Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who's wondering what the new sportage is like in the snow... the answer is... it's great. I'm in Italy at the moment and found some white stuff today in the mountains...

http://...youtube.../watch?v=3kRSWUl2vRI

The diff lock makes a giant difference in the snow... no luck getting up the hill until I turned it on, then sailed up...

It's a great car. There is definitely something up with the steering though (as mentioned elsewhere) - it's tricky to keep it in a straight line on the motorway... but you get the hang of it. Hopefully Kia will come up with a fix soon...

And yeah, the mpg is not so good to start with. First tank I only got 32mpg (this is a 2.0 diesel) but the second 37, and the third 40. Done 1450 miles so far since collecting last week and she's definitely loosening up. Not sure if I'll ever see the claimed 47, but we'll see...

Only other complaint is that I think the pedal sensor for the cruise control is a bit sticky, sometimes you can't engage it on the motorway - dip the clutch and bring it back up and then you can. Weird.

For you guys still waiting, keep the pressure up... although I have to say even with a long wait, the car is worth it. Very comfortable and the toys are fun...

Jules

·
Registered
114 Posts
WoW have you got standard tyres or snow tyres ? Had the cruise pack up on ours other day so will try the clutch next time it does it, and yes the steering takes a bit of getting used to but hopefully kia will fix this and as for the mpg don`t know about the claimed 47 mpg but we gave ours a run to Scotland in 6th gear most of the way and only got 40 mpg but may improve with mileage. but all in all its a cracking car and now we know it can handle the white stuff thank`s to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya - that's the bog standard UK tyres... it had no problem in the snow at all once the diff lock was on. OK so it's not exactly going to deal with serious off roading in 2 ft powder, but in a UK winter I'm pretty confident now... certainly more so than I was in my old vw glof... just gotta remember that stopping is no different, still skids!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Jules,
What did you mean by keeping a straight line on the motorway?
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Had the very same problem with the 2009 Sportage Titan that I had, had to dip the clutch every now and then to get the cruise control to set.

First tank full of fuel returned 34.1 mpg motorway driving at between 110 ""“ 120Kph.
Hopefully this should improve.

I'm definitely going to get winter tyres for my SPORTAGE KX3 NAV especially after last winter!
No problems going up or down hills with the Titan but a bit tricky going round corners driving on tyres that felt as if they were made of mahogany.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ian,

Well, it's tricky to describe. If you let go of the steering wheel, it doesn't pull to either side, but it's as if you're driving a digital system and it's not calibrated for straight to be possible... It feels like I'm constantly switching between driving ever so slightly to the left and ever so slightly to the right. It's a really tiny movement, but you do have to keep correcting the car. I'm here in Italy at the moment and I have to say it made the drive through france more tiring than it should have... but after a while you relax and get used to it. But still it feels like something is not right... Driving around town or on windy roads, you don't notice it, but on a nice smooth euro motorway you can really feel that something is a bit odd.

BTW, today I went up some pretty hairy and steep dirt tracks up here in the mountains. This car can do it no problem... traction light flashed on a few times but the thing just kept plodding up the slope. Impressive :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Jules, you mention you used the diff lock to travel in snow which I believe is 50/50 power to front and back. However as I understand it, the AWD should kick in automatically when the front wheels sense traction loss but the power is 60/40. So my question is did you try the automatic AWD first and was it not enough to get u thru the snow so you then opted for the diff lock (50/50)? As far as pulling to left and right I don't notice it and I'm on the motorway daily but only for 40mins at a time so perhaps don't sense it. The steering is VERY light compared to my last car(volkswagen passat cc) but I kinda like it and you quickly get used to it-well I have done anyway.
Drove from Belfast to Dublin 2wks ago (200mls+ round trip) and the cruise control worked perfectly-very nice.
My cd player however may have a problem as it will only play 1st 3 tracks then stops playing-must compare with my wifes car cd player. Does anybody know if the cd player is faulty will the 7yr guarantee replace it?
Bluetooth can be a bit frustrating but that might be my stupid mobile-when pressing the voice control button and i say the number it keeps saying something like "pardon" or "cancel." Doesn't happen all the time but you'd expect it to work all the time after spending over 21k on this car.
After all that whingeing I love this car and can't wait for the snow. Regards Johnathan (Belfast-still haven't seen one other FE on the road here!!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey johnathan - have a look at that youtube clip I posted... all will become clear...

yes your cd player should be sorted/swapped under warranty!

bluetooth works great in my car with the one exception that sometimes when I turn off the ignition, my phone doesn't release the bluetooth properly and then won't connect again until I pull the phone's battery out and put it back in again. Could be a prob with the phone (nokia n96) although it works with no issue in my wife's car which has a sony bluetooth head unit...

I should add that her iphone bluetooth works fine in the kia, no problems at all...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Jules,saw your clip on youtube-interesting but still don't know if you had diff lock on or were you going up that hill in ordinary AWD? you looked as if you were skidding quite a bit BUT you did get up it so well done kia sportage and snow looked quite dee too. Thanks for other info. By the way-now you've done a lengthy journey (r u bak yet?) are u still happy with the car/ Johnathan

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Jules,
I got the car delivered last Thursday night, jumped in it crack of sparrows Friday morning having never driven it before! Calais across to Germany through France in cruise most of the way (5 hours) only slowing down for the toll gates.
I have done this journey quite a few times in my old Sportage Titan. I found that the Titan was quite sensitive to the road camber and always wanted to drift. The ride was harder also, but I could not complain as it was a very capable car on or off road.
The new one is a lot more comfortable in ride and the arm rests are in the right place and appears to drive in a straight line.
All the bells and whistles work perfect including voice command which IMO is better than on a Range Rover that I used one time.
One thing I found on mine is that the USB remains powered up even when the ignition key is removed.... anyone else had this problem?
I'm checking out winter tyre prices at the moment which range between 150 ""“ 230 Euros each. After last winter I don't want to get into any embarrassing situations.

PS. Have not seen your Youtube clip yet.... company blocks it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on that youtube clip, first time I try and get up this slope I fail dismally - that's without the diff lock. As soon as I switched the diff lock on, she sailed up. Traction light flashed a few times but really there were no problems. The snow was about 1ft deep on the platform that I'd driven up to - had no issues at all. Fun! I think I'll still get a pair of snow socks for skiing at xmas in the french alps, just because you still skid all over the place when coming to a stop!

I'm still here in France, get home at the weekend. 2200 miles so far, should bounce over 3000 on the way home :)

Jules

ps got some great pix of the car in a variety of off roadish situations this week... I'll stick some of them up online when I get home!

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is no diff lock on the Sportage because there is no (central) diff to lock!

·
Registered
112 Posts
well not being mechanical minded I think that when you press a button in the car you can send 50/50 power to front and back instead of 60/40-I don't know if thats diff lock or not but thats what the car can do when needed

·
Registered
197 Posts
johnathan1 said:
well not being mechanical minded I think that when you press a button in the car you can send 50/50 power to front and back instead of 60/40-I don't know if thats diff lock or not but thats what the car can do when needed

Don't worry Johnathan, most motoring journalists keep talking about diff locks too undermining further their limited credibility beyond commenting on the tactileness of the dash plastics.

In the good old days (Series 1 to 3 Landrovers for example) you had 2 axles each with a differential which allowed one wheel on each axle to rotate at a different speed to the other one - fairly essential going around corners for example to avoid tyre scrub. The normal drive was to the rear axle and when you wanted 4WD you pressed a level which locked both axles together via a central drive shaft and transfer box. In those days the only diff locks were in the axles (not between them) as a very expensive optionand their job was to negate the diff so that if one wheel started to spin the drive wasn't transferred to it which is the unhelpful side of a diff.

Then along came the Range Rover which has full time 4WD - and a central differential which allowed both axles to rotate at different speeds as well as thewheels on the axle. It had a diff lock so that in sticky going you could negate the central diff thereby reverting to the good old Series 1 system.

The Sportage 2 & 3 is a bit like the Landrover Series 1 (1948!) in that the vehicle runs most of the time in 2WD (but the front wheels). The transfer box is electronically tiggered by frontwheel slippage and automatically engages to provide 4WD. The button 4WD lock is simply a switch that allows you to lock the axles manually (but it does disengage above 20 MPH or so). The system in the 2 was fairly basic. With the new car, 'Dynamax' is supposed to be far more responsive and of more use at higher speeds as well as at low ones......I'm surprised therefore that it was necessary to lock the wheels manually in the U- tube demo which indicates to me that Dynamax is not quite so smart.

The problem with driving around with the 4WD locked on a good surface is that the 2 axles cannot rotate at different speeds and the transmission winds-up. Yo will know when this is happening as there will be sudden jerks in the steering as the drive shafts try to untwist OR there will be a rather loud and expensive sounding noise.

End of lecture!

Richard

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum.

I'm thinking on leasing a Sportage after another dreadful Scottish winter, saw your post Jules.

Can I ask what model you have?

Is it a 2WD? I'm not sure if the 2WD Sportages have som sort of traction control as standard.

I'm considering the AWD version either a KX2 or KX3.

Any more help about how these have performed in the snow appreciated. Time to get rid of the RX8 and get a decent family car - first baby on the way!!

Hope to hear more from everyone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hiya - well, I'm sure more people will chime in, but from my point of view:

Mine's an AWD, and it was (simply put) brilliant in the snow. I took it to the french alps over christmas and new year and it was absolutely superb.

When we had the really big snow here in Newport Pagnell just before going away, I went for a spin around town in the evening when there were no cars about, really to find the limits of the car. In a nutshell, it's a beast. There's quite a steep hill into a car park here and I was testing out hill starts etc - no problem at all, once you get the hang of it. Diff lock makes a bit of difference but in everyday driving I can't really envisage a time where you'd "need" it. It's hard to get the car stuck! Don't forget on the youtube clip (where I go sliding back down the hill first time around), I'd only had the car a matter of days, and it was first time of taking the car somewhere crazy. You get the hang of it after you've done a few miles :)

That said, I should add that braking in the snow is another matter. In deep snow, the ABS in this car isn't the most useful (it seems a bit overzealous - and you can't switch it off). Also, having pretty flat low profile road tyres doesn't really help things. I also have access to a little Rav4 which has pretty chunky off road tyres (much bigger and deeper tread) and that thing had no issues stopping while going downhill in 6in of snow, where I found myself in the Kia sliding around a bit.

The upshot of it all was that when going to the alps, I got a pair of autosocks to keep in the boot as a backup. They are great and a very useful insurance policy if the going does get really tough (60 quid for a set is a lot cheaper than fixing the car if you slide into a lamppost etc!). Although, I never needed them in the end!

Hope the above is useful. In short, as everyone else I'm sure will say, they are fantastic cars. And it'll be a great improvement over an RX8 come wintertime! Don't expect 47mpg from the 2l diesel though! more like 35 in day to day driving...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks Jules, very useful info. 35 mpg is way better than 19 in the RX8.

What model of AWD do you have - do you have the sat nav version (see other thread).

Also what insurance grp does it come into?

Won't have to worry about Road Tax if I hand it back after 3 years, if I keep it 4 then I'll be looking at possibly 2 MOTs.

As for servicing I believe the interval is 12,500 or every year. I only do 5000 a year so it'll be a service every year.

Hopefully can wangle a service otion into the lease.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine's a "First Edition". It was a special before they launched the rest of the range - basically it's got everything the top spec (KX3 Sat Nav I think is the equivalent) except without Xenons + Headland Washers (shame), Sunroof (no bother), Sat Nav (not really a prob, I've got a tomtom which does the job anyway!).

Insurance group - not sure. For my wife and I fully comp is about 550 quid which is less than my last car (vw glof GT TDI).

Have you taken one for a test drive yet?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm toying with this and the n-Tec Qashqai 4WD. Going to test drive both this weekend.

Think the Qashqai might come out better on MPG, should be interesting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Couldn't resist chipping in. I concur with Jules on theSportage's AWD drive ability in the snow. Pulling away (more like launching) from a snow bound slushy junction leaving others standing can't help butput a cheesy grin on your face.
A colleague has just bought a Qashqai+21.5 Diesel. Only done 800 miles thus far. He took it from Skipton to York and back today. 55mpg out and 42mpg back (approx 50miles each way). This is supposed to be a super eco 2WD. Not sure economy on any car this size would be radically different.I get 42mpg from my 2.0 CRDi FE with theEbenezerboot on the gas.

The Nissan +2 looksfine but the Sportage has the edge (I would say that cos I've got one)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts