Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sportage S-Line GT Sport is coming up for a change of front tyres. At present it is fitted with Continental 245/45 R19 98 W's. I guess this has been discussed before, but are there any recommendations? The current tyres have done 16,000 miles and there is still 1 or 2k left.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I changed all four Continentals on our GT Line after 26k miles (rotated back to front to even out wear) Replaced with Avon ZX7 payed £100 each from Blackcircles on their last November Black Friday offer. Quieter than originals, overall pleased with the results. How long they last is another question though. :unsure:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agree that the Continentals are noisy - I went Michelin at £175 a corner - not cheap, but a good tyre IMO

·
Registered
393 Posts
I changed all four Continentals on our GT Line after 26k miles (rotated back to front to even out wear) Replaced with Avon ZX7 payed £100 each from Blackcircles on their last November Black Friday offer. Quieter than originals, overall pleased with the results. How long they last is another question though. :unsure:
Avon's on my motorbike back in the day were super sticky but I only got 5K out of them with mostly normal use and an occasional "yahoo" moment.
No idea if its different for cars but Avon always seem to be touted as grippy / quiet but not many miles on forums I've read. I guess grippy / quiet comes from a softer compound which also is why the mileage might be lower than others.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Avon's on my motorbike back in the day were super sticky but I only got 5K out of them with mostly normal use and an occasional "yahoo" moment.
No idea if its different for cars but Avon always seem to be touted as grippy / quiet but not many miles on forums I've read. I guess grippy / quiet comes from a softer compound which also is why the mileage might be lower than others.
Even if they don't last so long, they are also quite cheap. So the cost-per-mile might well be comparable anyway.

I don't think you can categorise a brand as being 'soft' or 'long lasting'. All tyre firms make numerous models of tyre, some of which will be much softer and grippier than others.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Avon's on my motorbike back in the day were super sticky
Unless you fitted their "RoadRiders" which to say the least like riding on ice.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unless you fitted their "RoadRiders" which to say the least like riding on ice.....
LOL I stick to Michelins on the bike. Their Road 5 is excellent - I get through a set a year. Or rather I did, before COVID and WFH all the time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would suggest fitting all season tyres then you're prepared for the cold weather. Most people don't understand that standard (aka summer) tyres lose their effectiveness below 7 deg celcius.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts