that they are incompatible?
Even the Handbook says that they are fitted with towing preparation from the factory.

Simply, the use we now make of our car means that a diesel engined car was totally unsuitable, so it had to be a petrol, and since most of our general journeys are less than 20 miles a hybrid fitted our needs, plus there were environmental considerations as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Glad your pleased with the Niro graham,interesting to hear your thoughts reguarding the Niro as a tow car as it doesn’t appear that many/any have done so yet ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was under the impression that the electric motors were not powerful enough for towing. Am I correct in thinking that the electric motor never runs solo when towing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad your pleased with the Niro graham, interesting to hear your thoughts regarding the Niro as a tow car as it doesn’t appear that many/any have done so yet ?
Allegedly mine was the first 2020 model in the UK to be fitted with a tow bar! The bar was even delivered to the dealers by one of the Engineering managers from KiaUK.

Compared to the Yeti it is more thirsty, but then the Yeti was 150bhp and the Niro is about 110bhp, so I'm not surprised and the figures are in line with what other 1600 petrol owners are getting. This months CAMC magasine has a road test of a petrol 2WD Sportage and that only managed 21mpg! I got 28mpg in both directions, Wales to Cornwall.

Stability is nearly as good as the Yeti, even at a little over 60 on the motorway and isn't overly affected by passing coaches. Not unexpected as the overhang between rear axle and ball are about the same.

Rear suspension doesn't appear to be that affected by the extra weight on the back and the ride is still supple. The lane to the CL we stayed on in Cornwall was quite rough but it wasn't uncomfortable in the car. I'm sure that 16" wheels help!

Nose weight is better; Yeti was 70kg, whereas the Niro is 90kg, so much easier to attain.

Having the reversing camera makes hooking up dead easy. And the slow creep possible in reverse on electric is very useful in lining everything up.

One thing I have noted is that there doesn't appear to be a fridge connection in the trailer wiring. However it is difficult to test since if the engine isn't running then it isn't providing a charge. I've got to find a way of using the multimeter AND keeping the petrol engine on. Not actually that much of a problem as the first Yeti didn't have the extra feed either and we just make sure the fridge is good and cold before we leave.

######################################################

I was under the impression that the electric motors were not powerful enough for towing. Am I correct in thinking that the electric motor never runs solo when towing?
The electric motor definitely runs when hooked up! In fact it seems to tow quite happily on battery at low speed. The road up to our house is up a slight hill and it climbed that solely on battery power, and when you need that extra bit of "oomph" the electric motor provides that.

As I said before, why would the factory supply the vehicle with towing preparation as standard and state that in the Handbook and brochure if it wasn't suitable? And why would they have bothered to go to the expense of getting it Type Approved to tow if they didn't consider it suitable?

And think about this, the car could easily seat 5 members of a rugby club and all their kit; how much do you think they would weigh? My caravan has a max weight of 1150kg and we don't get anywhere near that figure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts