Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got delivery of my 2-year old Soul EV. Lovely car, but one disappointment is that I can't add a spacesaver spare in the spare wheel well, as there's some electrical apparatus bolted into it (could be a main battery ventilator fan, by the shape). I'd be interested to know if that guess is correct.

The Key Code (vital if you lose a keyfob and want to replace it, I understand) is not recorded in the Service Record, and the tag normally attached to one of the fobs is not there. There is a Code on the card in the locking wheelnuts box, but I'm guessing that it is only for the key adapter for the nuts - anyone know, please?

Still trying to get my head round the Multimedia System; the book isn't too helpful - apparently I need a 12-year old child to teach me :)

Does anyone know under what conditions the auxiliary battery is charged - mine shows only 50% charge on my electronic battery tester, and I'm wondering if I need to charge it. The book says to remove it from the car - really? I have a CTEK charger, and I've always charged batteries in situ. Hard to believe this case is different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ian, You're right about the electrical apparatus being the cooling fan assembly for the EV battery. The inlet for it is under the front seat, so make sure you don't put anything under the seat :)
My keycode is written in the front cover of the service book, maybe you could try contacting kia for the number?
I think the 12 volt battery is supposedly charged at the end of the charging cycle for the main battery. Keep an eye on the 12v battery though. I've had one fail on me quite suddenly which resulted in me not being able to charge the car. I think it's quite common for the OE battery to fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tez, thanks for the reply and some good tips. I'm keeping an eye on the aux battery - it does seem to run down between charges, but I think it also charges when the car is in "move" mode - not much in my case, as I do mostly short runs. However, my tester shows a SOH of 68% for it, so it's got a bit of life left.

I will try KIA for the number - my service book front cover was not filled in at all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ian, just a little update, I had to go to my pet Kia dealer today and I asked them about missing details in the front cover of the service manual and they said they never enter these details anyway in case the book is left in the car and gets stolen. But, they can get replacement keys on request. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
About the 12v aux. battery : I believe some recommend to just charge it up from time-to-time (e.g. every 6 months or so) to prevent being left stranded anywhere.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Fine to charge an EV 12V battery in situ, the Nissan Leaf also has 12V battery issues.
Little tip you may not be aware of, the Soul has a switch in the fuse box that allows the whole car to be switched 'completely' off for extended periods.
It's the only EV with this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ohit1, that's what I'm doing. It may only be a problem with short runs, but that's what happens on a small island.

Thanks PicantoABZ, I'll bet not a lot of people know that ;) How did you find out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Little tip you may not be aware of, the Soul has a switch in the fuse box that allows the whole car to be switched 'completely' off for extended periods.
It's the only EV with this.
Is that the big yellow switch in the centre around all the fuses?

·
Banned
666 Posts
Is that the big yellow switch in the centre around all the fuses?
I guess so
I've read people on the EV forum say they use that switch when going on holiday, no loss of drive battery percentage.
Other EVs will lose percentage over a period (although not much).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts