Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am hoping to soon be the proud owner of a new Rio 3 1.4 CRDi in metallic silver

We are trading in our white Focus 1.6 (115) Zetec-S as it is a bit heavy on fuel, even though we are technically downgrading in size with a 9 month old baby and a 9 year old.

What amazes me is that the kids have even more rear leg room in the rear, and the package from Kia (warranty, running costs etc) speak for themselves.. The boot may be smaller than the Focus, but to be honest we are just thinking in getting a trailer and using that space as and when we need it, rather than driving around a big family car.

I know the 3 varient is not quite out yet, but just wandered if anybody has driven the 1.4 CRDi and how it performs, maybe someone has driven it against a similar engine that I currently have...

Test driving the 1.4 CRDi next week, although in a Venga (as the dealership doesnt have a diesel Rio in)

Andy
Edited by: andy30

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have a look in the VENGA forum mate, lots of trouble with diesel knock/pinking & throttle lag with the 1.4crdi unit which KIA have yet to resolve, my own included
Test drive it first in warm weather when the problem seems to be most prevalent. I know it might be a little difficult with the current weather but its the only thing spoiling another wise nice car at the minute.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the advice John..

Now test driving the car tomorrow. Worrying what I've seen on the Venga forum re the diesel engine, have they found a fix for the software now then? I'd hope that in the new Rio they wouldnt sell the car with the problem remaining, although it's the same engine no doubt.

I think it will end up being a toss up between having the Rio 3 1.4 CRDi, or the 1.6 CRDi Cee'd as my local dealership are selling off Cee'ds at 0% VAT, as they are not being manufactured anymore..

Choices choices...

Looks wise, and kit wise, the Rio will win it for me, the Cee'd looks a bit pants. Just dont want to have a problematic engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kia (not just one dealer) is offering most Cee'd models at "0% vat" until the end of December.
Did I miss the announcement of the demise of the Cee'd or is this a repeat of the rumour circulating on some US web sites?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I didn't think the ceed was available in the US in the first place? If it's the end of the ceed it must also be the end of the pro--ceed as I got 0%vat on mine. Seriously doubt it though as the pro-eed hasn't been out that long really. Would have sooner put my money on an ex-ceed mind you.Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be fair I don't have a clue whether they are stopping making the ceed, its just what the bloke at the dealership told me. The 0% vat will be a tempter I must admit though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
True, most salesmen would tell you they will throw in a flux capacitor, If it got a sale. And your right, the extra 7% discount over the previous deal I had been offered got me to commit. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
65 Posts
that is correct first quarter of 2012 the new ceed is being released so kia say...

in regards the 1.4 diesel in the rio as far as im aware its a completely new gamma engine design so nothing like the crdi in the venga

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think the gamma engines are the petrol ones are they not ?The 1.25 is a Kappa engine and all diesel ones are just called CRDI units.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Dont think so.

There are also two petrol engines in the new Rio. The entry-level unit
is the 1.25-litre Kappa engine which recently made its debut in Kia's
smallest car, the new Picanto. This engine develops 83bhp and 121Nm of
torque. The new Rio is also available with Kia's 1.4-litre Gamma engine,
developing 107bhp and 137Nm of torque. It also offers buyers the
convenience of an automatic gearbox as an option to the standard manual.

The 1.1L U Diesel engine is a 3 cylinder version of the 1.5L U series
unit and is made with cast iron block and aluminum cylinder head with
chain driven DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, Bosch common rail direct
injection (CRDi), variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) and intake air
swirl control. Bore and Stroke are 75mm x 84.5mm. It creates an
impressive 74 HP (55Kw) and 113 ft-lb (153 NM) of torque. It is one of
Hyundai's most efficient engines using only 4.2L/100km (56 MPG), and
emits a minuscule 112 g/km of CO2. The engine also incorporates a 1½
engine order balance shaft mounted under the crankshaft driven by
helical gears to manage engine vibration. It is currently fitted to the
Kia Picanto and Hyundai i10 models. Also new Rio.

EcoDynamics technologies will be a standard feature with all new Rio
diesels, including the 1.4-litre models scheduled to be added to the
line-up shortly after launch. The 1.4-litre diesel is a four-cylinder
engine from the same U2 family as the 1.1. It develops 89bhp and 220Nm
of torque. Economy and emissions figures are 70.6mpg combined and just
105 g/km of CO<sub>2 </sub>.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ordered a Rio 3 in White today, looks the business with the privacy glass and led lights, cant wait until I can have It now, went for the 1.4 crdi in the end.

Test drove the 1.4 petrol auto the other day, brakes are amazing with all round discs, auto is very very smooth and the car honestly seems loads faster than my 1.6 zetec-s focus. Very impressed with the interior space for a supposidly small car. The knock across to manual is smooth and works well for overtaking.

Looking forward to getting mine now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts