Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,283 Posts
These's a consultaion excercise starting but no decisions have been made as yet so don't get too excited just yet

I think it will be a good idea on clear stretches but I suspect there will also be an increase in accidents and injuries/deaths, as, whatever drivers think, speed kills. Shunt a car at 30mph and folk will walk away with a sore neck. The same at 80mph and I think not plus cars and wreckage all over the motorway. Once folk get used to driving at higher speeds and the increase in braking/stopping distance and cornering forces I think the accident rate will fall again. Bad for MPG tho'

Justmy thoughts.
Phil

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Dano said:
I've just been told that the speedlimit is going to be raised to 80 mph from 2013 What are your views ?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/29/speed-limit-raised-80mph?cat=world&type=article
Make it unlimited then I can use my bike to its full potential

No seriously 80mph is fast enough for those ass holes that canny drive. Lack of observation is the main cause of accidents, they dont look in mirrors when overtaking and to see whats happening round about them, they dont look far enough ahead for hazards and end up running up someones ass.
Treat every other driver on the road as an idiot and you may live longer.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be nice but I agree think it's going to mad ! People will cause mire accidents and small cars wont be able to hold that speed for a long period of time.

Davy we will have to go to nurburg ring sometime :D when I've finished my car [:p ] won't beat your beast though :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
And if the police stick to there guidlines you could be doing 88 without penalty. You hit the back of a lorry which are now limited to 50mph it's only the same as hitting a brick wall at 30mph+ plus I also think the faster your going, the harder it is to judge distances and gaps.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
A speed limit on any road is dependant on road conditions
e.g a 30mph limit in a housing scheme is ok at certain times but when there are kids playing then 30 is too fast so you drive slower so you dont crush any of them if they dart onto the road. But come down the road late on when the kids are in the house tuck up in bed then 30 may be ok.
The same goes for major roads or motorways minus the kids of course, if they are busy or there is poor visibility then you would not want to be doing 70 let alone 80.
Speed limits are all conditions related and nobody says we have all to 80 just cause they put it up. I have noticed nowadays more people are driving slower to conserve fuel due to costs.
People just need to be educated more about driving in different conditions and screw the bobbin when out driving and be more aware of what is going on round about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.