Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new KX-3 Sat Nav model (when it eventually arrives) will have Xenons. As I frequently go over to France, does anyone know if there is an easy way to change the Xenons to be Europe legal? Apparently some Xenons have a switchon them. If Kia Xenons don't is it OK to put the black decals over the lights - some people say no as the Xenons get very hot. I would like to be "legal" over there to avoid any fines! There are no headlamp protectors available (yet) as accessories for the new Sportage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the decal is the easiest method. Heat is not an issue as although xenons need very high voltage to fire up they consume very little power (wattage) so will not heat up. If it does concern you, you could fit headlamp protectors (now available from dealer at £50 inc. VAT) and because there will be an air gap between protector and h/light there will be even less heat transmitted. They may even have marks on them for positioning a decal but not sure.

Is your model going to be a 2.0L diesel?

Edited by: Spiderman

·
Registered
114 Posts
As spiderman says xenons on the sportage are only 35wat once they have fired up. On our last car you could put it into Europe mode and the lights moved automatically.
We have a FE with standard headlights and travel to Europe twice a year so had a good look at the lights and there is no obvious way of altering them! but don`t fancy sticking tape or deflectors on them.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sorry been off line for a while.
I have the KX-3 Sat Nav with Xenon lights and was concerned about the beam direction (spend most of the time in Germany)

However when you check the beam it is not directed to the left but straight ahead.

Been using it for nearly 3 months and no one has flashed me unlike the old Sportage I had.
Edited by: ianv

·
Registered
28 Posts
I must admit that never having had Xenon lights before I am not exactly sure of the beam pattern but I would have thought that they were still biased to the left for the UK.

Can anyone else throw more light (oops..no pun intended) on the subject?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you park against a wall at night you can see the left hand side kick`s up and the drivers side is flat

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
By the way, one thingI noticed about Xenon's is -I was driving in a snow storm a couple of weeks ago and the lights got progressively dimmer..... Xenon's run a lot cooler than standard head lights and the snow will collect on the lens.

And defo the beam is straight ahead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts