Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Sorry if this post is a bit long
Joined this group just as I needed a bit of advise from people who have owned Kia’s and know a lot more about cars than I do. I have a 2014 Sportage Awd 2.0 diesel manual.
Currently has 51000 on the clock.
my clutch pedal biting point was very very close to the floor for a while now but I just got used to it. Eventually it was struggling to go Into gear and was in drivable and took it to the garage. They Charged me for a full 3 piece clutch 🤷🏻‍♂️ for a cost of £1400 fitted. But told me I also need the clutch master cylinder changed at a cost of a further £250. I just wanted to get a idea if this is a normal price range for this kind of job and surely at 50k miles I shouldn’t be getting these issues. Bearing in mind I already had the turbo go after 2 months of owning (Kia replaced under warranty) any help reply or advise would be much appreciated
Thank you for taking your time to read.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds about right cost wise. Labour chargers per hour can be £100+.

Clutch life is impossible to say.....depending on how its been driven.

I could destroy one in 50 miles if I slipped it badly, driven well you can easily get 100k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds about right cost wise. Labour chargers per hour can be £100+.

Clutch life is impossible to say.....depending on how its been driven.

I could destroy one in 50 miles if I slipped it badly, driven well you can easily get 100k miles.
Thanks for your reply
Yeah your definitely right about how it is driven. I just thought I might be getting a bit ripped off with the prices and did i a have a problem car.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Yes you are being ripped off. A quick look on various parts suppliers shows clutch kits from well known manufacturers £250 and master cylinder less than £50. So even with the VAT of £140 and main dealer rates of £100 it's taking more than 10 hours to change a clutch! At independent garage rates of £40-50 an hour , 20 hours!!. I would think £500- 750 more realistic at an independent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If i had been asked to look at your car i would have looked at the clutch master cylinder first being the cheaper of the two jobs. Was the clutch slipping or noisey or just the bitting point. Did it not get better if you pumped the clutch pedal.??

·
Registered
215 Posts
If i had been asked to look at your car i would have looked at the clutch master cylinder first being the cheaper of the two jobs. Was the clutch slipping or noisey or just the bitting point. Did it not get better if you pumped the clutch pedal.??
It is possible that the slave cylinder is faulty. I'm not sure if this model has an internal concentric slave cylinder which would necessitate removal of the gearbox anyway. But cheapest option first is definitely good advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is possible that the slave cylinder is faulty. I'm not sure if this model has an internal concentric slave cylinder which would necessitate removal of the gearbox anyway. But cheapest option first is definitely good advice.
I've had a quick Google and it appears the slave cylinder is external. I would suggest a different garage might save you a considerable sum of money

·
Registered
215 Posts
If this included the dmf that part is around £700 alone
DMF for this model is £250- 300. The garage that gave the original quote doesn't know if it's worn. It's only done 51000 miles. The symptoms of DMF failure - noise and vibration- were not mentioned. This sounds like diagnosis by changing all the parts at your expense. As mentioned previously start with the actuation of the clutch. Master cylinder and fluid change. Avoid this garage

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do you have a link to where I can get a dmf for a mk3 Sportage for £300?
Happy New Year. The DMF I looked at was in fact a 2010 which I think is a mk2 so apologies. But I have seen a LuK at Micks Garage for £477 and a complete clutch kit including DMF for £740 from UKNCD. There are cheaper ones on ebay but I would be uncertain of their providence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts