Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Sorento in Nov 2010 and every panel on the car is blemished with marks, most due to bird poo. I clean my car weekly, polish and take care of it as I have the many cars I have owned in the 23 years I have been driving. I have never owned a car with such sub standard paint. Kia dont want to know when I try and claim under the warranty.The paint seems incapable of standing up to the UK climate. This is my third Sorento, the two previous old shape cars I owned were bullet proof but this new one is not. Avoid is my advice and spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a 2010 Bright Silver KX-2 and have had no problems with the paint at all. Although I am having paint flaking off of the front bumper.
My wife had a Vauxhall a couple of years ago and had a paint problem rejected as it was caused by bird pooh. They said it was her responsibility to wash it off as soon as it is deposited on the car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had a new Santa Fe from Kia's sister company Hyundai just over a year ago and you only had to look at the paintwork to damaged it. Not robust enough to be honest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kia pretty much told me to stick the warranty where the sun doesn't shine. Been to the dealer and independent body shop for written report on poor quality of paint, but still nothing from kia. I am so dissapointed it isn't funny. I can't say how much I reccoment you do not buy Kia and as I have said, I have owned three so its something coming from me. The new Sorento is not built as well as the last, despite all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its now mid Nov 2011 and I have paid for my own IAEA expert inspection of the paint on my Kia Sorento, which confirms the paint (or more to the point, the clear coat) is defective. The dealer has now arranged with Kia for their expert to inspect the car, its just a shame it has taken several months, significant cost on my part and the threat of legal action to get this far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surprise surprise, the Kia appointed expert has stated that the quality and thickness of the clear coat is within industry standards and therefore both Kia Dealership and Kia themselves are refusing to do anything to rectify this problem. Clearly, coughing up 28k for my third Kia Sorento is making absolutely no difference to the levels of customer service they are prepared to offer me. Kia suggested I obtain an expert report on the painwork, which I did and then they wheel out their own expert simply to contradict mine. I am now down a further £250 on top of the £28k the car cost me. WhenI drove this car off the forecourt, no one said to me "watch this car 24/7 and wipe any muck off the paint within minutes, as its rubbish quality". They were happy to take my money and now it seems the warranty and "complete peace of mind" they advertise is not as it seems. I now have to get Kia to explain to me how I can get this work completed but not invalidate the warranty that is worthless anyway. Shoot me now..........

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Ceed has had the top paint lifted right off exposing the grey undercoat after just a few days of having bird pooh on it. Ive had cars of varying quality for over 30 years and never had anything like this happen. Kia are not interested at all in even offering part payment towards a respray. I am seriously dissapointed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Sorento is now just over 2 years old and looks more like 5 years old. The paint quality is apalling and sadly, so is the build quality. My first two Sorento's were build like tanks, but this new shape is not so robust.The thing keeps getting stuck in gear, took 5 visits to the dealership to get it fixed. Dash warning lights come on and offperiodically. For almost 30kI feel like I have been robbed. This will be my last Kia and if my posts stop anyone else from making the same mistake then I will have at least have achieved something.What is most upsetting to me, is not all the faults. Its the fact that the dealership have offered me nothing, not even a deal with their local body shop to help fix the paint problems (at my cost). They took the money and ran. Customer service costs nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....my Sorento is now almost 3 years old. Paint is flaking off, it still keeps getting stuck in gear and now the front discs are warped. Its done 25k, school run miles onlyin its life. I really cant express how much I ask anyone reading this post NOT TO BUY A KIA. Spend your money wisely and buy something else. I am not stupid enough to think that other makes are any better, but I am 100% sure that their customer service will be considerably better. I have not been offered any gestures of good will or satisfaction under warranty for any of this. Its appalling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wish I had my Ceed sprayed with an additional protective coating as soon as I bought it - in fact as I keep cars 10 years I am still considering this just so that I have some paintwork left after this time.
Agree with all said above: The paintwork durability is truly appalling and Kia Motors and their dealerships are not interested,

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Kia's have a 5 year paint warranty. If there is a paint problem take it to a Kia dealer. If they say no take it to another. If they say no get Kia involved.

Or it this another case where we are not being told the full story. Kias require an annualpaint inspection, no inspection no warranty. Have you had the cars inspected.

MikeC said:
I wish I had my Ceed sprayed with an additional protective coating as soon as I bought it - in fact as I keep cars 10 years I am still considering this just so that I have some paintwork left after this time.

If you did the above you would instantly end the 5 year paint warranty and probably the 12 year body warranty.

MikeC said:
Agree with all said above: The paintwork durability is truly appalling and Kia Motors and their dealerships are not interested,

Well our SW Ceed is 3 years old and the paint is fine. I have yet to see a Kia with "truly appalling paint" unless its clearly a car that has been abused or neglected. Even old one on our street (oldest is a 02) look fine beyond typical age related body damage.

Edited by: Sport Wagon

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
My Venga is just over a year old, has been washed by me once, Shiny car washers four times and servicing dealer once, never been polished, and the paint is good as new. Colour is Space Blue metallic. What colours are yours? Have heard that the silver based colours on most makes are not long lasting, despite being so popular for the past 10 to 15 years. Are you old enough to remember the Mk 2 Ford Cortinas with silver paint - used to look like they had been cleaned with Brillo pads within a year!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
rizmo said:
Have heard that the silver based colours on most makes are not long lasting, despite being so popular for the past 10 to 15 years. Are you old enough to remember the Mk 2 Ford Cortinas with silver paint - used to look like they had been cleaned with Brillo pads within a year!

Metallics of the 60's had no clear coat thus the dull look after a short time. Things have moved on a lot since.

Myself and the wife have owned 6 Silver cars in the past 14 years and never had an issue. One car we kept almost 6 years and another 5 years.

Just regular washing and polish twice a year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Ceed is metallic black (with grey undercoat). I have taken it to my Kia dealer and also prompted them to contact Kia themselves but with nothing offered. Cost for bonnet respray quoted at £336 (a year ago), of course would be much more now the roof also needs doing...

I also contacted Kia Motors myself directly with the following response:

Dear Mr Cantwell
Thanks for your email about the problems you've experienced with the paint work on your Kia Cee'd.
I'm afraid what the dealership have advised you is correct. The paint warranty does not cover accidental or external causes including, industrial fallout, airborne contamination, stone chipping or bird lime.
I'm sorry I'm not able to help you any further on this occasion, but I hope I've explained the reasons why. Thanks again for taking the time to contact me.

SO - NO PAINT WARRANTY IN THIS CASE AND LIKELY IN MOST CASES....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On top of the paint problems, my 2010 Sorento now keeps getting stuck in gear, warning lights seem to have a mind of their own, brake discs are warped and the seat belt warning alarm cant differentiate between a human being and a hand bag. DO NOT BUY A KIA...........the 7 year warranty is a joke, it covers pretty much nothing, which is why its 7 years long. May as well make it 20 years for what it is worth. Oh, its only done 25,000 miles before you wonder if this is a contributory factor....which it isnt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Word or warning, if your Kia Dealer suggest you need to get a professional report to support your warranty claim, do not do it. You will spend £100's of pounds and then Kia will still tell you that their expert disputes your expert. Walk away, cut your losses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bird poo takes any car paint off best thing is as soon as its on your car wash it off simple as but I use on all my cars show room shine from greaselighting best thing every try it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.