Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just taken delivery of a new base model picanto, the stock sound system has 4 speakers and sounds horrible, if i wanted to keep everything pretty much stock ie no head unit change or bass boxes would there be any benefit in changing the four 4" speakers with better 4" ones ? obviously wouldn't be expecting a dramatic improvement just wondered if doing this alone would improve the sound quality at all and if so can anyone recommend any particular speakers that aren't too expensive ?
really looking for a bit of extra bass and while i realise that no 4" speaker is ever going to produce much bass if at all any i just wondered if some are a bit better than others, appreciate any replies being in simpleton terms for me as i don't know much about ice

cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have with mine put a head unit in the glove box and made a speaker shelf (with 2 good speakers) for the rear, leaving the original alone. someone said that the speaker are behind door card, ie making it more difficult to change the speakers, if i had a stock car, i think i would get the head unit changed and the speakers at a shop.

I found that the stock unit was useless at 60mph or above, cant hear it, never mind the quality

good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would argue in theory yes, but a lot of trouble, also my experiance of the standard head unit is that it has little power and is not the best, so my theory is that you will have quite good speakers but driven by some thing thats not that much cop

sorry just my opinion, i wish it was'nt, but most car hi fi's are from good

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering how people have got on with this. I'm likely to buy a Picanto in the next couple of months but the quality of the sound system is making me feel a bit unsure.

So has anyone had any luck replacing the 4 standard speakers with something better? I've heard 4" for the front and 5.25" for the back works, but whether this is optimal or really does work...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my picanto today and im not to happy with the sound system just coming from the car ive given to my wife that i could play DRUM AND BASS really load and sounded good. but for normal sounds it ok!

·
Registered
543 Posts
As many people know I'm the crazy person on here when it comes to audio :) I've changed mine all my speakers and the head unit in my equinox and the improvement was massive , the factory speakers only had very little sound to them :( , I listen to a lot of sound quality songs in my car picanto , I spend quite a lot of money on my speakers tho I'm not sure if alpine ones from halfords etc would get over the overall level of road noise , I've also put two small vibe lightair active sub under the drivers and passenger seat ,
The speakers I used were 4" focal 100cvx in fronts £80 a pair and
130krc focal 51/4" in the rear £200, and the vibes were £100 each , I also redone all the wires to the speakers with vibe flat tech ofc high definition speaker cable I've also orders some small jl tweeters which I'm going to install into custom pillar pods shortly and eventually amplify all the speakers using a small power full JL amp . It's not recommended changing too much as I've lost my warrenty on alot of things :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a nice setup! I'm not someone who wants enough bass to shake my organs loose, but I do want a well-rounded sound. Sounds like 4" in the front and 5.25" in the back is the way to go. Not sure about whether an amp would be necessary for my needs but I guess that's something I'll have to see along the way.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would find some nice speakers you like and put them in and can always be amped up afterwards if don't sound loud enough keeping the standard headunit using a speaker port to phono adapter and should sound really nice either way :) I like alpine speakers there very good quality for the price :) it boosted mine so much I was stunned

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was flipping a coin between Alpine and JBL. If you don't mind me asking, how hard was it to remove the door panels? Is this a job that a novice can do or am I best of getting it professionally done?
Edited by: blizzblizz

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would go alpine :) , jbl I've found don't last as long anymore they used to be good but they've changed there voice coil design and it makes the speakers distort alot , which I's very dissapointing .
The door panels wernt to bad to remove quite fidderly but well worth doing them myself I do a lot of car audio for various cars and I would say there one of the easiest I've done in a while . :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was thinking the same , I asked the dealers why it was poor they said it had to wear in which is true it takes 40hrs for the volume to increase to a nice level , but I cranked mine to full on the way out of the showroom ! I'm heavily into my music at high levels , and was going to change anyway I always have in every car I've had .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

I am upgrading. Mine did not come with factory head unit, have a Philips bluetooth unit. It sounds horrible with standard speakers. I have installed stereos before and I am sure that the following project will be a dramatic improvement:

4 channel pioneer amp - 35 watts RMS - 75 watts MAX

Polk Component 4 inch system up front - Midbass, tweeter and crossover

Infinity Reference 5.25 speaker in rear doors.

I am pretty confident this installation will be a major improvement. I dont expect major Bass, but it will be enough for me in such a small car. I really recommend separate components up front. I remember putting a simmilar system in an Old mercedes with 4 inch front speakers and it was a major difference.

Carlos

·
Registered
1 Posts
los1950 said:
Hello

I am upgrading. Mine did not come with factory head unit, have a Philips bluetooth unit. It sounds horrible with standard speakers. I have installed stereos before and I am sure that the following project will be a dramatic improvement:

4 channel pioneer amp - 35 watts RMS - 75 watts MAX

Polk Component 4 inch system up front - Midbass, tweeter and crossover

Infinity Reference 5.25 speaker in rear doors.

I am pretty confident this installation will be a major improvement. I dont expect major Bass, but it will be enough for me in such a small car. I really recommend separate components up front. I remember putting a simmilar system in an Old mercedes with 4 inch front speakers and it was a major difference.

Carlos

How did you get on with replacing the speakers?

I am depressed with the sound quality and lack of bass from the standard stereo in my 2013 Picanto, would like to replace the speakers/head unit but im unsure of how to remove the parts and whether it will affect my warranty.

I have replaced the standard stereos with aftermarket ones in other cars before, but never a new car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i will effect your warranty because your completely changing the sound system, but i carried on anyway and changed the fascia plate, head unit, and front 2 and rear 2 speakers for aftermarket ones, then but a dual 12" subwoofers in the boot for 2400 watt of bass. it sounds brilliant and i wouldn't be shy about doing it again.

if its a case that you want step by step instructions then just message me back

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.