Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here who has not yet bought a Picanto but am more than half way to being convinced.

I will be buying a 1.0l 5 door

Like many others before me I am concerned by the lack of a spare wheel and I will insist the dealer supply one. I am aware that this might cause some problem with the boot floor.
Does anyone have a photo of dealer supplied spare in situ in the boot and perhaps of the level of deformation of the boot floor.

Many thanks

Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dano, sorry I should have mentioned I will be buying a brand new Picanto 1.0 5 dr

cheers

Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have had the full size spare for our picanto 2,it is a steel 14''.when in position it stands 25 mm above the boot floor,but when the boot cover is down you hardly notice the bump in the middle were the spare is,mainly because the cover they use now compared to the older picanto is very thin/cheap!

gazcaz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gazcas, thanks. I am off for a test drive next week of the Picanto and the i10. If I am not mistaken the i10 comes with a space saver wheel which although better than aerosol does not fill me with confidence either.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi andyp,
We also tested the i10 but it was the wife who liked the look of the picanto more,& as its her car there you go!
On the space saver wheel they are just as good as a full size spare,as they fit perfectly in the wheel well,but when your first set of tyres are worn you have to buy two tyres,were if the spare was an alloy only one would be needed.

Gazcaz

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi folksspare wheel well will take spare like last picanto take the plastic/styrene piece out

the fluid kit well once used an some times usless

though found wheels are back ordered !!!!

the fox

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought my first Kia (a Halo) at the end of January and I must admit when I first realised there wasn't a spare I was uncomfortable, but then I thought about it.....

......In 20 years of driving I have never had to change a flat tyre. I have had a slow puncture, but then I always have a pump that plugs into the lighter to inflate tyres if I have a problem. So given that the idea of not having the weight of the spare is to assist in the ecodynamics of the car then it makes sense not to have one. I have my pump and I have a mobile phone if I get stuck and being a very slight wee lassie chances of me managing to get the nuts off to change a tyre myself are slim anyway, so I can live with it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree. Been lucky not to ever have a puncture (31 years of driving). I have AA membership and the foam thingy in case...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate and thank you for your thoughts.

I look at this in a different way. I have had airbags in by car for many years and not once had to use them but it is reassuring to know that they are there when needed. I also have insurance which I have not needed either. Yes the spray can is there but if the puncture is too large or on the side wall then I (or more importantly wife or kids) would be left stranded until help arrives.

I'd much prefer to have a good solid tyre and wheel which I'd be happy to drive on for a few days if necessary and being a big butch bloke I think I can manage to change a wheel

I'll let you know what happens after we had a test drive.

cheers

Andy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our (old style) Picanto came with the can of sealant & compressor. Got a call from my wife one evening to say she was parked up with a puncture as car in front had shed its exhaust and she'd run over it. Went to help and arrived to find friendly policeman kneeling down by car covered in gunge. He'd tried to use the sealant but tyre had split on inside sidewall so sealant had sprayed all over him and the car. If car had a spare (space saver or normal) she'd have been on her way again instead it ended up on a recovery truck. I bought a full size spare wheel and tool kit straight after. Sealant might work on occasions for a small puncture but happier that if my wife breaks down far from home she can just use herbreakdown cover, they can swap the wheel for her and she's on her way again as safe as before with no space saver speed restrictions or worry about puncture repair holding up.

Also agree though that punctures (especially one such as the above) that immediately deflate the tyre are very rare so if you're happy to risk it and accept a trip on the back of a breakdown truck if/when you're unlucky then you could save yourself £100.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got a spare wheel kit thrown in,I think they expect it ,two dealers didn't seem to have any grumble at all,they fit in fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I though I would let you know that I decided on an Hyundai i10. Can't really fault the Picanto but for a car that we use for about 3000 miles a year the added extras of the Picanto were not worth it. The i10 has the same spare wheel issue but the deal we got from the dealer was 1000‚¬ less than the Picanto.

Many thanks to all those that replied to my OP.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by: andyp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts