Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with a hello - I'm Gemma, just new to the forum, came across a thread from a google search and I'm really hoping someone here can help...

I saw an old thread (from a couple of years ago) about replacement keys and I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

I have an '03 plate Kia Rio, and I have lost my key. I'm really not keen on forking out around £300 for a new one from a dealer! I have been looking online (my boyfriend suggested) and I've found this key that I think might be part way to me getting this sorted:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200684086437&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I understand that the transponder will need to be programmed - how do I go about doing this? I have one other key, but I share the car with a friend. I would be able to use their key for their sake of getting the key cut, but I'm not really in a position where I can send it off anyway as my friend will need to use the car (I actually don't drive it that much).

I have checked with a couple of key cutting shops in my area and they would be able to cut the key for me, but not programme the transponder. I don't need a remote locking key as this has never worked since I had the car so I'm not fussed about it.

Any help would be greatfully received! Although I don't use the car much I am hardly using it at all at the moment...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi gemma. Im john. Try a company www.cannockchaselocksmiths.co.uk. Hope they can advice you?If im correct there are about 4 or 5different colouredkeys for kia.Mine is a green one but still as a transponder moulded in it. My local key shop as the blanks to cut and reprogram the new key. Single key no central locking.J.T

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had to do this with a Rio we had with only one key, had to buy a blank key from Kia then take it to a key cutting place to get it copied from the original. Had to take the new key and car back tro Kia Dealer to get it programmed. The blank key was about £9, the reprogramming was £90!!!!

Colb

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Shocking labour charge for a job that takes a couple of minutes to do. But without the software you are at their mercy I'm afraid. Sounds like they have charged you an hours labour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts