Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all new member here i have just bought my first sorrento its a 2007 xe with 22000 on clock i am very impressed but have a concern about the spare wheel size i have bought it to tow my caravan but the wheels and tyres are255/55/18 and the spare is245/70/16 can anyone tell me if the spare will be ok to use or will i have to buy another 18 inch wheel

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Welcome to forum.I have an XE which i have owned from new.I have an auto and it is anexcellenttowcar in my opinion superior to the Disco i owned before it Mine has 245/70 R16all- round.All literature i have quotes this size. Does your spare and the vehicle rims match or has someone put different rims on motor with low profile tyres.To use the spare you would have to check that the overall diameter of the tyre is the same as the ones on the motor, otherwise you will create stress on the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi birdman thanks for your reply the garage i bought the car off said the previous owner had the 18 inch wheels put on by kia but i dont know.iam a bit concerned in case i get aflat with the caravan on if it will get me out of trouble

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just been on to kia where car as been serviced from new they said spare ok as long as its for short distances to get me out of trouble

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
It might be worth while taking a wheel off and see if it will fit underneath, if so you could perhaps obtain one from a breakers.Sods law if you get a puncture it will be when towing with a few hundred miles to go.Any how happy caravanning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,I am also a new member with a 2007 Sorento EXL (Australian badging for Limited version) this has the leather seats and sunroof in the package. When I bought the car new I fitted much more articulate suspension to the car (OLD MAN EMU) and find the ride to be much smoother than before. Anyway I have done almost 50K (30k miles) and have to replace the genuineHankook tyres which are 245/65/17, I was wondering whethera larger265 footprintwould interfere with the wheel arch? I understand that the spec says 245 and that the bearing centring is favourable for a larger footprint, I just wonder if there is anyone out there who has experience with this.

John

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 18" has a rolling radius of 738mm and the 16" has a rolling radius of 749mm. You dont really want a difference of more than +/- 2.5% and the difference you have is 1.49% so that will be OK running as the spare, hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I agree with the diameter comparing 18" and 16" (more choice with the 16's I would have thought).
For the 17" rims it is 750mm,so ifI put on a wider rim to suit the 265mm wide tyre on an 8" rim. Is there room to balance the extra 20mm widthmaking almost an extra 10mm closer in the wheel archradius effecively when the front wheels are on full lock. Just wondering if anyone has done this.
Do a fair bit of dirt road driving and the wider footprintstrack so much better.

Cheers

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts