Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here and buying a new Sportage tomorrow. Just wondering if you took out the RTI (Gap) insurance? It's so much money if anything happened I want it covered, but at a cost that seems to be beaten hands down online. I'm confused as to which (if any) product is the best for me. Oh, so many decisions!!! Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Likely that a dealer will charge much more for the same cover you can get yourself online. They'll try to punt several things at you while you're in a state of delirium. You can take gap later - you don't have to do it from day one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
As MaybeKIA said, you dont have to get it from the dealer. Which had an article out this month and GAP insurance can be purchased at half the price. If you are buying a new sportage, check with your insurance company, as they might have return to original price (new for old) for the first year of ownership.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I change Car Insurance companies almost every year as I seek the best deal, not always the cheapest but best value factoring in the 'extras'. When I bought my new Sportage 4 months ago I switched to Kia Insurance because it was very competitive and guaranteed a brand new Kia should mine be written off within the first year. I am aware of 'gap' insurance that some companies provide,VW for instance, for years 2 and 3 of ownership where the insurance 'company / supplier' makes up the difference between the write off value and the new replacement cost. Never considered these as very good value as, pound for pound, you are paying very heavily for a relatively small amount of insurance. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am getting a little nervous now in my choice! I do love the new Sportage, but just not familiar with the KIA brand.

I have decided to take a look at their RTI insurance when I'm in, it's free for the first 6months (but believe most comprehensive insurances pay out within the first yr anyway), I think there is a 14day cooling off period and as I don't get the car until March I think it would start as of then, giving me time to research this in more detail.

Appreciate your responses, it does look like I can get the equivalent for less, bet half of it goes to salesman anyway!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah as above get GAP insurance but check online, I bought mine for a third of the price quoted by the dealer. Who end up going bust anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I work for an Insurance company who supplies gap insurance direct to the public.

There are three main types of gap insurance.

Finance Gap - Pays the difference between your Kia's valuation and the outstanding finance.

Return to invoice - Pays the difference between your Kia's valuation and the invoice price your paid ( combination include or the outstanding finance which ever is the higher.)

Vehicle replacement pays the difference between your Kia's valuation and the replacement cost even if this has gone up.

Which one is best for you depends on what you want your policy to do and your circumstances.

You can buy quality gap insurance on line and find the same if not better levels of cover for a fraction of the cost. Just Google Kia Gap Insurance get some quotes read the policies and make your own mind up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts