Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with their picanto?

Not long after getting the car my wife got stuck in a multi story car park the brake would not disengage as if the hill decent was stuck on after about 30min it sorted itself.

Tonight after locking up (as she called it) to stop hitting a stationery car and stalling it would not restart again after about 30min its fine.

after the first instance the garage checked it over and nothing - they will be doing the same again tomorrow, the police officer who attended the scene (stationery on the inside lane of a dual carriage way so before anyone start it did require the police) said these little cars do have immobilisers which can get in a pickle.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

<!-->

I have had my engine suddenly go into stutter mode.
I would accelerate only to jerk away until car is switched off. (Auto vesrsion) Engine light
comes on to indicate a fault.

Been to Kia ... found nothing "broken".

Did it again to me last week. Only 1200km on the clock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope mine doesn't get into a "pickle" I would certainly panic.
The only problem i have had was when starting it one time i was in gear and took my foot off the clutch stalling it. Instead of turning the key to off to start again i just turned it clockwise. It was really jerky with no power. It righted itself when i re started it again to return to work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive got the Halo automatic and have not had this problem since i bought the car in October 2011.

I have only had one warning indication when i clipped a curb and when i started my car it told me my steering wasnt straight. but since then, no problems at all.

I would deffinately get it seen to, it does come with warrenty and servicing after all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

<!-->

Been back to Kia for second time. They still could not
identify the fault.

They have ordered a whole new replacement "part" or
whatever. Phoned me today to say part arrived. Appointment is for
Thursday.

In mean time I have picked up another issue revolving around breaks.
Every so often when applying breaks, I get strange behavior ... as if the
breaks give a little. You apply breaks judging your stopping
distance. Suddenly breaking is "released" a little. Very
unsettling feeling when it happens.

Will be asking about that too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had some fairly major brake problems with a new Picanto1 over the last month. After 4 months and 2000 miles of problem free driving the handbrake cable seized, permanently locking the rear near side wheel. The car went back under warranty and the cable was replaced only for the car to be immediately returned due to the brakes binding on the same wheel after the repair! The caliper was replaced only for the car to have to be returned again due to the brakes binding on the rear off side wheel (i.e. the opposite wheel).

Has anyone else seen similar brake issues with the new Picanto? Kia have told me there is a problem getting replacement calipers for the Picanto 1 at the moment (3 week back order) so I wondered if this was just a stock control issue or there are other people in the same position as me?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its called "brake", not break.

If i were you, let the dealer reflash your ECU.

For MG- its one of the factory defect once again....
time to go back to the drawing board again for the engineers.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well atleast the 7 year warranty served me well but unfortunately the dealer succeeded in not being able to completely fix the braking issue and the car had to be returned a third time to adjust the brakes after they replaced the calliper as they were binding/overheating again. I think this highlights that the great 7 year warranty only has value if you have a good dealer who checks the work and makes sure the car is returned to you with no further issues. The dealer I bought my Picanto from, Sandicliffe Kia in Leicester, certainly hasn't lived up to my expectations on this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your dealer must report your case to KIA, KIA will come up to a better solution MG, by issuing a new factory made caliper.....(different source)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had a similar brake problem with a picanto 2011 1Last week both calipers seized up .The car is undriveable.
has anyone had their calipers fixed recently and how long did it take .My dealer seems to have no clue about waiting times and I really need this car on the road asap.
My other concern is ,what if something else goes wrong ,will there be a wait period for all spares.Should Kia not keep a supply of spares in the U.K?
Philipg50

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Philipg50
Was it the front or rear callipers that seized up? The driver rear calliper on my new Picanto has now just seized up. The RAC man for Kia Assist was great and diagnosed seizing of the handbrake lever on the calliper. Since this is the second Calliper to fail/seize due to the handbrake mechanism I think there is definitely a bad batch of rear callipers out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there,
It was both rear calipers seemingly.Problem started with the handbrake,I thought that it was just the handbrake cable becoming faulty ,then the car brakes started binding.car has now been in since thursday24th May,very frustrating as I had only had the car six weeks at that time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Snap - exactly the same problem I've had with a new Picanto 1 I bought new in December 2011. The main issue I had was the dealer didn't believe it was a calliper issue, fiddling with the handbrake adjustment instead. I think this may have been because it is currently difficult to get picanto callipers at the moment; last I heard new stock was coming into the country for the end of May. Once the stock is available it only took the dealer a couple of days to fit the first calliper that failed.

I think the worry has to be that for 2 people to report the same issue on this forum, you have to wonder how many more cars are affected and how long the new stock of callipers will last if there's a bad batch failing out there. Highlight this to your dealer and ask them to order the part with high priority and make sure they're aware this may be a wider issue than just with your car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't forget that under Kia Assist, Kia will provide you with a nice new shiny hire car until they get your car back on the road. I think the RAC (under Kia Assist) provide a 2 day hire the moment your car is recovered under the Kia Assist programme and your dealer can then extend it by talking directly to Kia as part of the warranty programme.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! been experiencing the same problem and dealer said it's an electrical fault but they still could not know which one!

do suggest to have it sent back to dealer and have the rpm sensor checked as i am currently persuading them that perhaps the sensor has a factory defect.

by any chance anyone knows how to report this to KIA itself? as looks like it's a factory defect as my odo is only 8600kms runned in...

thanks and more power!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
my car has been sitting in the dealer's backyard for nearly SIX weeks now and I am getting very concerned that other problems may occur, as the garage was flooded out in recent bad weather.I wonder whether the front brakes may now be seized up as well as the back ones.I contacted customer support about delivery of the rear callipers last Monday and was assured that someone would get back to me....no contact from themyet.very poor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately the response I got back from my dealer is that Kia have no timeline for the availability of rear calipers unaffected by the manufacturing defect that resulted in them seizing up. I'm also not convinced that KIA UK even know which Picantos are affected and are just waiting for them to fail and be returned. As a result taking parts off stock cars may not even be a solution.

Given that I've heard that it takes 3 weeks for parts to be imported from South Korea and pass through customs I'm guessing that means that all these affected cars will be off the road for at least another month. Needless to say I'm in negotiations to come to an alternative resolution of the problem!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012 3 door Picanto, and have been informed by the dealer the rearcallipers are on back order from the factory and no date given when they might be available.
Robbie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.