Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The new shape Kia Sportage has been launched this morning. I'm not sure.
I prefer it to the previous versions but my other half is correct when she comments that all these SUVs look pretty much the same. If KIA has improved the dashboard area from that in the current and previous models, I might even be interested in one but only if there is a range of front passenger seat adjustments, particularly height.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the interior looks superb, although I wouldn't want the light coloured leather, side on and rear are fine. It is just that front I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
416 Posts
I prefer it to the previous versions but my other half is correct when she comments that all these SUVs look pretty much the same. If KIA has improved the dashboard area from that in the current and previous models, I might even be interested in one but only if there is a range of front passenger seat adjustments, particularly height.
Passenger seat in my GT Line S (2017) has height adjustment.

I quite like it. I just hope the centre armrest doesn't creek like the current model. Really does annoy me!
No creaking from my armrest - suggest you get that seen to under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
416 Posts
More generally I think this looks like "just another" SUV. The Mk3 & Mk4 Sportage stood out for their design cues and not being "just another SUV".

The Mk3 could have had Audi badges on it & nobody would have batted an eyelid.
The Mk4 could have Porsche badges on it & the same would follow.

The Mk5 - stick a Toyota or Nissan badge on that nose & would you question it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
More generally I think this looks like "just another" SUV. The Mk3 & Mk4 Sportage stood out for their design cues and not being "just another SUV".

The Mk3 could have had Audi badges on it & nobody would have batted an eyelid.
The Mk4 could have Porsche badges on it & the same would follow.

The Mk5 - stick a Toyota or Nissan badge on that nose & would you question it?
are you being serious?? o_O

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Passenger seat in my GT Line S (2017) has height adjustment.
Fine but there were numerous complaints in these pages some time ago from Sportage owners about the lack of height adjustment on the front passenger seat. I have no idea which models that omission relates to.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2017 specifications state "10-way Driver’s & 8-way Passenger’s Power Adjustable Seat (Sliding, Reclining, Height Adjustment)' and that is on the '4'.,'KX-4', 'KX-5', GT-Line S and GT-Line Edition. On the 2020 specifications is is on Platinum Edition, '4' and GT-Line S, then it changed when the MY21 models appeared and it is now on the '3', JBL Black Edition and GT-Line S.
What I don't get is it always skips the GT-Line!

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Get a lot of people saying they do not like the look of a bike on bike forums, but that bike has great handling etc... So do you sit & look at your bike or ride it? :eek: 🤦‍♂️ 😂

Once you are sat inside what it looks like makes no difference. main thing is what has improved over the old version

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a lot of people saying they do not like the look of a bike on bike forums, but that bike has great handling etc... So do you sit & look at your bike or ride it? :eek: 🤦‍♂️ 😂

Once you are sat inside what it looks like makes no difference. main thing is what has improved over the old version
I disagree, I have to like the look of the outside of the car as well as the inside

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
I have a 2016 GT-Line. Perhaps you have the updated/facelifted model and they may have sorted that issue on newer ones. It's quite common.
Checking the spec on the new Sportage.
10-way Driver's & 8-way Front Passenger's Power Adjustable Seat (Sliding, Reclining, Height Adjustment)
Only "3" "JBL version" & "GT-Line S
"2" & GT-Line does not.

Reactions: KIA Sportage 2 2016

·
Registered
71 Posts

While I get what you're saying and if you have any common sense, what you say is right, but unfortunately it's not what the owner thinks of the car's appearance, or how it handles for that matter, it's what other people think of the look. Ultimately the opinions of many tend to affect second-hand demand, which ultimately affects trade in price. And lets be honest, whether you regularly trade-in, or hang on for a while, at some point you're going to hope the car has held some of it's value for the next trade-in.

Many people care about how they themselves are perceived, and if by owning a "nice", popular looking car, they feel that reflects on them better (utter nonsense of course).

I liked the gen 3 Sportage (had two), I hate gen 4 variant, but now on my second. My first gen 4 was christened Princess Fiona (as in Shrek), for obvious reasons, but my sensible side
won through, price, spec, ride quality etc.

There's a reason no one buys brown cars... and why no manufacturer offers (flat) brown cars - they don't sell well, no matter how good the shape might look, or how well it drives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's a reason no one buys brown cars.
I bought a brown car, a 2021 Sorento PHEV 3. Looks good to me and that fact that you don't see many brown cars is a bonus for me.

I think the new Sportage looks good as well, so what do I know?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a brown car, a 2021 Sorento PHEV 3. Looks good to me and that fact that you don't see many brown cars is a bonus for me.

I think the new Sportage looks good as well, so what do I know?
I tried to "qualify" it with flat, as I know the Sportage and others come with a metallic brown, which wasn't quite what I was getting at. I'm thinking maybe 30+ years ago, but still a quick Google search will tell you that brown is not good for resale values.

Personally I like angular cars, Toyota's C-HR and RAV4 spring to mind. That said, does anyone see a resemblance to Kia's offering and the RAV4?

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
130 Posts

Modern bikes don't float my boat at all, I prefer 70's bikes (see the bikes thread on here) that look like a proper bike, even though the braking/handling etc. then wasn't as cutting edge as it is now. However they don't need spanking within an inch of their life to enjoy them either.
Regards the car, I bought my 2019 Sportage 4 last september and still love it. Towed a 5.8 metre RIB for about 90 miles yesterday and got just under 30mpg at refil on lpg. My mate, who owns the boat was really impressed with the car and is thinking of getting something similar when he retires and ditches the iPace. I'll reserve judgement on the new model until I've seen the interior, but mine will be mine for a few years yet.
Good job we're all different or there might be a lot of 'new' Mk 1 cortinas about!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Overall it's nicer than the new Tucson. However, I think I prefer the front on the Tucson but from every other angle the Sportage is nicer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts