Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Looking forward to getting some good and friendly conversation with fellow owners.
Only problem I see at the moment, which is disappointing, is the paintwork failing around the rear light enclosures in the lid and the wheel arches. Looks like a grinding/filling job for the spring which is not really what I want to see on this age of car. Car has averaged less than 10K per year so must be down to paint or body dip quality which is surprising. The bodywork was signed off less than two years ago in the Service Log as no rust problems?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The rear wheel arches are known to be a weak point for rust however this is often down to the owners not jet washing away all the salt etc. that gathers there during a winter.

Haven't heard of any problems round the tailgate area, maybe it had a shunt at somestagein its past?

Lots of knowledge on here including 2 (I think!) Kia mechanics so feel free to shout if you need help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Supercabby, Thanks for your reply. Yes I suspect as you say the previous owner never jet washed the wheel arches. Must admit I do wash the arches automatically whenever I wash the other car summer or winter.

The rear tail gate is rusting the same place on each side just on the inner corner where the light fittings are level with the base of number plate.
I did strip out the rear tailgate including trim and lights to treat this rust but seems to be the point at where the rain runs off the light fitting. I will have to treat with rust killer, filler and repaint. May even be worth using some clear filler on the base of each light fitting to stop the water getting under the paint at this point.

Regards
Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
RobertT said:
Hi Supercabby, Thanks for your reply. Yes I suspect as you say the previous owner never jet washed the wheel arches. Must admit I do wash the arches automatically whenever I wash the other car summer or winter.

The rear tail gate is rusting the same place on each side just on the inner corner where the light fittings are level with the base of number plate.
I did strip out the rear tailgate including trim and lights to treat this rust but seems to be the point at where the rain runs off the light fitting. I will have to treat with rust killer, filler and repaint. May even be worth using some clear filler on the base of each light fitting to stop the water getting under the paint at this point.

Regards
Rob

We have exactly the same problems just at the spots on the tailgate that you have described. Also, an area just down from the rear wiper.
Ours is a 55 plate in imperial blue.

Thats the other thing we are wondering if anyone on hear knows where we can find a spray paint to cover the area once the remedial work has been done.

Sally

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sally,

Check your Service Book and see if your bodywork has been checked as required under warranty.
You may just have some claim under warranty if yours is a 55 plate.
I thought the bodywork warranty was 7 years!
I am sure other owners will clarify what you can and cannot claim for with respect to bodywork warranty.
It is quite a lot of work to strip out the inner trim and light fittings in the tail gate to get rid of all the rust. Then need to treat the bare metal with a rust killer preventative such as Kurust before priming and repaint. Getting that Kia paint colour in a touch up quantity could be a problem, unless you can match it with another car manufacturer in Halfords etc. To have the whole tailgate repainted in the correct colour may be the only alternative but sounds expensive.
I will do my tail gate again but this time will seal the edge of the light fittings with a clear sealer, to try and stop the water being held in this area. Fortunately my car is jet black and I was able to match the colour and finish with aerosol of paint from Halfords.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts