Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally collected the Orange Stinger today and very pleased with it
There are a few oddities that maybe someone could shed some light on?
Stop/Start didn't shut down the engine once over a 180 mile trip home. I ran it in every mode and mostly ECO (I tend to run cars in still) but it never happened. The coasting function took a while to kick in but it does work.
The USB media file reading of my flash stick seems to be not working fully. The first few attempts seemed to fail to bring up most of the content when searching music foldetrs/artists but after about 5 or 6 attempts at re-inserting it I finally got it to display nearly everything although a few folders are still not showing. It was also annoyingly skipping through songs after a few seconds of each for any given album selected but after about an hour of phaffing about that seemed to settle down
So has anyone else has similar issues? It's the same drive as used in 3 previous cars without problems but maybe the Kia requires a unique 'format' type or can't handle drives of 64gb? I might try re-writing everything with a slightly simplified folder arrangement but would welcome suggestions first
Should the handbook etc have come in a leatherette wallet? Mine were just in a plastic bag which is disappointing. I can easily enough get a cheapie off ebay but was wondering whether I should hassle the dealer for it.
Other than these minor issues I think the car is astounding value. Dynamically a match (or betters) equivalent German cars and Jags and for my money has a nicer blend of ride and handling in the chassis. Erring on comfort which is my preference. Nearest to a Jag's ride I would say. Engine and gearbox are real gems. The torque from so low down is seriously impressive. Looking forward to opening her up more in a 1000 miles or so. I know it's not considered necessary these days but I can't help myself. I have to bed a car's engine, drive-train and brakes in I'm afraid

·
Registered
21 Posts
congrats on the new car!!

i don't think auto start stop works for anyone. I got the dealer to charge my battery overnight. start stop worked perfectly....for a week....hasnt worked since!

handbook should come in leather pouch

·
Registered
584 Posts
Steve, congrats on the pick up, and pics when you have time!

Re the SD card, can’t help I’m afraid as I stream tunes. Spotify usually.

My stop/start works normally and pretty much every day. I do c. 12k miles a year and drive the car nearly every day.

Yep, leather(ette) pouch for my manual.

Cheers, Dunc

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
Have a search for ISG or Stop/Start on this forum using the search facility on the header (don't limit it to Stinger). You will find out that ISG is temperamental at best.
With USB music, the Kia system is limited to a maximum 7000 track, anything above that won't be read. I've found the best method is to save the files onto the disk as follows: Music\Artist\Album\Track. I have a 128GB USB stick and I've used MP3 and FLAC files with no problems. My preferred method for music is a iPod Classic, which works well, although I've started to experiment with my Samsung Galaxy with a 128GB SD card, which I have MP3 files at the highest quality, played through YouTube Music and Android Auto. So far it has worked a treat.
I can't answer for the Stinger, but our Sportage came with a (plastic) leather folder for the handbooks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The start stop will only work if you are doing long journeys and using it literally every day to keep it topped up. If it has stood for any more than 3 days it won't work. This isn't just a Stinger thing, my Ceed before was the exact same. I could drive 300 miles in a day and it somehow still not be charged enough to engage. I do high mileage but in long runs rather than daily drives so I can do 200 miles on a Wednesday, use the car also on Thursday and Friday with start stop work g but if I leave it sitting until Monday I can guarantee it won't engage again. The Kia start stop is just rubbish. I wouldn't worry about it. It's only a BS loophole for manufacturers to fudge their C02 claims down anyway.

Eco coasting will only work under the following conditions from what I have noticed. Minimum speed is 35mph, engine and oil have to be warm, cruise control engaged will stop it, speed limiter selected (even if not actively using) stops it working and if you are on a hill with too much of an decline it will stop to ensure you don't end up gaining way to much speed by coasting downhill in neutral. I use cruise control absolutely everywhere so it hardly gets any use from me but when it does engage I can kinda see the benefit. In the real world it's hard to use effectively though I find. The amount of times I have let off 0.4 miles back from a roundabout at 70 knowing full well it will coast up to it and still be doing around 50 by the time I'm there but you will have somebody all over the back of you because you're not going 70 until the last 100m and then braking :mad: But then the fun comes as you whack it in sport and smash the accelerator and leave them for dust with a stunned look on their face that a Kia has take off like a rocket :LOL:

My service book etc all came in a leather wallet.

USB playback I have never used. 90% of the time I stream over bluetooth or use Android Auto. I still use my SD card modded iPod classic occasionally but I connect that through aux. After years and years of bluetooth streaming connecting an iPod through aux is night a day in sound quality. Everything is so crisp and perfect and with the amazing sound system in the Stinger it's brilliant. Although I imagine a USB probably gets the same perfect sound quality effect which is probably why you use it?

Enjoy your car! It truly is fantastic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your comments.
Stop/Start - I will be putting it on a trickle charger soon as I do with any of my cars while not used every day. It was an ex-demo, 4 months old with under 400 miles on it so will no doubt be pretty discharged to the extent that a long drive wouldn't be sufficient to top up. I'm being nuts because normally I hate these systems and turn off. But some weird part of me needs to know it works properly. Go figure. Once it starts working I will be switching it off each day/ Nuts I know. Just to be clear, if the amber light is on, does that mean the Stop/Start system is engaged?

Wallet - I am chasing the dealer. I suspect it was mislaid and I could get a 2nd hand one off ebay cheap enough but they should supply it so that's the avenue I will pursue. They have been very good so far. I got them to include a new spare wheel kit as part of the deal (not standard) and was half expecting it to be supplied without the tyre because it is listed as such on the Kia accessory site but, no, good for them, it as all complete and even able to keep the standard puncture repair kit too.

Music - my collection is around 60gb so probably within the limitations of the system. I could certainly simplify the folder set-up and maybe experiment with different formatting on the flash stick. It was very nearly 100% by the time I finished messing with it but the most recent 3 albums were missing. I will check that I had actually updated that stick with the most recent ripped CDs just in case. Every time a buy a new CD (yes I prefer to have the CD rather than download) I go through a somewhat tiresome process of updating lots of devices. Sonos home NAS, newer ipod for gym, 2 old ipods for another car and a spare, 2 flash drives & phone. So maybe I forgot that one. But it was certainly behaving very oddly for the first half hour or so.
I'd ideally prefer a flash drive to having to use a plug in phone or ipod that has to be switched on/off every time I get in the car and looks messy with a cable linking it. I use a Road Angel Pure which needs a power lead so a 2nd will be a bit much. reading the handbook late last night I saw reference to an SD card slot so that's another option I can try (if UK cars indeed have one)

Coasting - actually seemed to work fine after a while. Again, probably a discharged battery and warm-up issue initially. I'm used to how it works as I had a BMW with it a couple of years ago. Another sad side of my character - playing with the coasting on downhill stretches, etc, to get my mpg up. I know, very sad. I do realise I have my own quirks. But I did average around 38 mpg driving home yesterday which is nice to know it can be done. Although once I am happier to open it up more I won't see that figure again I'm sure

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One other thing I noticed when playing yesterday was that the music quality for the bluetooth streamed content off my phone was not as good as the USB played identical files. Maybe the system relies on the phone's built-in DAC as opposed to the DAC in the car? The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10 so pretty up to date but phones never have as good a DAC as a dedicated system as a rule

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
One other thing I noticed when playing yesterday was that the music quality for the bluetooth streamed content off my phone was not as good as the USB played identical files. Maybe the system relies on the phone's built-in DAC as opposed to the DAC in the car? The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10 so pretty up to date but phones never have as good a DAC as a dedicated system as a rule
Bluetooth does not have the bandwith in comparison to, for example wi-fi and neither can beat a direct connection, either wired or through a USB. Also remember Bluetooth is trying to handle your phone/contacts/messages at the same time. Your music will always lose a bit of quality on Bluetooth. One thing you will also notice with Bluetooth, your album art isn't visible, whereas it is on a USB connection, assuming your album art is present.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Looking forward to opening her up more in a 1000 miles or so. I know it's not considered necessary these days but I can't help myself. I have to bed a car's engine, drive-train and brakes in I'm afraid
Babying a new car is the worst thing you can do. Just drive the thing normally from day one but avoid full throttle for the first 500 miles and never labour the engine. Drive the thing too carefully and its possible for the rings/bores to glaze and once they do the only cure is a strip and rebuild. Its not a warranty job but if it does happen you will never get good power or good economy.

Last new car I had with specific running in instructions was a Triumph in 1978, since then its been as I wrote above and never had an issue. 3 of those car went on for a very long life with no issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Babying a new car is the worst thing you can do. Just drive the thing normally from day one but avoid full throttle for the first 500 miles and never labour the engine. Drive the thing too carefully and its possible for the rings/bores to glaze and once they do the only cure is a strip and rebuild. Its not a warranty job but if it does happen you will never get good power or good economy.

Last new car I had with specific running in instructions was a Triumph in 1978, since then its been as I wrote above and never had an issue. 3 of those car went on for a very long life with no issues.
Interesting. Yes I have read numerous conflicting reports on whether to or not to run in and suspect your idea is the best middle ground. It's other parts as well like brake discs that I understand should be bedded in fairly gently so that they go through moderate heat cycles for a few hundred miles before being submitted to seriously hard braking from very high speeds.
Anyway, yes I probably won't be babying it, just not stressing it initially

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks all for your comments.
Stop/Start - I will be putting it on a trickle charger soon as I do with any of my cars while not used every day. It was an ex-demo, 4 months old with under 400 miles on it so will no doubt be pretty discharged to the extent that a long drive wouldn't be sufficient to top up. I'm being nuts because normally I hate these systems and turn off. But some weird part of me needs to know it works properly. Go figure. Once it starts working I will be switching it off each day/ Nuts I know. Just to be clear, if the amber light is on, does that mean the Stop/Start system is engaged?

Wallet - I am chasing the dealer. I suspect it was mislaid and I could get a 2nd hand one off ebay cheap enough but they should supply it so that's the avenue I will pursue. They have been very good so far. I got them to include a new spare wheel kit as part of the deal (not standard) and was half expecting it to be supplied without the tyre because it is listed as such on the Kia accessory site but, no, good for them, it as all complete and even able to keep the standard puncture repair kit too.

Music - my collection is around 60gb so probably within the limitations of the system. I could certainly simplify the folder set-up and maybe experiment with different formatting on the flash stick. It was very nearly 100% by the time I finished messing with it but the most recent 3 albums were missing. I will check that I had actually updated that stick with the most recent ripped CDs just in case. Every time a buy a new CD (yes I prefer to have the CD rather than download) I go through a somewhat tiresome process of updating lots of devices. Sonos home NAS, newer ipod for gym, 2 old ipods for another car and a spare, 2 flash drives & phone. So maybe I forgot that one. But it was certainly behaving very oddly for the first half hour or so.
I'd ideally prefer a flash drive to having to use a plug in phone or ipod that has to be switched on/off every time I get in the car and looks messy with a cable linking it. I use a Road Angel Pure which needs a power lead so a 2nd will be a bit much. reading the handbook late last night I saw reference to an SD card slot so that's another option I can try (if UK cars indeed have one)

Coasting - actually seemed to work fine after a while. Again, probably a discharged battery and warm-up issue initially. I'm used to how it works as I had a BMW with it a couple of years ago. Another sad side of my character - playing with the coasting on downhill stretches, etc, to get my mpg up. I know, very sad. I do realise I have my own quirks. But I did average around 38 mpg driving home yesterday which is nice to know it can be done. Although once I am happier to open it up more I won't see that figure again I'm sure
An amber light means that while the start stop system is turned on you haven't met the parameters for it to shut off the engine. Could be state of charge, AC load, engine temp etc. It turns green when it turns the engine off.

I still buy CD's too but funnily enough never use them! I buy one, rip it, stick it on the cloud and my NAS, iPod classic and then most of the time stream it on Spotfiy haha go figure!

Bluetooth quality is never as good as a direct connection but this is true of any car or device.

The SD card slot contains the data for the map on the Sat Nav. Never taken it out to know what happens or if you can play music through it if you put your own in but I think it's only used for updating the sat nav data.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An amber light means that while the start stop system is turned on you haven't met the parameters for it to shut off the engine. Could be state of charge, AC load, engine temp etc. It turns green when it turns the engine off.

I still buy CD's too but funnily enough never use them! I buy one, rip it, stick it on the cloud and my NAS, iPod classic and then most of the time stream it on Spotfiy haha go figure!

Bluetooth quality is never as good as a direct connection but this is true of any car or device.

The SD card slot contains the data for the map on the Sat Nav. Never taken it out to know what happens or if you can play music through it if you put your own in but I think it's only used for updating the sat nav data.
Ah ok, thanks. It never went green at all and the small light in the instrument cluster would come on at the appropriate times but the engine kept running.I suspect a low level of charge in the battery. I've connected up a trickle charger and see how that goes but it will have its first service in March so I can ask the garage to give it a deep charge if necessary

·
Registered
771 Posts
My Stop Start never works.

With the music bit, do you have a phone with large storage? If so, you could try putting the music on there, and accessing the music via phone mirroring?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

With the music bit, do you have a phone with large storage? If so, you could try putting the music on there, and accessing the music via phone mirroring?
Hmm, not a great fan of having to plug in and unplug my phone every time I get in and out of the car tbh. I think the only think Android Auto might be worthwhile for is occasional Waze use so the downsides of connecting up for occasional use seem pointless. If I really want to use Waze in addition to the car's perfectly acceptable Nav (especially when using the wifi facility for traffic) I can always just use it on my phone at the same time. it has a big enough screen. I'm buying a second hand mobile hotspot device that I'll stick the SIM in I used in my previous car to give me a permanent Hotspot without needing to turn it on on my phone each time. For me, if it isn't ultra convenient I will end up not using something

·
Registered
963 Posts
Its winter, they rarely do.

Stop/Start on the wifes Skoda has not worked since October, Saturday just gone it worked at the junction a few hundred yards form home, took me by surprise.

Don't expect it to work next time we use the car, probably be fine come May.

·
Registered
2019 Stinger GTS Panthera Metal
46 Posts
I've funded an AA wireless kit from IndieGogo which I'm hoping will be shipped in February. Its a small box which stays permanently connected to the USB socket in the Stinger allowing me to keep my phone in my pocket or put it on the wireless charging pad and auto connect to Android Auto in less than a minute.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've funded an AA wireless kit from IndieGogo which I'm hoping will be shipped in February. Its a small box which stays permanently connected to the USB socket in the Stinger allowing me to keep my phone in my pocket or put it on the wireless charging pad and auto connect to Android Auto in less than a minute.
Will take a look into that although it will still mean sacrificing the one and only data USB socket on the car for this AA purpose and I wouldn't be able to keep using the Flash drive for my music. I had though about whether a USB 2 into 1 splitter exists or will even work. I can't believe that it would enable AA and the Flash drive to work simultaneously. I will have a play with AA to see what I think anyway

·
Registered
92 Posts
Will take a look into that although it will still mean sacrificing the one and only data USB socket on the car for this AA purpose and I wouldn't be able to keep using the Flash drive for my music. I had though about whether a USB 2 into 1 splitter exists or will even work. I can't believe that it would enable AA and the Flash drive to work simultaneously. I will have a play with AA to see what I think anyway

There is such a thing but my only concern would be whether the car will still only recognise the one connection regardless of two being input. For £6.90 it is probably worth a shot though.

·
Registered
15 Posts

There is such a thing but my only concern would be whether the car will still only recognise the one connection regardless of two being input. For £6.90 it is probably worth a shot though.
Hi I’ve got a wireless CarPlay from Amazon there around £90 but great just get in the car and it connects automatically to the car in about 10 to 15 seconds so don’t have to mess around plugging my phone in .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts