Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a brand-spanking new e-Niro 4+ 2 days ago and I’m loving it so far. However, I’ve got some questions about using it with my iPhone 8...
  1. I have checked wireless charging is enabled, but my phone doesn’t charge and the Qi light doesn’t come on. I’ve removed the phone cover too and it still doesn’t work. CarPlay works, so that’s ok, but it’s more for my wife & son who both have wireless capable iPhones. Any help/tips?
  2. Does the voice button on the steering wheel activate Siri when the phone is plugged in? Mine doesn’t - it closed CarPlay and activated Kia voice assistant. Is this expected behaviour?
  3. I noticed that the songs from my Apple Music are displayed on the dashboard when the tracks change - nice. However, what would be more useful would be to have the turn-by-turn directions from Apple Maps displayed in?
Any help on these questions would be appreciated for an EV newbie. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your phone charge on any other wireless chargers?

When in car play the button should activate Siri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks BAH434X. We don’t have any wireless chargers to try it on. I’ll try with my wife’s phone later and report back.

I wonder if there’s some setting preventing Siri from working properly. Probably need to have a bit more of a play with it

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,956 Posts
Thanks BAH434X. We don’t have any wireless chargers to try it on. I’ll try with my wife’s phone later and report back.

I wonder if there’s some setting preventing Siri from working properly. Probably need to have a bit more of a play with it
There is a setting somewhere "on the steering wheel". I deactivated it on my Niro 4 as the p0hone is not able to take advantage of it

Reactions: bampotent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been out for another spin. My son’s phone (an iPhone SE) charged wirelessly straight away, so looks like an issue with my phone. I also got Siri working through the steering wheel control - you need to press and hold the voice button to activate it. 👍🏼

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I found the wireless charging toggle from reading up elsewhere on this forum and looking at the owners manual, and it’s definitely turned on. I found out this morning that my son’s phone charged wirelessly, confirming it’s not an issue with the car.

Most of the time it’ll just be me in it, and my phone will be plugged in for music/navigation etc with CarPlay, so I’ll get the charge that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried just moving your phone around a bit, as sometimes hot spots do not always line up. Or a reboot of the phone after toggling on/off of the wireless on phone?
Yeah, I tried it in a variety of positions both before and after restarting the phone. I didn’t try toggling the Wi-fi on the phone though - wouldn’t have thought this would make a difference

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I tried it in a variety of positions both before and after restarting the phone. I didn’t try toggling the Wi-fi on the phone though - wouldn’t have thought this would make a difference
The iPhone 8 isn’t known for wireless charging issue’s. Has it had any knocks or repairs. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The iPhone 8 isn’t known for wireless charging issue’s. Has it had any knocks or repairs. ?

I’ve not had it that long - it was a replacement under warranty just before Christmas. I might have dropped it once, so it could be that, but otherwise it’s performing as expected.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Not WiFi. A full turn on & off of the phone...

It's the IT mans 1st bit of advice, to give them thinking time :)

·
Banned
513 Posts
Don’t know if you have tried this ?
  1. Hard Reset Your iPhone
    If your iPhone is completely unresponsive when you place it on the wireless charging pad, you may need to perform a hard reset. A hard reset will force your iPhone to quickly turn off and back on, which can temporarily fix the problem if your iPhone is not charging wirelessly.
    To hard reset your iPhone, quickly press and release the volume up button, then press and release the volume down button, then press and hold the side button. Keep holding the side button on the Apple logo appears on your iPhone’s display.
    Don’t be surprised if you have to hold down the side button for 15–30 seconds!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don’t know if you have tried this ?
  1. Hard Reset Your iPhone
    If your iPhone is completely unresponsive when you place it on the wireless charging pad, you may need to perform a hard reset. A hard reset will force your iPhone to quickly turn off and back on, which can temporarily fix the problem if your iPhone is not charging wirelessly.
    To hard reset your iPhone, quickly press and release the volume up button, then press and release the volume down button, then press and hold the side button. Keep holding the side button on the Apple logo appears on your iPhone’s display.
    Don’t be surprised if you have to hold down the side button for 15–30 seconds!
I’ll give this a try, but won’t hold my breath! Will report back when I’ve had a go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am new here. Just took delivery of an E-Niro last week.
Total longshot: you say that Carplay works but wireless charging doesn’t. If Carplay is running, it means your phone is plugged in via USB - and then it will obviously not charge wirelessly but via USB. Sounds silly, but I actually wondered a couple of times myself why the charging indicator light wasn’t on - only to realize that I plugged the phone in via USB :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

I am new here. Just took delivery of an E-Niro last week.
Total longshot: you say that Carplay works but wireless charging doesn’t. If Carplay is running, it means your phone is plugged in via USB - and then it will obviously not charge wirelessly but via USB. Sounds silly, but I actually wondered a couple of times myself why the charging indicator light wasn’t on - only to realize that I plugged the phone in via USB :)
So I tried the hard reset suggested by @Davidb123 and that didn’t work. It’s not been plugged into the USB any time that I’ve tried wireless charging, as I know this defeats the purpose of wireless charging! Anyway, I reckon I have a duff phone and I’ll have to live with plugging it in, which I had to do in my last car anyway, so it’s no big loss for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.