Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife recently purchased a New Picanto 3 1.25. We are still getting used to it but on the whole we are really pleased with the way it performs.
The one area that we are not 100% happy with is the electric steering. Its great at very low speeds, very light and easy to manoeuvre. Its still good at around 30 when driving around our village. At motorway speeds, though, it gets much stiffer and feels almost sticky. When straightening up at speed you almost have to help the steering back into the straight ahead position.
I have read the manual and know that the system is supposed to stiffen at speed so I don't believe there is a problem with the car. It just doesn't feel as nice to drive as other car we have had. What are your opinions of the steering on the new Picanto?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the new Rio and find it too is slightly sticky midpoint on the motorway perhaps not as bad as the picanto though from what i've read,
Do you have an ESC switch try switching it off and see if it helps,
Also check tyre pressures are correct.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I checked the typre pressures at the weekend and they are fine. I might try switching ESC off to see how it compares but I suspect it is just a characteristic of the car.

Its not a big concern and the car is great for what it was purchased for (around town).

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,147 Posts
I recall reading a review of the Rio a few months ago where it was criticised for having a weak 'castor' action on the steering. The reviewer found that unless he centered the steering wheel himself the car would continue to steer in a circle.
Every car I have ever driven centered itselfso to have to do it manually must seem very strange. I guess you just get used to it.

Phil

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a proceed and I'm finding I have to hold the streering straight at the min. I'm adamant it's the tracking. Only time will tell, going back to the dealers on saturday

·
Registered
225 Posts
phil866 said:
I recall reading a review of the Rio a few months ago where it was criticised for having a weak 'castor' action on the steering. The reviewer found that unless he centered the steering wheel himself the car would continue to steer in a circle.
Every car I have ever driven centered itselfso to have to do it manually must seem very strange. I guess you just get used to it.

Phil
Yes, I remember reading a similar review. The car being used must have either been faulty or in need of adjustment as my production Rio3"self-centres" perfectly normally.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Maybe worth asking the Kia dealer if the force of steering is adjustable through there diagnostic software.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've had my Picanto 1.0 1 Air for 2 months now, and I also notice the steering is not great on long straight roads at 60 or 70 mph. The car doesn't track stable and straight, but needs constant very small adjustments left and right to keep it in a straight line. I wonder if it's a design problem, like the steering linkages or geometry, or power steering? I'm going to ask Kia to check it all, including the tracking.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's most certainly a design problem. Keep trying to tell people how bad my proceed is but it's "within peramiters" so the dealer tells me. The whole it's the camber of the road excuse doesn't wash as even on glass smooth car parks the problem remains. Check out
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/just-bought-a-pro-ceed-a-few-issues_topic5624.html
For more info. But my advise is to have you're tire pressures checked first. DON'T let a technician take it out, you take him for a drive and SHOW them the problem. That way there's less chance of them fobbing you off but they there is little chance they can do about it. Fingers crossed its o Bly your alighnment slightly out though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
@RichieD76, interesting. I think you're right about it being a design issue. Auto Express magazine rated the new Picanto highly, but said the steering wasn't as sharp as the competition.
I think what I'm feeling is the car follows/tracks small changes in road camber, which means I have to constantly adjust the steering. I tried today on the motorway not adjusting, and I started moving towards the next lane... not good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

<!-->

I posted this on another thread, but will repeat it here.

The steering is electric assisted. At low speeds, the electric assist works
very nicely.

As speed builds up, the electric assist is weakened and then
turned off. I was told around 80km per
hour steering assist is turned off.

I did not like the steering of my car on highway use. Found that small movements were "heavy" and delayed in
response. Not great when buffered by
wind.

My Kia Picanto suffered a problem that needed to be seen
too. While that was being repaired, I
asked about the steering. Apparently
there are 3 ""steering plans""� available.
I was told my unit had the stiffest one. It
was easy to change via the on board diagnostics connector. They altered my setting to the middle
setting. It is much better now and have no longer issues regarding steering

Brian

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks, Brian. Yes, I did know about speed-sensitive assistance on the power steering, but didn't know about the three 'plans' or settings. I'll ask the dealer to change it when it goes in. Apart from this, the car is great

·
Registered
15 Posts
ujoni08 said:
Thanks, Brian. Yes, I did know about speed-sensitive assistance on the power steering, but didn't know about the three 'plans' or settings. I'll ask the dealer to change it when it goes in. Apart from this, the car is great
I went to my dealer today to see if my EPS could be adjusted and it can't. I was with the mechanic and I watched as he plugged the computer in and went to the EPS section. There was no facility to change the level of assistance. He also checked all the other sections just to see if anything was hidden in there, but to no avail.
I notice that Mr Newby is from South Africa so maybe it only applies to that market. Shame though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting indeed.

Last week I had a part replaced. They reset the car computer system as well. Seems I am back to the old steering plan. Will probably go back and see if they can adjust it back to middle plan.

If I do get there, will ask some questions to post here.

Just to make sure, we are talking about the new 2011 shape Picanto here .. not the older one?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, the latest Picanto. Mine's going in on Friday for a few rattles to be checked/tightened, plus I'll ask about the steering 'plans'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

<!-->

Rattle?

My has a vibration at 2000 rpm. It goes away after 5
minutes. Was told it is a characteristic of the car.
Seems to be coming from the exhaust or catalytic converter .

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
ujoni08 said:
I've had my Picanto 1.0 1 Air for 2 months now, and I also notice the steering is not great on long straight roads at 60 or 70 mph. The car doesn't track stable and straight, but needs constant very small adjustments left and right to keep it in a straight line. I wonder if it's a design problem, like the steering linkages or geometry, or power steering? I'm going to ask Kia to check it all, including the tracking.
I borrowed a new Picanto when my Mk2 Rio was in for a service and I found the steering exactly as described above. OK around town, but on the motorway it wanted to drift off all over the place and needed constant adjustment to go in a straight line. Then therewas the time lag between turning the wheel and anything happening, which amplified the whole effect.

I was so glad to get out of the car and get back into my Rio. I wouldn't recommend the new Picanto to anyone, it's been ruined.

·
Registered
324 Posts
@M4 trundler yes, it's a pity. I'm hoping a software update will cure it, but it may be a hardware/design fault.
@mrDIY, I have a buzzing sound in the left door/doorcard, specially when the tarmac is rough. There's also a creak/tap inside/under the dashboard, on the left. Laslty, there's a clunk at the rear on the left. All minor, but annoying. Took it in on Friday, and they checked everything for tightness... found nothing. They've asked me to leave it with them for 2-3 days, so they can check it over properly. They're supplying a courtesy car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<!--><!--if !mso>< id=":38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

<!-->

Just returned from my Kia
Service Center

After changing the ""fuel control module""�, the system was
reset ""¦ which lost my steering adjustment.

I watched as the mechanic plugged in the diagnostic tool
which was connected to a laptop. Apparently, it is one of the later diagnostic tools. If your service facility cannot find setting, they probably do not have latest software/firmware updates or whatever for their tools

There are 3 different
steering settings available""¦ (as in South Africa)

1. General2. Europe

3. Domestic

The car was shipped in general mode.

Last time, they changed it to domestic.

This time we thought to try Europe
setting. (just to see) It is difficult to pick out the difference between Europe
and domestic. The changes seem very subtle. Almost as if the steering assist is weakened
around 50- 80km and then applied at higher speed again. The Domestic seemed to be more of linear
assist. Regardless, steering is much improved.<!--if gte mso 9>