Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the problem of being flashed at at night by other drivers to indicate "you're on full beam you pillock", when I'm not?

I'm frankly sick of it and duly respond with a flash back indicating "NO I DO NOT you numpty (or words to that effect, obviously censored for delicate eyes!)

I'm wondering if my lights maybe mis-aligned or is it just the norm? Having said that, they are VERY bright!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My first night time drive last night, and although never flashed i did think that maybe they were a bit high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought mine appeared to lie high as well, thought I'd wait and see if I got any flashes and haven't had any so far...

I think it's just this type of light they can appear too bright when in direct line with them, which I guess a lot of drivers might be given the height of the sportage.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
No, never had it happen in the Sportage. I get it all the time in my Chrysler though.

To be honest, I think the low beam is actually set a bit too low on our car.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,228 Posts
I guess if your being flashed it means the other driver considers they are being dazzled (unless you've left your front foglights on) and is trying to tell you. Most cars have aheadlight adjuster on the dash somewhere so you can adjust the lights so as not to dazzle if you have passengers in the rear or a full load. Rather than keep on dazzling oncoming traffic it might be worth getting the alignent checked in case plod pull you over.
Phil

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same here,
My car was new in sept'11 and every now and then i get the old flashing business, like OP said i tend to flash back to say "you want bright, have it!!" lol

Also i consider the low beam to be quite low, the cut off of the light does seem alot shorter than previous cars i have had.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just stick on my full beam and blind them so they know I was on dipped to start with

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
According to the spec, Model 1, 2 and KX2 have standard headlights, so may have adjusters.

Model 3 and KX3 have HID's, which are automatic levelling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is this thread relating to cars fitted with bixenons or standard headlamps. The standard halogens have headlamp adjusters, bixenons are auto levelling. I have the bixenons which give out such a good light that putting main beam on makes very little difference other than perhaps filling the middle distance with a more yellow/white light. I tend not to bother with main beam based on the efficiency of the bixenons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ashtons99 said:
Is this thread relating to cars fitted with bixenons or standard headlamps. The standard halogens have headlamp adjusters, bixenons are auto levelling. I have the bixenons which give out such a good light that putting main beam on makes very little difference other than perhaps filling the middle distance with a more yellow/white light. I tend not to bother with main beam based on the efficiency of the bixenons.

No adjuster my man as I have bixenons. They maybe do need looked at as I get a ridiculous amount of full beam flashers!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Its not just you sportage lot, i find that gen-1 BMW Minis dazzle me and always have, I get flashed alot in my RIO during the day, i can only assume that the Daytime running lights make people think i have my headlights on, also 2011+ Picanto DRL's seem to be where normaly you would expect the front fogs to be, so it looks like they are all boy racers driving around in the day with thier front fogs on.

If some one flashes you just switch your main beam on and show 'em what it really looks like and over time they will learn...or be dazzled and crash, either way you will stop getting flashed!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think all bixenons are too bright and cause a dangerous degree of dazzle to oncoming drivers. They may be self levelling, but on a dark road they can ruin your night vision for ages.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,228 Posts
big_boz said:
If some one flashes you just switch your main beam on and show 'em what it really looks like and over time they will learn...or be dazzled and crash, either way you will stop getting flashed!
I know the quote was light hearted but driving from Grantham to Spalding last night I was following an Audi who flashed the car coming towards us (the other car had these new bright lights and the potholes in the road made it look like he was flashing his headlights, common on this road). The car comng the other way then stuck his headlights on full beamwith the resut that the Audi wasblinded and had to brake sharply, and I was blinded and almost went into the back of him.Damn nearly a serious accident.Good job I was not transporting children which I often do.......
If he had caused a serious or fatal accident I wonder how the offending driver would have explainedthe reasonsto the Judge? 'I was fed up of being flashed so I thought I would teach them a lesson'.

Moral of the story is stick to the guidance of the Highway Code and don't dazzle other road users!

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts