·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report on my new Picanto 1 after first 1000m:

Pro:
Drives nicely and comfortable.
Feels solid enough on the road.
Got 3 seat belts in the back and space in the car is good for such a small car.

Con:
Max mpg 49 so far. This MUST improve by 11mpg at least otherwise its a dodo.
Difficulty in starting. Randomly decides not to start, can be embarrassing for a new car!

I must confess to being in something of a cold sweat on this car as so far the low mpg and the bad starting are fairly serious issues for me! I was hoping for loads of people with happy stories of the mpg's just continually improving as they piled on the miles - come on guys!

Cheers
Willbo.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Wilbo. Do you use Sheel Fuelsave 95 RON by any chance? There's a thread about cold starting issues, and it seems people had Fuelsave in common. Other than that, I can only think that manufacturers are setting up the fuel mixtures very lean, to pass emissions tests and get into lower CO2 categories, that the mixture is a bit lean for cold starts, even if the ECU richens it up a bit for the first few minutes. Do you cold start with zero throttle, or prod the pedal a bit?
I've posted elsewhere about my mpg, which is 59.4, though I'm having a bit more fun this tank, so it will be lower. Your figure of 49 sounds low for a small, light car like this....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm agreeing with everything you say below.

MPG is rubbish, considering they advertise it as

<TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 10.5pt; mso-cellspacing: 0cm; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 102.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=137>
Variant<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 82.5pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=110>
Power ""“ bhp</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 90pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=120>
Torque ""“ lb/ft</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 36pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=48>
CO2</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 54pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=72>
Combined mpg</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 54pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" vAlign=top width=72>
Price
(OTR)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 102.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=137>
1.0 '1""²</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 82.5pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=110>
68 @ 6,200 rpm</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 90pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=120>
70 @ 3,500 rpm</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 36pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=48>
99</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; : transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; WIDTH: 54pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm" width=72>
67.3</TD>
£7,795</TD></TR>
<TR>
1.0 '1 Air'</TD>
68 @ 6,200 rpm</TD>
70 @ 3,500 rpm</TD>
99</TD>
67.3</TD>
£8,395</TD></TR>
<TR>
1.25 ""˜Halo' EcoDynamics</TD>
84 @ 6,000 rpm</TD>
89 @ 4,000 rpm</TD>
100</TD>
65.7</TD>
£11,695</TD></TR>
<TR>
1.25 ""˜Halo' Auto</TD>
84 @ 6,000 rpm</TD>
89 @ 4,000 rpm</TD>
125</TD>
53.3</TD>
£12,295</TD></TR>
<TR>
1.25 Equinox</TD>
84 @ 6,000 rpm</TD>
89 @ 4,000 rpm</TD>
109</TD>
60.1</TD>
£11,695</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Have you raised this with your dealer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all feedback..

Personally, I am just hoping against hope that after running in I might get say 55mpg. It won't be what I expected but at least it would be something.

I would ALWAYS expect to get less than the makers figures but not 18mpg less! Especially when driven with great care. I'm a boring old fart and do all the things you have to do to do good mpgs.

The whole thing is becoming a bit of a nightmare!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would have thought 55-60 mpg is about right,as this is 10-15% above the urban figure, i have always achieved 10-20% above the urban figure with all our previous cars,petrol & diesel.
The way they are tested by manufactures is no way near reality,the only time i have got close to the combined figure is on steady long motorway/B road runs.

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Go have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uk and click on "Real mpg"These figures are from drivers inputting their actual consumption as against the artificial figures used by manufacturers. These are only good for comparing different makes since the testing method is the same for every manufacturer who sells in the UK.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Any new car i ever buy i always knock 20% off manufacturers figures and that usually is not far out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car Picanto 1 doing 40 mpg. Only done 1000 miles but hopefully will improve in time. My car also has trouble starting (on cold mornings), been in to dealership and couldnt find nothing wrong with it. I suspect they just started it up though. Seems to be a common fault, not good for a new car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am mainly comparing to the Aygo of which I got 55mpg with out trying at all and managed 65+ on the mway. I could average 58mpg on my work run - at present I am managing about 46...
Bring 'em on I say!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone out there have a new Picanto 1 with at least 3k on the clock and who checks the mpg?

I'm eager to know if it improves as I am getting more and more depressed about the issue.

I know its winter, I know you don't get the makers figures etc - I always take these factors into consideration but it is still WAY lower than it should be. If its going to be doing in the region of 43-49mpg then I will have to trade it in for something else as this will be costing £305 more per year on a 15k yearly mileage.

Look forward to hearing from those with the figures further down the line...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Willbo,
My new 3 door 1.0 Air has 4400 on the odometer and I get 58.4 mpg without trying very hard. That's on winter tyres in cold weather. I'm guessing it'll get slightly better in warmer weather and on summer tyres.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For me it's always been better than the figure you're getting from new, but it felt like it had loosened up by about 3500 miles. By that I mean the engine felt more eager to pull, and ran more smoothly, plus the fuel consumption gradually improved by 6-8 mpg from new till now. I do drive smoothly and conserve momentum, avoid braking uneccesarily, etc. so my figure may be slightly unrepresentative.
In the Summer I am going to do a long run on Summer tyres using some more definite eco-driving techniques, and see if I can match the factoy figure of 67.3 mpg just once. Best so far is 62 mpg in cold, rainy, windy weather, with some steep climbs in 2nd and 3rd gear, soft compound Winter tyres with energy sapping block tread patterns with sipes (cuts) in the treads, 2300 miles on the odo at that point, etc.
Hope it gets better for you. It must be annoying

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, thanks for all the extra info.I'm doing a very careful run on this tankful so will report on what I get. I'm doing every last thing you can do to conserve fuel. I keep a full tank by tank spreadsheet on the mpg's..
Thanks for all your comments.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yesterday I borrowed a Picanto while I was having my Rio serviced. At a steady 70 mph, the trip computer was giving about 47 mpg. The best I got was about 60mpg, by following closely behind a lorry at a constant 55 mph. It had covered about 4 to 5 k miles. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have put a deposit down on a new Kia Picanto Hatchback 1.25 Halo EcoDynamics 5dr partly because I was impressed with the published fuel consumption data. Although I know that the data on claimed consumption is to be taken with a pinch of salt, I am concerned that owners are reporting a huge discrepancy - 65.7mpg combined is claimed, but some people are suggesting that true consumption is in the 40's. I know that this all depends on driving style, urban vs rural use, motorways etc but such a discrepancy is quite concerning.
Does anyone have any comments and what comeback does one have if mpg average is far lower than published?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would reckon you have NO comeback if you cant get near the published mpg figs. If you could the car manufacturers would be put out business with the number of claims.
I do think that manufacturers should conduct the tests for mpg in the real world instead of relying on a body doing it in laboratory conditions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts