Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new member here, already been having a read up on the forum and encouraged by the 'not that many' faults and problems reported on the 2016+ cars.

We've been considering a Sportage in the family on and off for a couple of years now and always come back to it when reading up about other Automotive disasters makes and models - we want a crossover sized vehicle as we do regular long journeys with 4-up and also want that higher driving position favoured these days.

Anyway I've spotted a 2017 1.7 CRDi GT Line DCT auto 140?bhp with 2 wheel drive - I'm not fussed about wanting 4WD but believe only the 2.0 diesel has 4WD.

The car has been a company car and covered 105,000 miles - this doesn't normally bother me as it would have spent it's life pounding the motorways which is all good usage to me (rather that than 100k of door to door work).

My questions are:

What are other members opinions about the mileage?
I'm sure the engine is Cam-Chain - but anything to be aware of there?
I'd anticipate a fluid change on the gearbox asap.
Are the cars easy enough to maintain DIY? I do all my own serving and brakes etc.
Any common issues to jump on before they arise?
Do these engines run a DPF or additive package?

Many thanks for reading.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Welton and welcome to the forum :)
Sorry I cannot answer any tech questions on this model but I guess one factor would be 'how much',buying a high miler is not necessarily a bad option but I would not want to be paying top dollar for one.

rgds max

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The car has been a company car and covered 105,000 miles
Welcome to the forum, ‘Welton’.

Unless the vehicle is in remarkably good condition yet priced very cheap, I wouldn’t touch it, preferring some kind of dealer warranty, even only 6 months or a year.

Obviously, there is no KIA warranty left on the vehicle on account of that mileage but would you not prefer a Sportage from a KIA dealership with a correct warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and replies.

The car is £12k and from the pics looks mint (but we've all been to look at 'mint' cars eh?).

We only do about 8k miles per year so won't be adding massively to the mileage overall.

I did think about the warranty being expired but do a lot of Sportage owners use the Kia Warranty?

I dunno - I get the concerns about mileage, I've had high milers in the past and always enjoyed them, we'll see, I haven't committed to anything at this time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think the lack of warranty should be too concerning. We quite happily buy other marques without warranty every day, and if anything, i think Kia reliability is an awful lot better than most other manufacturers out there. But £12K (based on limited info admittedly) seems just a tad high to me.

Oh and the engine setup/accessibility for DIY maintenance is reminiscent of Japanese cars....logical, straightforward with plenty of room. You won't need a PhD or a set of special tools only available in Germany to to be able to check the oil level.

·
Registered
172 Posts
100,000 miles is nothing for engines these days - you should expect at least double-that before running into any major issues.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Every car registered in the EU (those laws applied and still apply to the UK) after 01 January 2011 was required to be fitted with a DPF, no DPF and the car could not be registered. Many cars were fitted with DPF's before that date if they could not meet the legal emission requirements without one.

The additive packages were originally used on cars where the location of the DPF made regeneration difficult, the product was called EOLYS and Kia did not use it. Pretty sure that all newer cars are fitted with AddBlue but a car from 2017 should not have needed one under the old rules.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This car WILL have a DPF, not known for causing problems prematurely but at this kind of milage you will be taking a chance with all the mechanicals. 12k seems a little steep for this car but that's just my opinion, have a good look around there will be lots of Sportages available second hand given how popular the car is in the UK and you could possibly get a lower milage with a year or two warranty still left. I have had 3 1.7d and no problems other than the fuel filter clogging up which is a known issue and has been rectified by Kia.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As you said, 100k up and down the motorways is a pretty easy life for a car. Probably better than a very low mileage car that has spent all it’s life running 3 miles to the shops and back, and never getting warmed up.

Company cars also get maintained well as it doesn’t cost the owner anything to do so, with the company picking up the bills.

Maybe squeeze them down a bit on price but if the car is in good nick there isn’t anything to be scared of. 100k is just a number, do you think people in metric countries start panicking about reliability at precisely 160k km? This isn’t some BL crap from the 70s any more.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Don't forget that at 3 years and 100,000 miles the warranty ends.

A Hyundai Tuxson of the same age and miles would still have 2 years warranty remaining.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In my opinion 12k is way too much for a 100,000 mile car,it might be virtually worthless if you want to part ex/sell in the future.
It always makes me laugh with car dealers - they want top dollar for high milers when you can quite often pick up a normal mileage vehicle for much the same price.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't forget that at 3 years and 100,000 miles the warranty ends.

A Hyundai Tuxson of the same age and miles would still have 2 years warranty remaining.
7 years not 3 - but yes the 100,000 miles still applies so whichever way you look at it, it's expired - but pretty sure the OP is well aware of this.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If the OP is happy to lash out 12K on a car with no warranty, then good luck to him. If he is equally happy to DIY any work required during his ownership of the vehicle, then that is his business.

For what it’s worth, I suspect most readers of these pages would prefer to spend 12 grand on a 2nd-hand car more wisely; it isn’t as if £12,000 cars with warranty are hard to come by.

Without meaning to advertise or recommend another car brand and, purely for example, the Dacia Duster range starts at less that 12K and even the top-of-the-range model comes in at under 16K. That is for a brand-new car.

Ok, it’s only a 3-year warranty but the model represents excellent value for money and utilises much well tried and tested Renault hardware so should prove pretty reliable. Food for thought perhaps?

·
Registered
631 Posts
7 years not 3 - but yes the 100,000 miles still applies so whichever way you look at it, it's expired - but pretty sure the OP is well aware of this.
You totally misunderstood what I said.

The car the OP has viewed was a 2017 car which means it was registered any time between 01 January 2017 and 31 December 2017.

Kia's do indeed have a 7 year warranty BUT once the car is over 3 years old and the odometer clicks over 100,000 miles it has NO WARRANTY.

Since the car the OP has viewed could well be over 3 years old and regardless will be 3 years old in a maximum of 3 months 14 days and with over 100,000 miles it will have no warranty.

Most buyers will go to look at a used Kia and see the magical 7 year warranty sticker in the window and assume the car still has a warranty. They will never bother to read up on the facts and only come on here when the shit hits the fan to moan about what a rubbish company Kia are. I read a post on another forum some time ago where a chap had bought a 10 year old Rio and was shocked to find that the 7 year warranty did not apply to his purchase and was wanting to know what hos chances were if he took Kia to court. If brains were taxed he and many others would be due a rebate.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Most buyers will go to look at a used Kia and see the magical 7 year warranty sticker in the window and assume the car still has a warranty. They will never bother to read up on the facts and only come on here when the shit hits the fan to moan about what a rubbish company Kia are. I read a post on another forum some time ago where a chap had bought a 10 year old Rio and was shocked to find that the 7 year warranty did not apply to his purchase and was wanting to know what hos chances were if he took Kia to court. If brains were taxed he and many others would be due a rebate.
I would really hope it's a tiny minority of people that are actually that stupid rather than "most buyers"!
Otherwise it doesn't bode well for society :)

·
Registered
172 Posts

The car the OP has viewed was a 2017 car which means it was registered any time between 01 January 2017 and 31 December 2017.

Kia's do indeed have a 7 year warranty BUT once the car is over 3 years old and the odometer clicks over 100,000 miles it has NO WARRANTY.

Since the car the OP has viewed could well be over 3 years old and regardless will be 3 years old in a maximum of 3 months 14 days and with over 100,000 miles it will have no warranty.

Not quite sure why you felt it necessary to argue this point since I had said I agreed with you that the warranty has expired, but since you did....
The warranty is 7 years or 100,000 miles.
As 100,000 miles has passed the warranty is spent.

I have a 3y8m old Kia Sportage with 26,000 miles on the clock currently and it's still got 3y4m of warranty left to run on it, unless I hit 100k in that time.

Not quite sure what "3 years" has to do with anything. Its a 7 year warranty, not a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi all - new member here, already been having a read up on the forum and encouraged by the 'not that many' faults and problems reported on the 2016+ cars.

We've been considering a Sportage in the family on and off for a couple of years now and always come back to it when reading up about other Automotive disasters makes and models - we want a crossover sized vehicle as we do regular long journeys with 4-up and also want that higher driving position favoured these days.

Anyway I've spotted a 2017 1.7 CRDi GT Line DCT auto 140?bhp with 2 wheel drive - I'm not fussed about wanting 4WD but believe only the 2.0 diesel has 4WD.

The car has been a company car and covered 105,000 miles - this doesn't normally bother me as it would have spent it's life pounding the motorways which is all good usage to me (rather that than 100k of door to door work).

My questions are:

What are other members opinions about the mileage?
I'm sure the engine is Cam-Chain - but anything to be aware of there?
I'd anticipate a fluid change on the gearbox asap.
Are the cars easy enough to maintain DIY? I do all my own serving and brakes etc.
Any common issues to jump on before they arise?

Many thanks for reading.
Where as the engine may be good for quite a bit more IMHO it is way over priced, you should be able to find something a quarter of that mileage for that money or find one with that mileage for 3k less, even if you have to juggle with the spec a tad there will be something to suit
I feel patience and doing some homework is in order to reap the benefits.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Not quite sure why you felt it necessary to argue this point since I had said I agreed with you that the warranty has expired, but since you did....
As 100,000 miles has passed the warranty is spent.

I have a 3y8m old Kia Sportage with 26,000 miles on the clock currently and it's still got 3y4m of warranty left to run on it, unless I hit 100k in that time.

Not quite sure what "3 years" has to do with anything. Its a 7 year warranty, not a 3 year warranty.

You once again seem to be creatively misunderstanding. If the car is less than 3 years old then reaching 100k miles does not expire the warranty. That is where the 3 years "Back again" mentions comes from - but a moot point in this case.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That is not correct.

The Kia UK warranty is in 2 parts. The first 3 years are unlimited miles but after 3 years the moment the mileage exceeds 100,000 the warranty ends.

We had a couple of Sportages at work that the engineers used which did in excess of 50,000 miles a year. It was company policy to change cars at 4 years or 150,000 miles and most cars (and vans) were sold before they were 3 years old because of the mileage they did. Whoever bought the Sportages most likely got a car with a warranty but it would be very short lived and if the garage was not totally honest (like most garages) and only saw the 7 years sticker in the rear window they were going to be very disapointed when they went to get work done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Two questions not answered by others:
The camshafts are chain driven.
Only DPF fitted, NO additives required.
This is not a common spec, only about 500, of which mine is one. Can't comment about long term reliability, mine has just had first MOT last week at 12602 miles. Fuel consumption since 19th March this year has been 6 months per tankful!!!!

Reactions: Indalo
1 - 20 of 20 Posts