Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing to bring to your attention the complete dissatisfaction experienced this week as an owner of a brand new 7 month old Sportage<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">We purchased the diesel model 1.7crdi3 5dr in Aug 2011
<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">We chose the Sportage not only for its striking looks but as a practical family car which my wife uses Mon-Fri<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">The car up until 4 weeks ago was running smoothly and we have had only very good things to say and have recommended the car to our friends and family
<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">Last week I booked the car into the Tower Hill Garage for inspection for the following issues<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">1. Going into 1st gear was very harsh<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">2. Parking light on the dash board was showing as a warning light constantly<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">3. The stop start was not working at all after working perfectly up until now<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">4. Bluetooth was not pairing with my wife's blackberry bold<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">The car inspection was scheduled in for 9th March
<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">However on the morning of Wed 7th March, on her way to dropping our 2 year old son to nursery my pregnant wife phoned me to say that the clutch was not working<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">She was very distressed but had somehow managed to pull the car into a safe spot away from the busy traffic.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">Kia Assist Breakdown were immediately contacted and an RAC van was on the scene within 20 mins<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">His assessment was that the clutch hydraulics was not working due to a suspected leak.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">The car has done little over 4000 miles in just 7 months.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">She had to wait for a further 2.5hrs before the tow truck arrived to take the car to Tower Hill Garage.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">The service manager whose name is Glenn at the garage informed us that a rubber seal had worn away causing the clutch failure.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">He told us that this was extremely unusual and that this was the first time it had happened.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">We purchased this car in good faith to use as our family transport and the experience that my wife had to endure this week is totally unacceptable<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px; ">

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Your problem with selecting 1st gear is more than likely related to the clutch problem.
I guess occasionally these things happen.

I don't know how the stop start works, but I could well imagin that it''s somehow connected to the parking brake. A malfunction on the parking brake switch could then no doubt throw a spanner in the stop start.

As for Bluetooth, I'm not sure you can blame Kia for this.

My friend struggled to get his Blackberry to pair with his £120,000 Range Rover.

I'm sure your faith will be resumed once these few little issues are resolved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd say you had 2 issues and a bug with Bluetooth that that in reality is not really a KIA issue.
I would agree to both of the issues being annoying and you should justifiably complain to KIA, but the reality of life is that bad stuff happens.
As long as KIA do fix it and make sure that it is sorted perminantely, then I would suggest you just have to put it down to experience.

On the Bluetooth front, whilst the garage has the car, make sure that they upgrade the software to the latest release. I have a Bold 9900 and until this software install had all sorts of problems with connecting via Bluetooth. Since the upgrade, no issues.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My wifes Blackberry Bold wouldnt sync to the passat we had, the pro_ceed we have now, or any of the bluetooth devices i have in my fleet off vans up untill the software upgrade on her phone. 2.5hr hour wait for something you would have had to pay out of your own pocket if it wasnt for kia's breakdown service is hardly cause for complaint although i understand your frustration.Kia have no control over 3rd part repair/recovery services.
In all fairness if the parking light on the dash board was showing as a warning light constantly, i wouldn't have let her drive it. No matter how desperate it was. If kia repair the problem then hats off to them. Driving the car, knowing it had faults,has no doubt caused the clutch failure soonerand probably more unseen damage.

I hope you get sorted asap, but all of what you've described could happen to any car. <br style='line-height: 15px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, "Nimbus Sans L", sans-serif; font-size: 13px;'>

·
Registered
145 Posts
jemnetley said:
stop/start wont work if aircon is on or if its too cold outside
Mine works with the aircon on as long as the engine has warmed up.
Edited by: MaybeKIA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I admire most of you sticking up for Kia

In fairness I informed Kia Garage of the problems and they did not advise that the car should not be driven so I doubt very much that driving the car had only made matters worse.

In fact they have since informed me that the parking light had nothing to do with the clutch failure

I think most of you are missing the point - the Bluetooth, parking light and stop start wereirritationsrather than anything of real concern, the clutchfailureof a 7 month car is the real problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree you don't expect it to happen to a 7 month old car but very occasionally these things happen no matter what make/model you drive.

Just out of interest - why wasn't it towed to the garage instead of going on the low loader? Was it because it couldn't go into neutral fue to failed clutch?

Hope you get it all sorted ok

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes got BB bold and giving up trying to sync, Wifes Nokia works fine.

Have to say so far experience of post sales warrant type stuff has been good, had a severe (but still able to drive short distances) suspension failure a few weeks back, anyway car in 3 hours later, all fixed, under warranty, I guess mechanical failures occur, it's just a bummer when its yours I guess.

2.0L AWD 1st Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts