Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this up today. A 12 month old GT S.

I'm coming from a Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, so not comparable to this (Super Saloon to Grand Tourer) but other priorities necessitated a look at my automotive spending. I'll absolutely look to get back into a Giulia Quadrifoglio in a couple of years but I must say, after (admittedly only a hundred miles) I can see why the Stinger gets such rave reviews and what all the fuss is about; enough grunt when you need it, nice and relaxed when you want it and a head turner to boot. A bit like the Alfa they are quite a rare sight on the roads and certainly a bit left-field - a welcome change from the by-the-numbers German clones. Unlike the Alfa (I hope) the dealer network seems better and the warranty is an added bonus. I do miss the raucous V6 of the Alfa though already so may need to do something about the exhaust - will do a few more miles and see if it grows on me.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You're right what you've said - if you want something which still has something a bit special about it, there's nothing else out there as good, for the kind of money the Stinger goes for. Hope you enjoy it for the next few years. The Alfa is a superb car, you must miss it, but hopefully the Kia will do the job for now :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was thinking about an Alfa Giulia QF as my next car, or another Stinger.
I'd be very interested as your thoughts on both cars.
Completely different machines. Very much hard to compare. The positives which struck me about the Stinger was just how smooth power delivery is and how capable it is as a Grand Tourer; what it's marketed to be I suppose. That and all the tech Kia chuck at it - bang for buck it's fantastic. To follow, and not really negatives if I'm honest, just observations, were the heavier driving feel, the lack of any real exhaust noise (not counting the pumped in fake noise- who does like that stuff?) and its sheer weight but suspect that's really only as I've just come from the Giulia - much lighter and class leading driving dynamics.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is more visceral, more direct, more of a handful. It can be a cruiser and quiet when you want it to be but, unless you're doing long motorway runs, you'll always have it on its toes as it rewards you so much, mainly down to it's spot on handling and sensational chassis. It's easily the best super saloon, better than the M3s etc of this world imo. It deserves its 4 door Ferrari moniker. It's not all rosy though, at least not in my experience. Interior build quality is a little sub par for a £70k motor - not bad or a deal breaker by any means but I had a few annoying rattles (that's not to say any car is rattle free, but these weren't ever really remedied). The tech is ok, not the worse or the best but not a patch on the Stinger (not that tech alone ever sells the car to me). The Alfa dealer network is by far the worse I've come across, so much so I travelled 5 hours round trip to one of the only really good ones. Fine for the initial purchase and even for an annual service but I had bits I needed sorting under warranty and it was too inconvenient to travel each time. Those negatives aside I'd definitely look to get back in one in the future if I can.

However, a week into owning the Stinger, using it every day, I don't think I've made a mistake in picking it - a bit of a left field choice, like the Giulia, still a head turner, still a V6, a great cruiser with enough poke when you need it.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.