Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2l diesel Procee'd for just under four years and have been delighted - until a few weeks ago. I've had three episodes of the engine conking out, all at low speeds:

Episode 1:pulled out of a car park, engine not running smoothly. Joined main road, rapid power loss, engine stops, unable to re-start. Called out breakdown service.After half an hour, man arrives with tow truck, gets into car, starts first time! Took car to main dealer for diagnostic; diagnosed possible earthing fault and said to have fixed it.

Episode 2: a week later, pootling around Edinburgh, same again - luckily, able to coast into the only parking space on busy main road. Left it half an hour, able to re-start and coax into near-normal behaviour.

Episode 3: another week later, same again - leaving me at the white line on a road junction. Friendly locals helped me push it out of danger. Booked it into dealer, where it stayed for 3 days. No electrical fault, nothing on the computer log. Dealer contacted Kia who say it's not the first time - advised to check fuel tank for contamination. None found. Changed fuel filter and hoped for the best.

Intermittent problems really are bad news, but I've somewhat lost confidence in this car. Anyone else had a similar problem? Any suggested solutions?

·
Registered
536 Posts
fuel fillter! 100% dad had this happen no end of times in his old pug 406.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Filter already replaced. I'm wondering about the fuel pump, though the dealer thinks this can't be the cause. Not as though they have any better idea!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, sounds like an EGR fault, very common on this engine.

when it doesn't start, its usally because the EGR valve is stuck open, it gets sooted up and tends to stick when hot, so when recovery turn up its prob cooled down and closed.

Your dealer should know about this as almost every carens with same engine suffers with this!

There is an ECU upgrade to stop this happening, plus it will prob req an EGR body.

It is the first place i would be looking.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meant to reply earlier, but better late than never: It was indeed the EGR valve - a very simple half-hour job. Excellent support from Kia Customer Services - including the loan of a very nice Toyota Avensis estate for a fortnight while the dealer liaised with Kia Tech support.

Not blaming anybody, but it would have saved Kia a load of money (they also paid for the annual service and MOT!) if they'd gone immediatelyfor the simplest and what seems to be the most well-known solution.

The dealer felt they could only do exactly as told by Kia, or they'd be in bigtrouble. Just a pity that there's no room for discussion - or so it seems.

However, nice to have my car back and running sweetly ... so far.

·
Registered
437 Posts
To save trolling back through the topic, im guessing your pro ceed is the 2.0 CRDI. EGR valve is one of the downfalls for that engine they stick open/shut so easily and is very common for them to be replaced

1 - 7 of 7 Posts