Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just bought a New Picanto 2 what a lovely car only let down is there is no spare wheel and when shipped had no locking wheel nuts.
We ordered a spare wheel kit for the vehicle and everything appeared to be going along smoothly and the day before these were supposed to be fitted we had a call from the Service Department stating that the spare wheel kit does not fit into the well of the boot .
It appears the height if the wheel is forced in will along with the jack and wheel brace will decrease cubic meterage of the boot and raise the boot cover board by 2" above its normal hieght
What happens if the tyre is split the existing repair kit and aerosol will not be effective and would warrant a call out from a recovery organisation.
What a dissapointment you would have thought they would go back to spare wheels .
I have sought advice from Kia and they said they would make a Tech report and that a solution might not be available for some time
Has anyone any solution or is just a case of put up and shut up
Pipskee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before I ordered a car, I measured the diameter of the wheel and the section width of the tyre and concluded the wheel/tyre would not fit into the wheel in the floor. Sadly I didn't order a car because of this.
I've looked at the spare wheel arrangement of the Hyundai I10 and this has a very skinny temorary wheel that does fit into the boot well. It has a foam insert which sits in the wheel, into which the tools fit.

I don't know whether the wheel will fit the Picanto hub. Perhaps this is worth trying.

I reckon the spare wheel is not fitted to the Picanto due to a) cost and b) the additional weight may tip the car out of the 100gm/km emmision limit for tax and congestion charge exemption.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I to want a spare wheel, i wonder if by deflating the tyre would that fit? or as above the skiny from the Iq, which sounds a good option as wont wiegh as much, or last resort raise the floor of the boot using wood spacers and a sheet of mdf?

·
Registered
62 Posts
trumpet2

which one did you do? deflate a tyre or use the IQ space saver?

interested as I will do the same

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a standard tyre, not deflated. Then i made a couple of 30mm spacer channels, lay at either side of the wheel well. Then made a base out of perspex.

·
Registered
62 Posts
sounds good, i will investigate the purchase of a tyre and wheel, i wonder if the old picanto wheel would fit ours, if so i might see if a scrap yards got or depending on cost get a new alloy, do you think deflating the tyre would allow it to be housed without doing the spacers (as we are supplied with a pump) like you i prefer to have a spare wheel.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ewan, i think deflating the tyre won't make any difference to be honest.Even deflated i'm sure it will still sit proud of the tyre well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Right then, its the same as you, the way to go! thanks for sharing the exerience, i will get a quote for spare and then will do what you did

thanks again

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've had the same issue I ordered a spare alloy with mine and just got in boot but no space anymore for shopping etc , I'm going to think of a nice way aswell soon those cans with foam product are not very good and useless for a split side wall :( . Which my gf done parking for shopping before

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picanto 1.2 Ecodynamics

Heres what we (well my husband) did;

Having looked on the following website

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/steekmaat.php?merk=Kia&type=Picanto (2004 - 2008)&merk2=Kia

Then

1. He tried the spare wheel from a neighbours Hyundai i10, but found that the wheel raised the boot floor by about 1.5 inches, although only a spacesaver tyre it appeared to be a full size spare wheel!!

2. He went to a local scrapyard and bought a spacesave wheel and tyre from a Toyota MR2 for £5.

This had the correct centre bore, stud fitting, offsetand was marked 4T x 14. This is the size that is listed under Tyres and Wheels in the handbook (page 8.3) as Compact spare tyre.

3. Having confirmed correct fitting on both vehicle axles and spare wheel well he then returned to scrapyard and bought a toolkit complete with jack and wheelbrace that fitted inside a 14 inch wheel for a further £5. Not sure what vehicle it was off.

We now have a spacesaver wheel/tyre that fits in the spare wheel well and the boot floor is at the same height as before so I can get my shopping in all for thge sum of £10.

·
Registered
62 Posts
that sounds brill, i would never have thought that the mr2 would have the same fitment!, know what i'l be doing this sat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi folks re this thought id let you know purchased a spare wheel kit for the old Picanto cost £161including VAT
The wheel just about fitted into the well but was 2" to high so the solution came up with by local Kia servicing department was to glue polystyrene strips to the underside of boot cover to raise it and to prevent distortion.
Not an ideal solution but it worked even if it did reduce the cubic capacity of the boot.
It still has a good spaced boot even with it there though. The jack and wheel brace fits into the inner cavity of the wheel
Ive binned the stupid aerosole thing and thank god have now got a spare wheel.
As for the locking wheel nuts well they finally arrived and all this was done together as one job
Its a real shame the spare was not even thought of either with a space saver would have been better than a stupid aerosole
There does not seem to be any solution forthcoming from KIA and im told that if there is one i would have to pay for a Space saver if and when they make one

Why oh why should i have to pay for something that should be on the vehicle in the first place !!!!!!!!
Thanks guys for all your comments and possible solutions its appreciated

I hope Kia reads them

Come on Kia you can do better than that !!!!!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The spare wheels fit, although they do raise the boot floor panel slightly, its not detremental to boot space. Regards to old picanto wheels.... they have a different taper for the wheel nuts so cant be used for the new picanto.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quite possibly, unfortunately im not sure if there are any other differences on the wheel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ewan said:
that sounds brill, i would never have thought that the mr2 would have the same fitment!, know what i'l be doing this sat
scrap yard didn't have any, went on bay and their all 5 stud, PacJen do you know what year it was off? (mr2 space saver)

cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a spacesaver spare from a Daihatsu Sirion which fitted my old Picanto, and the stud spacing seems to be exactly the same on my new Picanto delivered this week. Found it on Ebay for £10.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts