Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dont know if its just my ageing eyes but i find night driving a real pain nowadays.
Seems to me that lots of vehicles have extremely bright,and sometimes,blinding lights.
Worse are the ones close up in the rear view mirror,ive actually started to use the night-time mirror.
Oh and why are some HGV,s lit up like christmas trees,is it really necessary ?
Any-one else suffering ??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Totally agree. I don't think it's just our aging eyes but the amount of cars that are now fitted with these xenon HID lights. I've noticed that even some brand new cars seem to have blinding lights when approaching. Surely that can't be due to misalignment or dodgy upgrades on these new cars.

I was pulled over by the police recently for driving between 33-35 MPH in a 30 MPH area. It was dark at the time and the police officer commented that most people slow down when being followed by a police car. I replied that his Xenon headlights were so blinding, it was impossible for me to see the outline of his car, let alone what type of car it was !

·
Registered
699 Posts
I was just thinking this on my way home the other night. These new HID/leds are just so intense on these dark rural Lincolnshire roads they ruin my night vision for a good minute or two. And I think truck and van drivers do like to 'accessorise' their work place with lots of unnecessary lights not helped by trucks seemingly using their fog lights as an extra dipped beam. One of my major bugbears (now I've got going...) is folk who stop at traffic lights or railway crossings and keep their foot on the brake pedal in front of me. I had to use my sun visor last week when I was behind a new Honda Civic fitted with a mass of led's for brake lights. There, I feel better for that! Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I agree the headlights on many cars there days are ridiculously blinding. On Motorways I'm constantly having to dip the interior mirror.

We have so many regulations these days you wonder how this is allowed as it must be a safety issue.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Dont know if its just my ageing eyes but i find night driving a real pain nowadays.
Seems to me that lots of vehicles have extremely bright,and sometimes,blinding lights.
These new HID/leds are just so intense on these dark rural Lincolnshire roads they ruin my night vision for a good minute or two. .
I agree the headlights on many cars there days are ridiculously blinding. On Motorways I'm constantly having to dip the interior mirror.
I don't think it's just our aging eyes but the amount of cars that are now fitted with these xenon HID lights.!
I agree with all the above though eyesight does deteriorate with age so that does play a part, night-time vision being particularly less acute, if that's the right word.

The powerful brake light dazzle while cars are stationary is mostly down to the auto-hold facility on many of these modern cars but if the drivers had just a smidgen of common courtesy about them, they would apply the handbrake which automatically extinguishes the brake lights. Being the nice guy that I am, :angel:I always do that……..except if the car behind is an Audi!:devil:

I recently tried a pair of those 'night driving' glasses that are supposed to reduce headlamp glare but I found no benefit from them at all. I think the only benefit is probably an increase in the seller's bank balance!

I'm sure all KIA owners keep their windscreen immaculately clean and windscreen wipers in good shape but when I replaced my blades and cleaned the screen recently, I noticed a huge improvement during heavy rain on a night-time journey. The old wipers were still in good condition and I could have kept them in service longer but after three years, I felt they had served me well so I retired them.

It seems that the juvenile brigade, not only have to have really, really fast cars, they also must have the brightest lights on the market, inside and out! This, of course, provides them with X-ray vision and they become immortal, not needing to ease back on speed during rain and darkness.

Looking to the future and with an eye on the safety aspects of modern vehicles, perhaps the automatic dip/main feature should become a compulsory fitting? Additionally, I cannot understand why so many vehicles still don't feature an automatic interior mirror dip - it isn't as if it's really new technology.

There are many ways in which life on British roads could be improved and one of the features I like when driving in France is the 130kph maximum limit on their motorways which becomes 110kph during rain. France has its fair share of lunatic drivers and French people generally don't like to be told what they can and can't do - it's a very French thing! - but there is a tendency to respect that weather restriction….well,...ish! by quite a few of them. French plod do like to put themselves about when the rain comes down and they issue quite a few penalty charges which keeps them in the job. Certainly, I stick to the limits as I do here, besides which, who wants to get into an argument with a man with a gun who speaks better French than you anyway?:armed:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I too, like the reduced limit signs on French motorways. Seems strange that ALL EU Countries haven't been "asked" to adopt it by Brussels....
They also switch on headlights in rain conditions, which often gives you a clue as to what the raod conditions will be like shortly when going the other way - "ah! headlights, must be raining ahead"
As to when they decide the weather is "rainy" depends on many things, as you'll still have 200 kph merchants whizzing past with just a cloud of spray to mark their passage, the Belgians seem to stick to 0.5 kph over the speed limit, no matter what, overtaking - allow them 5 minutes to do so, or put your foot down to ensure you're not trapped on the inside on a 2 lane motorway...
Dutch seem to only use the centre lane.
But yes, it should be a given that speed limits reduce in bad weather.
If I need the wipers on 2nd setting, then that's enough for me to use 110 kph as my limit, and for cloudbursts, well, slow enough not to hit anything in front!

·
Super Moderator
2,158 Posts
I think part of the problem is that the lights are not set up to the correct levels when sold as new.
It really should be part of the PDI That lights are check to MOT standard.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think it doesn't help us in lower cars that there are more big SUVs these days with their higher-mounted headlight. Three years before their first check of alignment is ridiculous. LEDs and alleged autodip seem to be another problem on country roads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree with all the above though eyesight does deteriorate with age so that does play a part, night-time vision being particularly less acute, if that's the right word.

The powerful brake light dazzle while cars are stationary is mostly down to the auto-hold facility on many of these modern cars but if the drivers had just a smidgen of common courtesy about them, they would apply the handbrake which automatically extinguishes the brake lights. Being the nice guy that I am, :angel:I always do that……..except if the car behind is an Audi!:devil:

I recently tried a pair of those 'night driving' glasses that are supposed to reduce headlamp glare but I found no benefit from them at all. I think the only benefit is probably an increase in the seller's bank balance!

I'm sure all KIA owners keep their windscreen immaculately clean and windscreen wipers in good shape but when I replaced my blades and cleaned the screen recently, I noticed a huge improvement during heavy rain on a night-time journey. The old wipers were still in good condition and I could have kept them in service longer but after three years, I felt they had served me well so I retired them.

It seems that the juvenile brigade, not only have to have really, really fast cars, they also must have the brightest lights on the market, inside and out! This, of course, provides them with X-ray vision and they become immortal, not needing to ease back on speed during rain and darkness.

Looking to the future and with an eye on the safety aspects of modern vehicles, perhaps the automatic dip/main feature should become a compulsory fitting? Additionally, I cannot understand why so many vehicles still don't feature an automatic interior mirror dip - it isn't as if it's really new technology.

There are many ways in which life on British roads could be improved and one of the features I like when driving in France is the 130kph maximum limit on their motorways which becomes 110kph during rain. France has its fair share of lunatic drivers and French people generally don't like to be told what they can and can't do - it's a very French thing! - but there is a tendency to respect that weather restriction….well,...ish! by quite a few of them. French plod do like to put themselves about when the rain comes down and they issue quite a few penalty charges which keeps them in the job. Certainly, I stick to the limits as I do here, besides which, who wants to get into an argument with a man with a gun who speaks better French than you anyway?:armed:
I was also thinking of some night time driving glasses but then I read this..

https://www.laramyk.com/resources/education/dispensing/the-dangers-of-night-driving-glasses/

·
Registered
667 Posts
Polaroid glasses help as they reduce reflected light from raindrops and off wet roads, bonnets etc. All reflected light gets polarised as it is turned.

If you feel that the traditional amber coating is bad then I suggest polarised fishing glasses.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had trouble with dazzling lights when driving at night, but having two cataracts removed sorted the problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was also thinking of some night time driving glasses but then I read this..

https://www.laramyk.com/resources/education/dispensing/the-dangers-of-night-driving-glasses/
I seem to remember the headlights had an amber tinge back in the 60’s and that’s when I first saw these driving glasses, along with driving gloves, I guess the steering wheel was more slippery back then. Plus we drove a lot slower so probably dazzling was not so dangerous as todays fast cars.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think part of the problem is that the lights are not set up to the correct levels when sold as new.
It really should be part of the PDI That lights are check to MOT standard.
I thought it was poor adjustment. I occasionally drive a minibus and find that even from that elevated position dazzle is no better than in a car. It seems that headlights just don't have enough attenuation above the cut off. Also, the significant amount of blue in modern bulbs is purely cosmetic and doesn't help with vision.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree. Some of these new style led /HIDs are rediculous. Is it a case of poor alignment or just no fks given?

As for trucks with there football teams lit up in the back of the cab and 45000 fairy lights over the tractor unit ? Really ? Come on.. I think they must have some sort of jealousy against the coca cola Christmas truck .🙄😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts