Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just ordered myself a new Kia Rio 1.4 petrol in electric blue...coming on the 25th November!

Absolutely hyped!

Does anyone have the same spec as mine? If so, how are you finding it so far?

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi "acatt",Welcome to the forum.
I've got a 1.4 petrol Rio. Picked it up last week.
It's a lovely car to drive and I've got no complaints whatsoever. There have been a fewcomments in the motoring press saying that the engine is underpowered but I think it's fine if you use the beautifully smooth gearbox sensibly and don't take TOO much notice of the "gear-change indicator" on the dash.

You'll love it !!!
John.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We have a 1.4 petrol 3 in white. Its an awesome little car and they are very wellspecked, much better than the Note we chopped it in for it. I cant fault this car at all, we love it. What have you gone for1,2 or 3?

·
Registered
3 Posts
had our Kia Rio2 in blaze red great car to drive gear change very smooth had it just 2 weeks we exchanged it from the Rio Domino which we had for about 6 months. The new Rio2 looks more stylish and far more comfortable. Hope you enjoy your new car as much as we do. Chrisern

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Wipikia said:
It's a lovely car to drive and I've got no complaints whatsoever. There have been a fewcomments in the motoring press saying that the engine is underpowered but I think it's fine if you use the beautifully smooth gearbox sensibly and don't take TOO much notice of the "gear-change indicator" on the dash.

You'll love it !!!
John.
I think there's an option where you can set the change up speed to your own setting. Have a look at the manual.

·
Registered
225 Posts
M4trundler said:
Wipikia said:

You'll love it !!!
John.
I think there's an option where you can set the change up speed to your own setting. Have a look at the manual.
Not seen any mention of it in the handbook and to be honest there isn't really much point in changing the settings when you can just ignore them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picking mine up in just under 2 weeks now! I got the Kia Rio 3. To be honest, I thought there was no harm in spending a little bit extra for more luxury if that makes sense...

The only thing I wish that came with the Rio was a proper wheel. Supposedly, the boot is too small for a full-size wheel so I'm going to be looking for a space-saving wheel. Will have to do some negotiating with the dealer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congratulations! I purchased the Rio 1.4L Petrol '3' in Electric Blue, 3 weeks ago. Performance & handling are pretty reasonable, 6-speed gearbox is brilliant, and it is a quite, comfortable, roomy, relaxed ride that will suit all but boy-racers & motoring correspondents. The '3' spec is loaded with goodies and the build quality seems excellent (hence the 7 year warranty). Oh, and its good looks are further enhanced by its colour.

But hey, you can read all this stuff in the car revues online. Here's one or two minus points:
If your old grannie has to get out of the car, she might find it difficult, due to the low floor pan & seats. The rear visibility is lousy, thanks to the small rear window & thick side pillars (thank goodness for the reversing sensors). There is NO spare wheel or jack, just a compressor & can of gunk.

Don't let the above put you off, you have purchased a brilliant supermini and the it looks great in blue!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up my new Kia Rio yesterday afternoon, absolutely goooorgeous. Got a personalised registration place to make it that extra bit special too.. AB11 POW haha!

The 3 spec of the Kia Rio has a feature called Corner lights, which I find really useful actually, very impressed. The only thing I'm still unsure about is the reverse gear. It's very stiff to get into place, and makes a really dreafull crunching sound if you get it wrong...sounds like you've ran over something!

I'll keep you posted on how I find it as I progress with it, I'd be interested on hearing thoughts of what everyone else thinks of the car as well.

Cheers,

Abi

·
Registered
226 Posts
Glad you like your new purchase. There have been a few people complaining about the reverse gear on the Rio. Personally I don't have an issue with mine at all. You must remember that reverse gear is not on a syncromesh.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Glad to see that Kia have got another satisfied Rio customer. Idon't have a problem selecting reverse on mine, in fact it's smoother than many of the other cars I have owned over the years. Sorry to sound patronising but are you lifting the lever underneath the gearknob fully before selecting reverse?

John.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad you like the car. As for the reverse gear - all cars are more difficult to put in reverse due to the lack of syncro on this gear. I always change into reverse slower and steadier than any forward gear and have no problems what-so-ever. I have noticed one problem; my new Rio gets dirty, just like all the other cars that I've owned. Guess I'll have to give it a wash... sigh!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm not convinced about this synchromesh argument. On my 1.5 CRDi Rio the reverse gear goes in smoother than any of the others. To me it sounds like poor clutch adjustment on some of the new Rios.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts