Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just changed the engine in my 2000 Kia Sedona 2.9TDi for a second hand one. The engine turns over nicely but it will not fire. We removed the nuts that connect the fuel pipes to the injectors - When the engine is turning over, fuel comes out of the pipes. We also tried spraying "Easy Start" into the inlet of the intercooler and the engine fired up and ran for a few seconds and then petered out.

We thought we had fitted the timing belt so that all the markings were correct.

Any ideas? Could it be anything other than the timing belt being put on wrongly?

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are either of you absolutely certain about the fuel pump being coded to the ECU because I have been told by Kia that this is not the case, but I do not have 100% confidence in them?

If it is coded are you saying that it is coded to the immobiliser or to the EMS or both?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some more information:

We have disconnected one of the fuel pipes from the injector and connected it to an injector from the old engine, so that we can see if it sprays. At one stage we did see it repeatedly spraying. We then disconnected the electrical connection to the immobilier unit on the fuel pump, to see if that would stop the spraying. It did but once we had reconnected it, it would no longer spray as before. If we bleed the fuel pipe so that we have fuel to the top of the injector then we turn the engine over and get one large spray and no more. Now, we can't get it to spray at all, but we are still getting a pulsating supply of fuel to the top of the injectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does the immobiliser do? We are getting fuel to the top of the injectors. Doesn't that mean that it is not the immobiliser? Or does the immobiliser work differently.

·
Registered
192 Posts
disconect the immobiliser altogether and see how that is, on my musso the immo works by vacum a slight leak and theres no chance it will start ,[or the immob might need coded back to the ecu ive not had any probs with the sedona so graspin at straws abit bud ].good luck mate .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We disconnected all the electrical connections and a vacuum connection from the pump. It made no difference. Fuel kept pumping (pulsating)to the top of the injectors.

·
Registered
702 Posts
corcaighbhoy said:
disconect the immobiliser altogether and see how that is, on my musso the immo works by vacum a slight leak and theres no chance it will start ,[or the immob might need coded back to the ecu ive not had any probs with the sedona so graspin at straws abit bud ].good luck mate .
Its not that easy to just disconect the immobiliser on the Sedona It is tied into every bloody thing. Having changed pumps on this model and never having to have either changed/or recoded the imobilizer I am highly doubtful this is the case here on what is a MK1 Sedona. Now it maybe different on the MK2 Sedona with the CRDI diesel system. I've got a supplement to the manual and it doesn't say any thing in the immobilizer section(such as it ) about it affecting the the diesel pump. I would assume that the immobilizer having got the right replys from the key and the ecu fires a connection to the pump. Anybody know anymore ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, the fuel pump turned out to be coded. The plastic covered unit on the pump was an immobiliser unit that needed to be matched to the immobiliser or ECU (who knows hwo things are tied together). I have no idea why fuel was getting through to the top of the injectors before we got this sorted out.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi, just for future reference and to clear it up are you saying you took the imobaliser unit from your old pump and put it on your new one? therefore matching old systems? regards stanman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I was saying that we removed the immobilier unit from the old pump and connected the wires accordingly. I can't remember how we wired it up now but I do remember that we found out which wire altered from 0V to 12V (or vice versa) when the ignition turned on, and I think this was the wire that was then connected to the solenoid. I think there were perhaps two other wires but I think that their job would have been to power the electronics in the immobiliser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts