Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I recently had the windshield replaced due to a crack, with an OEM one. This windshield appeared to have slight vertical "waves" distortion patters. It was visible but not to much. I asked for a new replacement. The new windshield is the same as the original one, however without the branding (same brand - saint gobain sekurit, and same factory, dot numbers etc). The new one has also this wavy pattern, however not so prominent. I wonder if this pattern was also on the original windshield and can be considered normal.

On a technical level, this pattern appears to be as vertical waves, more prominent on the passenger side and not on the edge. On the new windshield, the pattern is very slight (you have to carefully search for it) and can be seen when you focus on an object and move your head right or left slowly. I also wear prescription glasses.
I also noticed that a vertical distortion is present on the far right edge of the windshield, but I think this can be considered normal.

Any ideas? Have you ever noticed such a thing?

Super Moderator
Do you wear glasses or sunglasses?

Saint Gobain is probably the largest glass manufacture in the world.

Registered
Its a "moire pattern" (google it) and is likely due to your glasses/lenses. Its more common with varifocal glasses.

Can you see it without them? If so then what's the DOT number?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Its a "moire pattern" (google it) and is likely due to your glasses/lenses. Its more common with varifocal glasses.

Can you see it without them? If so then what's the DOT number?
I can't see without my glasses, I have myopia and astigmatism. I tried to measure the "wavelength" of such distortions, it is larger than these I suspect I would see in case of a moire pattern. I will try without the glasses though.
The DOT number is 618 and the other numbers 43R-00343.

I found a video online which shows the problem. I have to note there that in my case is not nearly as severe as in the video

Updated: I checked the windshield without wearing my glasses. The pattern is still there. In front of me is not so much but when I look towards the passenger side it becomes obvious.
Furthermore, the phenomenon is way more prominent when I knee on the road and see towards the passenger area as well as when the windshield is directly heated by the sun.

Any ideas or I become insane?

Registered
If that's what you're seeing then its not moire patterns.

That's a manufacturing defect which apparently is very common these days. Either the glass wasn't cooled evenly or there's something wrong with the bonding.

Whether its bad enough to justify replacement is impossible for us to say. Edit - for example if you'd only been able to see it from outside then its probably not a replacement job.

On the subject of Saint Gobain glass - I had two (expensive) double glazing panels shatter when half the panel was in sun & half wasn't. Got replaced FoC from our builder who said it was a batch problem from some factory in China (too much metal vapour sprayed in one place on the glass).

Name means nothing these days - "Pilkington" and "Saint Gobain" glass for some stuff is made in the same far-eastern factory.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove the car immediately after replacement. Could it be the reason for the ripples?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's what you're seeing then its not moire patterns.

That's a manufacturing defect which apparently is very common these days. Either the glass wasn't cooled evenly or there's something wrong with the bonding.

Whether its bad enough to justify replacement is impossible for us to say. Edit - for example if you'd only been able to see it from outside then its probably not a replacement job.

On the subject of Saint Gobain glass - I had two (expensive) double glazing panels shatter when half the panel was in sun & half wasn't. Got replaced FoC from our builder who said it was a batch problem from some factory in China (too much metal vapour sprayed in one place on the glass).

Name means nothing these days - "Pilkington" and "Saint Gobain" glass for some stuff is made in the same far-eastern factory.
I have to mention that the DOT number of the replacement SG glass belongs to a polish factory, not far eastern. However, the quality is lower than the genuine one.
Do I have a change to get a good optical quality replacement glass or I'm cursed to use subpar glasses?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you get it replace through Kia?
No, I used AutoGlass. The replacement is the same brand as the OEM one.
Unfortunately, it was needed about 20+ days just to order the OEM one, plus the increased cost.

I can't think that the replacement windshields do have optical defects. But from what I've read, that's the norm nowadays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts