Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer wanted stupid money for paintwork protection etc So up early this morning to beat the sun, full wash, decontamination ( tar & iron fall out ) Clay bar then out with the polisher followed by wax. Yes I've put some time into it today but saved a wedge of money & feels more satisfying doing it yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never use car wash or hand car wash, hopefully now I've got some protection on it I'll keep on top of the tar spots etc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dealer wanted stupid money for paintwork protection etc So up early this morning to beat the sun, full wash, decontamination ( tar & iron fall out ) Clay bar then out with the polisher followed by wax. Yes I've put some time into it today but saved a wedge of money & feels more satisfying doing it yourself. View attachment 10743 View attachment 10744 View attachment 10745
I did exactly the same last week, refused to pay the dealer price for paint protection so, I clay bar’d mine, polished and waxed it, mirror finish now.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I hose mine down then use traffic film remover from Power maxed.. been using it for a few years now in a 3ltr pump up spray bottle with a lance.. let that do its job than hose down again.. then use their car wash and wax in water and a mitt and 2 buckets.. just clean in one direction not in a circular motion like the karate Kid .. dry with a good quality cotton fibre towel again in one direction..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey people, been driving 60+ years and never heard/seen of a "clay bar!" Have I missed something? what is this magic you speak of?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hey people, been driving 60+ years and never heard/seen of a "clay bar!" Have I missed something? what is this magic you speak of?
Run you hand over your paint work .. does it feel like sand paper..

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
264 Posts
It's a bar of clay that you rub over the cars surface (lubricated) to pick up tiny bits of dirt embedded in the clear coat.

You can actually use plumbers putty with good effect. But you can also buy kits which are £10 to £15 ish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Top Man... (all correct process)...been doing mine since last year...easy pease"se...I saved a fortune from local car wash....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
a bar of clay that you rub over the cars surface
clay bars are available alone, out-with a kit too. What sort of spray lubricant should be used to be gentle on the paint?
I've only used the complete kits that come with the spray, but the bars alone are much cheaper.

I do mine weekly 😂
what products have you used to get your Sportage so shiney Yan 101? Maybe it's just a good photo, but the car appears exceptionally reflective.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
what products have you used to get your Sportage so shiney Yan 101? Maybe it's just a good photo, but the car appears exceptionally reflective.
Its that stuff called elbow grease Jack and supposed to come in tins but still can't find a seller for the stuff on eBay.. 😡😉

·
Registered
264 Posts
clay bars are available alone, out-with a kit too. What sort of spray lubricant should be used to be gentle on the paint?
I've only used the complete kits that come with the spray, but the bars alone are much cheaper.

You can use any cheap quick detailer as a lubricant. I think my car looks reflective because it's a dark colour which always helps. But I've spent alot of time on it. I've never clay barred it though as I didn't feel it needed it.

I polished with autofinesse tripple polish on a dual action polisher. Then waxed with collinite 476. Then weekly top ups with natty paste wax. I wash it weekly with meguairs soft wash which dosent strip the wax. I use a cheap demon shine detailer before I rinse it and just buff it back up with the rac buffing towels from b and m.

·
Registered
264 Posts

This was just after a quick wash with no wax top up. But as i regularly top up the wax. Dirt tends to fall off easier and it always looks shiney even if it's a bit dirty.

I highly reccomebt collinite 476s wax. Or bilt hamber double speed wax.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts