Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<DIV =msg>Hi everybody ordered a new rio 1.25 '2'last saturday after a quite long test drive .
Nice car to drive really quiet ,smooth no speed machine but good enough for me and the wife

Got a great deal at Triangle Chesterfield cant wait to pick it up date given as 28 sept will keep

you posted as to how it performs over the next few months

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's good news judging by the ride sounds like the tyre pressures were correct!,look forward to you posting the mpg figures,car will be down on power and mpg till after a few thousand miles.
How did you find the position of the gear lever on my test drive i thought the gear lever was a touch too far back? (could have had the seat too far forward tho')
What colour will it be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Armac08 no probs with the gear lever it was really easy for me and the wife to get the seat and
steering wheel position just right.

We have gone for Bright Silver, i liked the electric blue but because we have had 4 blue cars previuosely the wife said no way.And to be fair it will be her car ,il just be the guest driver .
Will keep you informed on mpg ,will brim it when we first fill it up run it 300 miles brim it again

then work out mpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all picked new rio 1.25 -2 up today really pleased with it , looks nice in silver going on hols in it tommorow will post how it performed when we get back

·
Registered
234 Posts
Enjoy your trip & Rio,ordered mine too last week a 1.25 2 in electric blue got the rear sensors fitted as i did'nt want to prang my new pride & joy parking it,will post 1st impressions asap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Picked up the Rio today well chuffed great drive wind noise is almost absent even on this windy day,road noise low too,engine is still tight 24 miles but feels quite willing and easily keeps up with traffic without too many revs,seats comfy good positive gearshift brakes are strong,a nice feature if the hanbrake is left on you get a warning bleep,bit miffed it hasn't got a flashing alarm light on the dash like my Mazda had but otherwise really happy especially with the ride quality.
Must mention the excellent customer service received from Chapelhouse Kia Warrington,the salesman even came in on his only day off to handover the car,
Also got free mats and quarter tank of petrol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one,I would agree with all you have said we got half a tank of petrol, free mats, 3 years free servicing. Went from sheffield down to Weymouth 350 mls, filled car to brim, then filled on arrival, calculated avarage fuel used at 50 mpg, trip comp said 52 so not that far out. I would expect a little more when the engine frees up, just one thing that is a bit annoying the air con comes on as soon as the dial is set to screen or screen/feet setting with the fan on. Easy to turn off but seems strange to have to do so. But overall very pleased with the car, customer service from Triangle Kia of Chesterfield was also excellent.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,209 Posts
Hi willy m, glad you like your new Kia. As regards the a/c
"On the 01-05 RIO the instruction manual instructs that to override this feature'1) Turn the fan speed the "0" position.
2) Turn the mode selection knob to the defrost position.
3) Push the recirculated air position button at least 5 times within 3 seconds
Then the indicator light in the recirculated air position button will blink 3 times with 0.5 second of an interval. Follow the same proceedure to restore.'

I have done this on my Rio to stop the a/c coming on automatically although I have to say it demists a lot faster with the a/c on!"

Seems to work on most models.
Phil

·
Registered
234 Posts
Willy m that's great i paid £249 for my 3 years service,still got a good deal on the Mazda tho',
Yep that A/C coming on is a pain,did you notice the LED in the roof lining it lights the gearstick up at night,still only done about 90 miles so cannot comment on mpg computer says about 34-35 driving around town,did you notice if the engine felt any less tight as the miles built up,i seem to think it's a little slow moving off but fine through the other gears otherwise me & the missus love the Rio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Phil thats a really good tip, will do that after my tea. How are getting on with the BlueTooth, when we got the car the salesman said it had voice activation mode ,well i cant find any metion in my handbook,and looks like you have to reconnect to car each time you swich your phone off,whereas my Toyota Aygo does this automaticly. Im not very techno minded so any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Phil

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not sure about voice activation but on page 4 155 it appears that you have to set the bluetooth to remain switched on in the car,i think i saw this when going through the bluetooth settings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Armac08, we have done approx. 700 miles and can't really say the engine feels any looser. It may take a few thousand miles for us to notice. Can't really say ours is slow moving off, as I have been using Shell V-power petrol, which makes the engine more flexible. I use it in my Aygo and it makes a tremedous difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Armac08 said:
That's good news judging by the ride sounds like the tyre pressures were correct!,look forward to you posting the mpg figures,car will be down on power and mpg till after a few thousand miles.
How did you find the position of the gear lever on my test drive i thought the gear lever was a touch too far back? (could have had the seat too far forward tho')
What colour will it be?

Hi, Is that a normal thing (I've never owned a new car)? So the mpg will be down for a while?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Although modern engines are run in slightly on a dynamometer at the factory most people agree you will not get a good milage until the car has covered a few thousand miles,my Rio is already feeling a bit better after 400 miles now and averaging 41 mpg mainly town driving.

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, I wouldn't have known that! With my mileage, it won't take me long to break a new one in (about 400/500 miles a week) - but I've got to choose which one to go for first! Also interesting to read effect of spare wheel on mpg. Something else I didn't consider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi just wondered if any one saw fith gear tonight, they road tested the 1.1 disel rio, and the results for fuel consumption were really shocking, the lowest was 17 yes 17 mpg the highest was 45. Thats a long way off 88 mpg as quoted by KIA , i know the testers like to cane car they drive but even so, you would think that the 1.1 would do at least 50 plus. and this makes me think all KIAs figures might be on the optimistic side views anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Didn't see it but am about to place an order for one of these. It does depend on a) how you drive the car and b) how old the car is. I've been told by LOTS of people (not just kia people) that the car needs to be driven in a bit to get the mpg out of it. I am looking to get 60 ish out of my new one if I can. Oh, and longer journeys (like I do) will also help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah just watched it and inevitably they are hurtling around a racetrack and the car has barely done 600 miles. Kind of inevitable it won't do full mpg yet so I won't take much notice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi beany1983 yes i agree with all you say,we have a 1.25 petrol 2 rio with just over 1000 mls on the clock and our fuel figures are quite close to KIAs official figures but both my wife a i are really steady drivers,so i think lots of drivers who want to drive at a more spirited pace may be alittle dissapointed with fuel consumption. Hope you have a road test before making your mind up,heres hopeing it works out ok for you

1 - 20 of 28 Posts