Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Kia 1.7 Crdi arrived just before Xmas.

Can any one advise me whether it is worth fitting Bosch Pure Light H7 bulbs as I dont know if the bulb supplied is of decent quality?

·
Registered
69 Posts
In short, they're average and the fogs almost useless.

I've been swatting up on this recently so excuse my ramble below.
I replaced the headlight bulbs on my FE a month ago. I've been used to driving a car with factory fitted Xenon headlamps prior to this and now find it quite difficult seeing the wet unlit road when dazzled by oncoming traffic (trying to dodge the ever increasing potholes). The dip beam I changed to Halfords Ultra bright bulbs and the mains to a cheaper 100w halogen (these are illegal I believe). There is an improvement on the dips (slightly whiter light) but the mains are still average. I've read on other forums that some makes of car the wiring looms and lamp reflectors can't take the increased heat and wattage so on the side of caution I've just replace the main beams again, with the Ultra Bright bulbs (back to 55w and advertised 90% increase in brightness). I'll be checking them out on my way home tonight. I was going to replace the fog lamp bulbs but on inspection didn't want to dismantling the inner front wheel arches (looked difficult).

On the whole nothing compares with factory fitted Xenon's (300% improvement) but it is illegal to retro fit so I'll make do with the (rather expensive) Halford own brand bulb upgrade.

Factory fitted xenons are self levelling with headlamp washers.
Driving whilst temporarily blinded aint fun, all you people with illegally fitted Xenons (not you jemnetley)

Chris.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris

I decided not to go for Xenons as the Hyundai 35 dealer I saw before I drove the Kia (same company in effect with similar cars) said they were a nightmare waiting to happen (self levelling fails!) + the fact that they are expensve to replace if you do have an accident. The Hyundai forum has alot about a Which? report (which I have as I am a subsciber) on which bulb to buy to replace. It agrees with you re dipped/mains replcing same style H7 with same wattage Bosch Pure Light bulbs when compared to factory fitted Xenons on a Corsa.

They seem simple to replace - I hope

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got to be the easiest to access and fit of any car I've owned to date.

I've driven with the new bulbs fitted in the mains tonight.

Halfords "Extreme Brilliance" 477EB H7. The light output is brighter and whiter than the onesthey replace (100w). I carefully seated them in place so whether it's the lamp housing or the bulb construction but the throw/spread from the lights is a little to the left onone side. I confirmed this when pulling up in front of a wall.

The self leveling on my Mazda5 didn't fail once during the 2.5 yrs I had it.

The manual leveling on my Mazda6 failed every 12 months (both lamps). I gave up taking it to the dealer in the end.We do have the 7 yr warrantee with Kia but I suppose the bug bare is how often you can put up with taking itback to be fixed.

Let me know what you think of the Bosch Pure Light(they're not cheap either, not sure who makes the Halfords bulbs but they are buy 1 get one free at the moment)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hope that you've not been using your fog lights in good visibility? Apart from being illegal it's fog lights that cause much of the on-coming dazzle at nighttime. They are quite handy though in fog provided you switch off your headlights. The time will come when the front fog lights are interlinked to the headlights so that only one or the other can work.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Osram Nightbreakers are a good bulb. There's a guy on ebay doing them at a great price alot cheaper than Halfrauds.
Ebay item number 190480467971 £10.99 plus £2.99 P&P for a pair
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pure Light are cheaper than Halfords depending on which Halfords one you get. £19 for 2, 12/55W H7's as opposed to £24 and BOGOFF for the 50/90 percent more brilliance.

I am only intending to replace main dipped as they are the ones that will get the most use and the ones which Which? says have the most benefit.

Looking at the light configuration though, it appears they are closest to the outside and on one side at least, there's a 'box' in the way which means you cant take out the bulb 'container' (you can twist and release it though), so you need to remove the whole headlamp array as per the instructions in the manual. Is this correct?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep Ifeel ripped off.... ho hum.

Car not here at mo. On memory it's the outer lamps (highest) with the spherical globes in front of bulb. The covers are like jam jar lids that unscrew about quarter turn. Un-plug bulb connector then push in and then sideways the wire clip to release the bulbs. As for the box in the way I don't have this, there isn't any obstruction on the 2.0 CRDT. Might be easier to move this box than dismantling the light cluster.Me thinks you'llhave to consult a mechanic or await another reply on this thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorted thanks Chris

Didnt realise you just needed to get the jam lid off and that opened everything up. Standard ones made by Philps in Germany so will just need to see if the Bosch make any difference.

Any other future thread followers make sure you get the right bulb as Halfords suggest a different number type (H4) to that mentioned in the brochure (H7)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think a number of bulb suppliers haven't caught-up with the 'Mk3/3G' Sportage and often quote H4 for 2004 onwards which is correct for the 'Mk2/2G' but not the new model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts