Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Just collected my Soul Tempest CDRI yesterday (contract-hire)! I changed from a Seat Ibiza SC 1.9TDI which was/is a great car, but needed more boot space for my business which involves carting audio equipment around from time to time.

I looked at the Skoda, Nissan Note & Fiat Cubo (ugh). Nothing matched the Soul for value-for-money, especially with the deals going at the moment to clear old stock.

Initial impressions?

Love the shape. Great to drive with a slick gearbox. The steering does not have the resolution of the Seat, but its to be expected with those huge tyres!

Engine lively & matches the Seat.

Suspension is wonderfully stiff & planted. I love stiff suspensions having spent 3 years with a Smart Brabus ForFour, I wont complain about the Soul
! I have happened to home-in on the tyre noise tho, which I am finding rather annoying because I am getting a fixed pitch musical note drone, rather than a variable rumble, which sounds like a duff wheel bearing to me. If anyone can enlighten me on this, I would be grateful..........

Economy-wise, I think the soul will match the Seat. I have heard commented that the Soul is not aerodynamically efficient, but I dont think this is the case. The front is rounded & smooth, & reminds me of the old Alfa Romeo Giulia, which had & rounded front & chopped tail & was one of the first cars designed in a wind-tunnel!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia

The Soul has areas of brilliance with its aesthetics, rear view camera, stereo, bluetooth & handling! It also has areas primitivity, with its cable throttle, crappy door handles & tyre noise! However, I accept its limitations & I am sure the next model will address a few of these issues.

The car reminds me of me.......down to earth & a bit rough around the edges!

Cheers

Vic

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Welcome Vic, some interesting first impressions. I look forward to your second impressions in a year or so. I was suprised on your performance comments... every VW diesel engine i have sat behind has been a flyer - the Soul is much more subdued. Also the VW was always more economical too. Anyway - good luck with it and keep posting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Where did you get the idea that it has a throttle cable? I had problems with my Shaker CRDI and had the throttle pedal with it's potetiometerchanged. The potentiometer responds to the throttle pedal travel and the CPU reacts from the electrical signal received. It is a " fly by wire " throttle, no cable fitted.

Glad you like the car.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Vic, welcome to the fold, glad you like the Soul. I have a 2010Tempest diesel but have the ,at least I think they are, better older type door handles. Tyre noise on my Hankooks is not to bad and they are quite long lasting on mileage. It does not have a throttle cable as far as I am aware as Nat said,all in all its a good car with some faults but in general better than most.Happy motoring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys.....thanks for the replies!

Tempest....my 0-60 timed for the SEAT was just under 11 secs....similar to the CRDI Soul....no?

Nat....I remain confused re throttle cable & confess have not checked under my bonnet! I read it was not easy to fit cruise control on the Soul because of the old fashioned cable control. Maybe that was on a USA forum? Then I did read your posting about the 'problem' you had.

Dave....I think the door handles lost something in translation!

Am taking the car in this afternoon to have the drone checked out.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My old Fiat despite been 25% less powerful had a similar 0-60 time and top speed to the Soul according to the book...... but it runs rings round the Soul on everyday grunt in the gears and would wind right off the end of the speedo at top whack....try that on a Soul.... the Soul is a plod along quietly and admire the view sort of car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to the Soul family Vic, and I am sure you will love the Tempest its a great car,look forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Tempest....with the cost of fuel my boy-racing days are over! I'm happy to plod along nowadays, especially in such a great looking car!

Thank you for the welcome Syl! Everyone here so friendly

Took the car over to Kia N'Hampton. They heard the noise, which sounds like blowing air over the spout of a bottle. Its there continuously & doesnt vary, which is why I dont think its tyre noise. Its booked in for tomorrow so they can investigate further.

Took the car for a long run after & filled her up. I think I screwed things up here because I tried to fill to the brim as a reference to check fuel consumption. It clicked at about 44lt.....but I kept going. At 54lt, I stopped & looked under the car expecting to find a puddle. I spent £7........., but there was no sign of it topping up or slowing down & I was afraid it would swallow another 30lt.

I then checked the manual which stated to STOP at the first click & DONT TOP UP
! It must be screwing up all the computer settings cos I was gunning it down the Mway, but it was showing over 50mpg average with 273 miles to the next refill!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...cant figure how to edit.....that should read £72 for fuel!

Pleased with handling, by the way. You can throw this beast around roundabouts with little protestation!

oh.............found edit now

Edited by: K9vap

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is correct, Dave. I test drove the flip up handle version, & they seemed solid. The flip out ones the whole door seems to flex!

·
Registered
283 Posts
No throttle cable on mine. It is drive by wire;

Edited by: anchorman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well.....got the car back from KIA regarding wheel noise. Apparently normal, & it seems to have toned down a bit. Maybe the new tyres needed bedding in.

My average fuel consumption using the trip computer is whacko....I think because I over-filled the tank
. Hopefully, when the level reduces I will get some meaningful readings.

I accept my model is fly-by-wire regarding throttle cable. Some of the petrol models I am sure use cable. The weird thing is I ordered some sports pedals for my car & the throttle pedal wouldnt fit. In the instructions, its states there are 2 different covers, one for the electronic pedal & one for the mechanical pedal which has a cut-out. My Tempest has a mechanical pedal, but no cable
. KIA ordered me the wrong one!

·
Registered
17 Posts
K9vap said:
Well.....got the car back from KIA regarding wheel noise. Apparently normal, & it seems to have toned down a bit. Maybe the new tyres needed bedding in.

My average fuel consumption using the trip computer is whacko....I think because I over-filled the tank
. Hopefully, when the level reduces I will get some meaningful readings.

I accept my model is fly-by-wire regarding throttle cable. Some of the petrol models I am sure use cable. The weird thing is I ordered some sports pedals for my car & the throttle pedal wouldnt fit. In the instructions, its states there are 2 different covers, one for the electronic pedal & one for the mechanical pedal which has a cut-out. My Tempest has a mechanical pedal, but no cable
. KIA ordered me the wrong one!
When I collected my car at the weekend I filled it up to the brim and the range computer was telling me I had enough fuel for 318 miles, I nearly had a heart attack! I had chopped in my previous car which would supposedly do 340 miles on a tank!!
After a couple of journeys the car eventually found a more truer range, so it will probably "catch up" soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Wampa. How many litres did your car take to fill to the brim? From near empty mine took 54, & still going! I had to look under the car to make sure there wasnt a leak........

·
Registered
79 Posts
I nearly fell over when you said slick gearbox! Mines like driving and old Scammel HGV!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had 2 test drives in different vehicles.
The first was vague & rough. The second was slicker.
Mine is very slick, smooth, light & precise. I am very pleased!

·
Registered
17 Posts
K9vap said:
Thanks Wampa. How many litres did your car take to fill to the brim? From near empty mine took 54, & still going! I had to look under the car to make sure there wasnt a leak........
Sorry, I cant remember how much I put in, I do remember is cost me £62 though (probably doesnt help and I'll get my coat!!)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
we have had this overfill thing lots of times.... if the car is on a slope, it would seem that you fill up the expansion area of the tank and get up to 60 litres in it!!!!. The overfill warning is for the petrol cars as they have a charcoal canister for absorbing petrol fumes which dosent like been flooded..... i doubt the diesel has one..... maybe that too is why it seems that the diesel owners only report the bigger tanks - cos without the canister there is more space in there?.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts