Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

To all out there who have the new 1.2 automatic picanto,how is the mpg compared to the old 1.1,and have you had any minor problems yet!

I ask as i am looking into buying one,but i have noticed on other sites the i10 thatshares the same engine & autobox are having resonance in the car at 3200-3600 rpm in any gear,just wondered how the kiacars are?

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the new Picanto 1.25 Auto. Yes same engine as i10, but don't think same gearbox. The i10 is meant to have a 5th gear overdrive which Picanto does not have.

Problems: posted that already in another thread, but I will repeat again here. I have had engine fault twice now where the engine goes into stutter mode and hickups along the road until engine turned off and restated. Apparently it is the result of a stuck throttle valve. I am keeping an eye on that one.

I have found a "resonance" at around 2100 RPM for first kilometer or 2. It goes away and all perfect thereafter. Asked Kia about it, but no idea as to what it is.

Can not comment of fuel consumption. Other than that, happy with car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers MrDIY

I will have to see if anyone else on the forum has had this stutter with the engine,so you have not noticed any resonance at 3000 or so rpm! hope that is just with the i10 then.

Cheers,

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nope .. nothing at 3000.

The i10 build quality is apparently not as good as the Kia. Still good, but not as good. I myself not heard of anybody else with my problem. Lots of the i10's her in South Africa, but the Kia is similar price with far better features.

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Picanto Auto on my new car shortlist. In fact, I will be test driving one tomorrow morning and so will report back on my findings. By the way, I noticed that Kia are now offering £500 off the list price.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ptolemy,

Cheers on that info,i am alsolooking at changingour current 1.1 auto this month or next at the latest!

Just trying to get a bit of feed back from anyone who is driving the latest 1.25 auto as to how they feel,how much better this new one is,plus any minor niggles yet.

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I drove a new Picanto 1.25 2 Auto today and it was a thoroughly decent little car. The auto box was smooth although the car was already warm from an earlier test drive. Steering felt ok to me despite some having criticised it. Brakes were sharp but easy to get used to.However, I followed this test drive with a visit to Suzuki and went out in the new Swift SZ4 Auto which they have on VAT off for £11600 instead of £14000. Have to say that as much as I liked the Picanto it isn't as good to drive as the Swift (handling/steering/ride) and so I'll most likely be heading back to Suzuki for my new car. I understand fully why anyone would want a Picanto it just isn't the car for me this time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ptolemy

I will have to take a look at the suzuki,do you think the engine is powerful enough for the size of the car,some road test say the auto swift is under powered.

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
carmagazine.co.uk has a review that says Swift power is good.

if you can get a Swift for a good price, it is the way to go.
Here in South Africa, only the standard Swift 1.4GLS AT is available at almost 2 x the price of a 1.25 Picanto. You do get a Swift SX4, but only in 2 liter and more than twice the price of Picanto. The only the Swift Alto is comparable in price, but not available in AT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The deal on the Swift is very tempting and I have been offered a further few hundred off if I place the order in January ready for a March delivery with the new '12' number plate. The only thing stopping me at the moment is that I want to drive the Suzuki Splash first but am likely to put my name down for one or the other soon. I have gone through the list of every small auto on the market and at the minute the Suzukis are out on top. If I had a bit more money I might consider a Polo with DSG gearbox but they have had a few technical issues with that gearbox and it is not as much fun to drive as the Swift. I like the new Kia Rio but the Auto is a lot of money (without the sort of deal that Suzuki are offering) and the mpg / co2 not as good. The Swift is in the same road tax band as the Picanto.

The Swift has, I think, about 95 bhp which is more that respectable for a 1.2 engine. As with many little Japanese motors it likes to be revved to deliver the performance. If you just potter about then it doesn't feel particularly swift (sorry, couldn't resist). If you get the gearbox to kickdown and use the revs then it goes well enough, and certainly as well as the Picanto, if never fast. They both use conventional torque converter automatics and change smoothly. I also reset the ave. mpg on the trip computer and managed 48mpg during the drive. The Swift feels a little bigger than it is which is either a good or bad thing depending on why you drive a little car. If you want the easiest car to slot into parking slots then the Picanto wins but ultimately the Swift is still a little car and shorter than a Fiesta, Polo etc.... The Swift is excellent for safety (not that the Picanrto is bad) and has seven standard airbags and ESP. It also has a five star Euro Ncap rating.

I owned a Swift a few years ago and the new one surprised me with how well Suzuki have ironed out the flaws in the old model. The new one rides very well over poor surfaces, is noticeably quieter and feels a lot more solid. The good handling of the original has been, if anything, improved further and the turn in and body control remind me of a Mini. It is not perfect, however, the boot is quite small although as you might expect still larger than the little Picanto.

Right, I'll stop boring you all now, this is, after all a Kia forum, not a Suzuki forum. However, I do like Kia and had the pricing and spec of the Rio been more appealing I might have considered one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh, in the interests of a little more balance, the Suzuki has a three year warranty whilst the Picanto has that amazing seven year cover. The Picanto is also available with that good value pre paid servicing deal (£269 for three years). The Swift has 16" wheels whereas the Picanto 2 has 14" wheels and so tyres will be cheaper on the Kia. (Feel al little better now that I have said that).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for that ptolemy,

I have also on our short list the mazda 2 activematic(1.5l),as well as the suzuki.

one thing i forgot to say at the start, is this is mainly for the wife to drive,so as you say about parking etc, i thinkthe wifewill want to go for the picanto as she has been happy with theone we've got(1.1 lx auto)

But i will still drag her round the other two cars just so she can be sure?

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Mazda 2 drives very well. I did take a look at one and have driven a manual version. However, the co2 / road tax is quite high and the mpg (realistically 35ish according to user reports) ruled it out for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 1.25 manual does 38 MPG and the 1.25 auto does 37 mpg. Both with aircon on all the time.

There is no way either can do 40+mpg.

The official figures are of no value.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts