Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all KIA owners.. I am now the proud new owner of a KIA 1.4SR-7 Special edition (2008 plate), having spent several weeks unravelling the mysteries of the different versions of their pre 2010 range by using web-research, conversations with dealers and several conversations with KIA head office.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I even browsed several KIA forums, and didn't even get all the answers there! So perhaps some of the following information may be of use (forgive me if you knew all of this):

1) Regarding the models, I finally discovered that the SR-7 and Special edition are one and the same. There will be a logo on the left rear side of the car saying SR-7. The S, SR and GS are lower ""Trim""� specs, Though I'm still a tad unsure about how the LS and SR-7 differ. The new 2010 model specs are called 1,2 and 3. Also the SR-7 is replaced by the VR-7.

2) Regarding warranty, and I quote 2 different KIA customer services staff at UK Head Office, ""ALL cee'ds have a 7 year warranty including the older versions (2008 to 2010)""�. Also, by giving them your car registration, they can tell you exactly when your warranty expires (based on your car having had all its required services. Although it states a 7 year warranty, some things are only covered for 3 or 5 years (e.g. Audio and Paint) and the maximum mileage is 100,000 even if that's less than 7 years. And the warranty applies to the car which automatically passes on to any subsequent owners.

3) They can also tell you if you missed any mandatory recalls AND ""known issues""� (known as TSBs in the trade I believe). Any KIA dealer is obliged to sort these out free of charge. Any quibbles from the dealer, then you ask to speak to Luke at head office ""“ Telephone 0845 601 7521. This includes the notorious ""doors not unlocking in cold weather""� issue. I found him extremely friendly and helpful.

4) Regarding servicing, a European law was passed in 2003 whereby the warranty stands even if you have not previously used an official dealer ""“ IE you use a ""reputable""� garage.

5) Regarding full specification details (Interior, exterior, performance and engine) The best and most comprehensive website I have found is www.buyacar.com

These were the main points I specifically wanted to get to grips with, prior to buying my car.

So if you go for a pre-owned (used) KIA cee'd I hope this information is helpful.

I'd be curious as to how many were sold into the UK market, and forgot to ask the KIA head office ""“ they might not know. Finally, I welcome any useful information not widely known (good or bad).

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Many thanks for the info - hopefully a great help to other members.
What other forums did you try, I found here and kia-forums.com a great help.

I'm due a 60k service and it will be my 3rd not done at a dealers, my mate owns a garage and will do it - still using genuine KIA parts but without the labour costs it's a great saving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I had noticed a number of views of my post, and was becoming a little disheartened that nobody had said hi, etc.

I too have always used an independent garage for a number of years. But, I think I'm correct in saying that when it comes to warranty, recall stuff, one has to go to an authorised dealer. I now have my first booking in to such for the two outstanding "Known issues" that the previous owner never had checked, even though he had had the services done at the KIA dealer where he bought it from. As for the car - I am thrilled with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome :)

I hope to be able to contribute from time to time, as well as glean information.

By the way, does this owners' org "extend beyond the internet"? I.E. Do you ever have real-life events, meetings, etc.?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Murph ; Not sure I can face going through all the various "definitions" I've heard about the SR7 variations to the others (chuckles). One place said they only had front fogs and another saidfront and back(mine has front and back). One place said similar to your definition but added "and leather pack"... And I'm still unclear what a leather pack is! I read another debate about "coat hooks" with the rear passenger hand "thingies" - I have the two rear passenger "thingies" and a coat hook..... ARGGHHHHHH.

The KIA owners' manual was "fun" to read - with almost every other page refering to various features as "(if equipped)"... After 20 minutes of repeatedly telling my wife, "We have that, we don't have that...", She suggested we "Find out as we drive it, and if the wheels and engine are there, then anything else is a bonus." She also thinks the "sunglasses slot" in the roof will be great for keeping some lippy and mascara, as we neither of us wear sunglasses! Surely they should go in the "chilled glove box" so they won't melt? Considering I have only seen the inside of my sadly-traded-in 10 year old corolla for the past decade, I now have enough gizmos and features (can you get a degree / PHd studying them?) to last me beyond the 7 year warranty. The 6 disc changer proves how sad and old we are - we only posess 4 CDs, and wonder what to do with our music cassettes. I'm techy enough to know that a USB cable fits into our computer and mobile phone - Can I now text the headlights and play spider solitaire (Windows XP) on the dashboard???

My first attempt at tooting the horn changed the radio from BBC2 to BBC3 (The dealer kindly programmed in the channels according to my wish-list, and YES I did include BBC1) - Ahhh that's what the buttons on the steering wheel are for!

Suddenly I feel very old, uneducated and un-techy at a mere 51, having to rely on my younger wife's knowledge of all the techy advancements over the past decade, passed on from her two teenage sons.

Putting all this aside, this car exceed's (excuse the ceed pun) all my expectations, and I daren't imagine what improvements have been made with recent ceed range!

I hope others in this forum have a good sense of humour...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello M4Trundler!

"Wireless".. I hear the younger members asking "What's a wireless?..." So far I've got BBC 1 to 5 and my local Peak FM. I gather I can programme a heap load more, but 6 stations is enough for me to remember which corresponds to which number! I've yet to try the other music widgets.

Without wading through the warranty stuff again, you are probably right. After reading several pages of what they DON'T cover, I'm wondering why they simply didn't state "We cover everything except the car, especially if it's been driven out of the showroom."

But, that said,the fact that KIA H.O. told me upfront about the 2 "known issues" on mine, and that they would check and sort it (if needing sorting) was enough to convince me that it sounds like I could be dealing with a relatively honest and obliging company.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
People think "wireless" these days is something to do with the internet...

So long as you find yourself a good main dealer you should be ok. The few relatively minor issues I've had have been rectified free of charge.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was one of the "deciding factors" persuading us to check the car out when we first heard about it: Namely Luke at the KIA H.O. found on his central computer system that there were 2 outstanding issues to be checked out on our car. The "Free of charge" (always music to my ears) at the local KIA dealer reassured me that they look after their cars even when sold on!

So that's where we are off to this afternoon. I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having retrieved my car from the local dealer (see previous posting), I am extremely pleased with the work done. Namely two "known issues" needing both the door latch system and some harness wiring replaced. I am probably one of the last to have this done, as most would have had theirs sorted in the first year to 18 months. I think I've struck doubly lucky based on the various reports of unhelpful KIA dealers, because this dealership group treated me as if I were an original customer.

For future servicing, I've agonised over whether to stick with my tried and tested independent garage of some 7 years, or to go witha KIA dealer. Yes, I am sure the independent would work out cheaper, but I'm a bit of a stickler for wanting to "do things by the book". My local KIA dealer obviously knows the ceed inside out, has prooved they can get parts in very quickly, happens to do a "spread the costs over a year" package, and ultimately KIA can never argue the odds over any warranty issues that may arise over the next 4 years with a clear cut service history by their own dealer. All in all, for me, on this occasion whilst my wallet tells me to go cheaper/independent, my instincts tell me to stick with KIA.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Based on past experiences other makes of car I detest main dealers! We use a local guy to service our cars and when he came round last week to collect our daughter's car for it's service he saw my new Kia Soul on the drive and told me that he wouldn't touch it, he said "I know you don't expect me to say this but take it to the main dealer as they are pretty good" He said Kias are brilliant & rarely go wrong and that the warranty is fantastic
He then said quite a few of his customers & laughed & said ex-customers are buying Kias.

Hopefully get to meet you in Buxton on Saturday Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts