Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my EV6 GT-line S AWD with Heat Pump in Runway Red today. Hoping for a mid/end April delivery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a drive in my mates, loved it! Forgive my ignorance, what’s a heat pump?
Hyundai and Kia's heat pump maximizes the distance that Hyundai and Kia EVs can travel on a single charge, scavenging waste heat to warm the cabin. Distance is increased because you are not using the cars main battery to heat the car (obviously mostly in winter time). However it is a £900 option (except for the high performance GT model coming out later where it’s standard).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lovely choice. Every review I have read/watched of the EV6 in universally positive and for me it looks like the right blend of size/space. If I didn't need 7 seats I would have one straight away (less time for chip shortage/global pandemic/supply issues!). mY wife's ID3 is an awesome car which is why I changed to a PHEV Sorento - I love the leectric drive.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
582 Posts
Looks like you’ve been a forum member for about a month.
don’t forget to monitor the recent ev6 posts about heater issues and satnav self update.
The heat pump is a good choice.

Reactions: BillyC

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-LINE S AWD
56 Posts
Had a drive in my mates, loved it! Forgive my ignorance, what’s a heat pump?
In cold weather, the range of an electric car will reduce.

Kia's heat pump will recover up to 19% of the reduction in range.

Therefore, if you have a heat pump and your range is reduced by 40 miles due to cold weather, the heat pump will recover up to 7.6 miles of range.

It therefore becomes an option which should be carefully considered here in the UK because for most of the year, the heat pump will add nothing.

Economically, it doesn't easily stack up in the UK, but if your driving\ charging habits make that extra range in cold weather matter, you may value the £900 investment that way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I decided the £900 heatpump option wasn't worth having for driving mostly in the West Midlands. And recent figures posted on the SpeakEV forum obtained using a vehicle diagnostics app giving a breakdown on energy use suggest the heating load on a non-heatpump EV6 is relatively low, at least when the ambient temperature is close to/just above zero. Admittedly this could well be different if we get a significant sub-zero Arctic blast but I'd be offsetting that with extended preheating while still on the home charger.

Reactions: ColinD and arnsbrae
1 - 9 of 9 Posts