Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a kia venga automatic for many years which has a silky smooth traditional torque converter gearbox but its getting old now and time for a new car and i am thinking of buying a brand new picanto "automatic" , i have heard a lot of negative things about the new gearbox type in the kia range, what is your experience/opinion of the picanto auto ?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i have a kia venga automatic for many years which has a silky smooth traditional torque converter gearbox but its getting old now and time for a new car and i am thinking of buying a brand new picanto "automatic" , i have heard a lot of negative things about the new gearbox type in the kia range, what is your experience/opinion of the picanto auto ?
Nooooo your leaving the venga boys and buying a dodgem..

·
Registered
2019 Picanto 1.2 3 auto
37 Posts
Well, I just got my first Kia a few weeks ago.
Moved from a 2011 Ford Fiesta auto which had, for me, a superb silky smooth auto box to a 2019 Picanto 1.2 "3" auto with under 5K on the clock.
I was a bit dubious at first as to whether or not it would match up to the Fiesta but have to say that I am not disappointed.
First week I had it I took a 250 mile round trip to visit family and it performed perfectly and delivered 50 mpg (on the display).
The gear changes are very smooth and it never seemed to be struggling or stressed.
Like I said, I'm only a few weeks into it but so far am very happy.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Kia Uk "build a car" says a new Picanto gets a 5 speed AMT, which I'm presuming means automated manual transmission ie: a manual 5 speed gearbox mated to some electronic wizardry that presses the clutch, shifts the gear based on speed / whether you are pressing the brake etc and then releases the clutch to restore drive.
With other car Marques the reliability of these range from all good to shockingly bad.
Having said that Hyundai / Kia also use DCT boxes on the bigger cars and these are anecdotally much more reliable than other Marques so maybe Hyundai / Kia are confident in their offering (unlike Ford and PSA who have both gone back to Torque Converter and Toyota / Honda who went back to CVT - and recently some DCT ).
Nnotoriously "mechatronic" parts if / when needed are ridiculously expensive (partly due to low volume of auto gearbox car sales) and a failure can write off an older car so I'd recommend you keep up with servicing to keep the 7 year warranty if needed.
Having said all that, Hyundai / Kia got it right with torque converter boxes and it seems they also got it right with DCT boxes so their track record is strong but only time will tell for these new AMT's.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you are talking about the 1.25 litre Picanto with 4 speed torque converter automatic, I have driven 5 of the JA model Picantos including the two my family and myself currently own. The consistency from car to car was absolutely identical so the opinions I am giving are not unique to just my own two cars.

The transmission is OK but the shifts are not as smooth as the Hyundai / Kia 6 speed automatics that I have experienced in their bigger cars such as the Sportage. The shifts between 2nd and 3rd are actually rather abrupt until the gearbox warms up but that said, none of the shifts are ever outright uncomfortable or jerky. They just aren't as refined as they are in more expensive 6 and 8 speed auto transmissions I have used (which of course ar euniversally fitted to much more expensive cars). But if you are coming from any basic car from more than a decade ago that had a three or four speed torque converter auto I don't think you will be disappointed. Also, the transmission is far better at high speeds than people give it credit for. I have driven interstate quite a few times in my Picantos and up hill and down dale the transmissionhappily stays in top. It hardly ever needs to go back to third and most of the time instead will simply unobtrusively unlock the converter (as seen by a revs increase at a constant speed) then re-lock it once the hill is done with. I actually find this much less annoying than the 6 speed transmissions which cannot make their minds up amongst 4th, 5th and 6th in the same circumstances.

The transmissions also seem very picky about fluid. I got bad results using the Penrite brand fluid for example but pretty good results with the Nulon equivalent. But yeh, the shifts between 2nd a 3rd could almost do with better calibration in my view - I don't think Kia quite got the torque behaviour of the engine during the gearchange quite as good as they did the other ratios. But once the gearbox is fully warmed up it is quite nice - but definitely not to the standard of the 6 speeders.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have owned and driven several males of car with automated mechanical gearbox over the past 20 years.
My current car is a Picanto 3 , 7 months old. This is the smoothest gearbox of all and the 57 mpg on a motorway run is superb!

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
If OP is talking about a New Picanto, then they are all 1.0 engines. So Auto is the 66hp non-turbo engine.

Reactions: Cold Sausage

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2018 Picanto 3 has a traditional auto box, which I find is quite smooth. I wish it had an extra gear for motorway journeys though.

Haven't they gone away from this type of auto in the new Picanto and adopted an automated manual style one instead. Whilst these tend to be better for emissions and MPG, they're not as nice to drive as a normal auto box in my experience (previous car of five years was a 2014 Toyota Aygo x-clusiv with the x-shift gearbox, which I drove in manual mode the majority of the time, but ultimately it was the gearbox I tired of, lovely little town car otherwise).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yep new one is an AMT linked to a 1.0 engine. Old one is 4 speed Torque Convertor linked to a 1.25 engine.

A 5th gear on the old ones would be handy but I find it ok & it's not screaming on the motorway. Fuel economy ain't fantastic but it's a small TC auto so fair enough.

New one is going to be better on fuel but won't be as smooth (i'm in no hurry to swap from ours).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yep new one is an AMT linked to a 1.0 engine. Old one is 4 speed Torque Convertor linked to a 1.25 engine.
Thank goodness here in Australia Kia likes to give us old school stuff. So we can still buy a brand new Picanto with 1.25 litre engine and 4 speed torque converter.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thank goodness here in Australia Kia likes to give us old school stuff. So we can still buy a brand new Picanto with 1.25 litre engine and 4 speed torque converter.
Yes I must admit I wish that here too we could still buy the Picanto with the older transmission & engine, as I much prefer it.
Funnily enough i actually rate the Australian spec' as my favourite, as you appear to have manual aircon', 14" wheels, along with reversing camera. Here to get the 'camera you have to have climate control & 15" wheels - neither of which I want, as I like high-profile tyres & climate control is unnecessary added complication to my eyes.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
You are aware you can turn Climate control off & it acts just like manual A/C.
Which is how we run both our cars. Can not do with the fans kicking in with Climate control to keep the temp stable.

·
Registered
2019 Picanto 1.2 3 auto
37 Posts
I am also running the climate control in manual mode. No need to have the automation for my use. Have no issue with the 15 inch wheels either. Give a really comfy ride compared to the Fiesta Titanium with low profile tyres that I moved from. That one was like a go-cart!

·
Registered
599 Posts
You are aware you can turn Climate control off & it acts just like manual A/C.
Which is how we run both our cars. Can not do with the fans kicking in with Climate control to keep the temp stable.
I am aware you can turn it off & use manually, but it's push button controls, I prefer the set up on the "2" whereby it's rotary controls that can be operated more easily by touch.

I'm sure the 15" wheels are ok but I'd always rather have a higher profile tyre as the ride is usually better & they are always better at coping with potholes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I like the manual dials and so used to them in all my cars, easy to work out in a pinch. Drove the MY21 Rio in the rain last night and took some time to work out the defog cause I don't drive it that often!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts