Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am picking up a March 2017 Sportage 1.6 Diesel CRDI 2 next week and it is my first Kia. I've paid £13,855 and I'm not sure if we could have done better with the negotiating but after the experience we had a couple of days earlier at a Honda dealer looking at a CRV we thought it's all relative if you love the car, happy with the dealership etc and it all seems stress free what the hell and just went for it.

I have a few newbie questions though:-

The previous owner took out a 5yr service plan which will be passed onto us, the dealer said they will do the 4th service now and then we still have the 5th one covered next year as well, am I right in thinking Yr 4 is a big service and how much would that normally cost?

Also I believe it had a safety recall on it and they said that will be dealt with, something to do with a new fuse to ensure they don't catch fire, is that right?

We only do about 9000 miles a year and I know with low mileage you shouldn't get a diesel however our current car is a 1.6l petrol cmax, I always went with the rule if you do low miles don't get a diesel however the Cmax is rubbish on power. I decided if we're going down the SUV route you really need a diesel although I suppose I could have got a 2ltr but the £30 road tax on the Kia was to good to turn down. We do tend to have a good run out most weekends though I am well aware of potential DPF issues, I was just wondering the best way to manage it is there any benefit from putting in additives, and if so which ones? and is it true that I should avoid supermarket petrol and is there really any extra benefit in the premium fuels?

Would also be interested to know if there is anything else I need to watch out for or anything to bring up with the dealer.

Think that's about it for now everything so far seems great, cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance, no service to pay for until March 23 it all seems a bit too good.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I can't answer for the cost of the 4th service, but there are some threads on the forum about this subject. A quick search brought up this thread.
Yes there is a recall for the ABS fuses, look in the fuse box in engine bay, there should be two labels stuck on inside of the lid. This thread has some details.
Taking the car for a decently long journey so that the engine, and in particular the exhaust, gets hot. The DPF will clean itself. I have had no issues with the DPF on either of the cars I've had, but our car does get a good run out at least once a week. I've never tried additives and don't buy into the premium fuels thing (that will start an argument ;))
You ask if there is anything to look for, I recommend you spend a little time reading through the Sportage 2016-2021 section. There is a lot of good information in there.
Enjoy your car. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
This is a reply I made to a previous thread, which hopefully covers most the possible Sportage issues:-

I've only driven a Golf once, a hire car many years ago, so I can't compare. I moved from a Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer 2.0 CDTi to a 2017 Sportage KX-2 2.0 CRDi and now a 2020 Sportage GT-Line 2.0 CRDi 48V. Both my Sportages were manual gear boxes, so I can't comment on any of the auto models. However there are a few things you need to take into consideration.
Kia don't do an options list, so if you want a particular spec you have to look up through the range to find it. Avoid the '1' model, it is the base model and lacks some of the toys. The '4' and the GT-Line S are at the other end of the scale, with all the toys you could wish for.
Firstly the Sportage is a big lump of a machine so don't expect lightening quick acceleration, but it is quick enough for today's needs. It has all the aerodynamics of a breeze block, although it handles well, so MPG is not great. Some think the 19" wheel Sportage's are not a comfortable ride, personally I don't have an issue. They have plenty room and although the boot isn't massive it does the job.
You don't say what year you are looking at, but a couple of things on early facelift models you need to be aware of. Some 2016 to 2017/18 models have two issues with the steering. The first is in cold weather, and when the car is cold, it groans when turning, this fades away as the car warms up. Secondly some owners found the steering can be woolly in a straight line, needing continuous wheel adjustments to keep it straight. Both these issues have fixes. I've not seen anyone report these problems on later model. Sportage clutches can judder when cold and wet, not something I've experienced.
The Lane Keep Assist and Stop/Start (ISG) seem to be a Marmite issue, so check both functions if you can (the ISG is temperamental on the diesel cars.
Some owners whose cars have the glass sun roof report they are noisy and can creak. Also there have been issues with the opening mechanism jamming. I can't comment, neither of my cars had sun roofs, but search the forum for more info
Any car you choose make sure it has a full service history, the 7 year warranty is dependant on it. And be aware if you like to keep the media system/sat nav updated it needs a dealer visit and will cost you £40 a year. Some owners find this charge completely outrageous and can't see why they shouldn't be able to do it themselves.
After all that you may think I'm not keen on the Sportage, well I'm on my second and love them. It pulls like a train, does everything I want of it and I love driving it.
I am sure other members will be along in a minute to add their thoughts.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi

I am picking up a March 2017 Sportage 1.6 Diesel CRDI 2 next week....................

......... I am well aware of potential DPF issues, I was just wondering the best way to manage it is there any benefit from putting in additives, and if so which ones? and is it true that I should avoid supermarket petrol and is there really any extra benefit in the premium fuels?

If you are buying a 1.6 diesel, I would certainly avoid supermarket petrol, or any other petrol come to that!

Just remember when moving from a petrol to a diesel engine vehicle, that the petrol nozzle will fit into the diesel filler on the car and it could be a costly error!

I have one of these fitted to prevent mis-fuelling (I have no connection to the company other than being a customer):

Which has saved my wife ‘embarrassment’ on more than one occasion at the fuel station, as her own car is petrol but she sometimes drives (and very occasionally refuels) my diesel Sportage.

Re the 'Premium Fuels', I very very occasionally put in a tank full of Esso Synergy Supreme+ Diesel - but only when they are giving a 20x nectar points or 1000 extra nectar points for putting in 25 litres type offer! Other than that I put in whatever standard diesel is cheapest when passing by.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Supermarket fuel is fine.
Premium diesel has pretty much zero benefit over standard diesel.
Only in petrol does premium make a difference - and even then only if the car is tuned to take advantage of the additional RON rating of super unleaded.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
350 Posts
Thanks I will take a look.

On the fuel thing I was thinking of using standard then just splashing out and putting a tank full of premium stuff in once every now and then.
That's what I do. The "premium" near me is only 2p a litre more. I just fill up there now and again when I'm passing the garage that has it. Only difference is that it has no bio diesel in it, the rest, supermarket or garage, all comes from the same refineries whether its garage or supermarket and had 7% bio diesel in it.

I do it because it makes my brain think its giving the car a treat 😂 I also dump a can of normfest ct60 directly into the fuel filter housing when I change it. Something my mechanic uncle did for years, rather than popping it into the tank.

It probably does nothing to "clear out" the engine and makes no difference. But it makes my brain feel better.

Also, is the 1.6 the one with an ad blue tank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.