Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at the spec for the new Hyundai Tucson just released for the UK market and couldn't see any option for a Diesel engine.
Is this a configuration that will be carried over to the new Sportage models planned for release later this year.
Personally I would hate for a Diesel engine option to be removed from the range.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
I fear that cars with diesel engines will be few and far between. I would also guess that petrol engined cars will also start to disappear as electric vehicles become the norm. That's why I changed last year and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just looking at the spec for the new Hyundai Tucson just released for the UK market and couldn't see any option for a Diesel engine.
Is this a configuration that will be carried over to the new Sportage models planned for release later this year.
Personally I would hate for a Diesel engine option to be removed from the range.
I can't answer that question, but I can say that the very reason I bought a Sportage this year was because I couldn't upgrade my last car. No diesel option, no AWD option, just a tiny petrol engine pumping out a ridiculous amount of power. So, it seems that some manufacturers have already fallen out of love with oil burners even though many customers still want them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I would hate for a Diesel engine option to be removed from the range.
Ditto that! I'm a huge fan of Diesel engines and have owned nothing but diesel cars since the early 90s. I get to drive other cars occasionally and whenever I hire one if I don't drive my own car to Spain, the rentals are invariably petrol-powered.

Sadly, if I decide I want a change of car any time soon, I guess it will need to be electric. If I decide to stay with ic engines, whether diesel or petrol, I expect the know-nothing politicians will tax the hell out of those who resist the almost-compulsory transition to personal transport running on batteries.

At my age, I can't even be sure if I'll be allowed to continue driving, being required to re-apply to retain my licence every 3 years and my health isn't getting any better. Meanwhile, some of the biggest polluters on the planet, ships, will continue to consume huge amounts of diesel fuel for the foreseeable future. Planes too still use liquid fuel as do the artics that criss-cross not only Europe's roads but also those of the other continents and that isn't going to change any time soon. Nearly all plant equipment runs on diesel as do most buses and a lot of trains.

One can be sure that private motorists will bear the bulk of the cost of the move towards electric transport but maybe that's a good thing?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Not really relevant to what the 2021 (22MY in some places) may have but MY wishlist would include:
Integrated headlights as new Tucson, looks impressive;
integrated dashcam in rear view mirror housing, and rear view dashcam in wiper housing (which could be located under the rear spoiler for sleeker look;
Full LED lighting all round and interior;
scrolling indicators;
Electric range close to genuine 400 miles;
500 cubic ft boot space;
full sized spare;
adjustable height front passenger seat;
how about cameras as side mirrors, nice sleek housing?
3 separate equal sized rear seats (Citroen manage it);
voice activated controls;

Surely some might be available in a revised model? :)

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
I really have no idea why anyone thinks cameras for wing mirrors is a good idea.
Has anyone actually been in a car that has them? I have, and I think they are dangerous.
With a mirror, if you want to adjust your viewing angle, you move your head. With a camera, it's either not possible, or you have to start playing with electronic gadgets to do it.
Fine if you're sitting in a car parking space and you want to adjust your view.
Totally dangerous if you need to do it in a on a motorway at 70mph because someone drifts over a lane and you have a split second to make a decision about how to make an evasive manoeuvre.
Field of vision on a screen from a camera is never anything like a piece of glass and an infinitely adjustable human eye/head combo.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
I've never been in a car with a camera replacing review mirrors, but I have reservations with the idea. As @137699 points out there is the angle of view issue, but also the image would have to be really high quality. I am yet to see a reversing camera that fits this bill, most are at best adequate. And in any case where would I hang my towing mirrors.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
116 Posts
Not really relevant to what the 2021 (22MY in some places) may have but MY wishlist would include:
Integrated headlights as new Tucson, looks impressive;
integrated dashcam in rear view mirror housing, and rear view dashcam in wiper housing (which could be located under the rear spoiler for sleeker look;
Full LED lighting all round and interior;
scrolling indicators;
Electric range close to genuine 400 miles;
500 cubic ft boot space;
full sized spare;
adjustable height front passenger seat;
how about cameras as side mirrors, nice sleek housing?
3 separate equal sized rear seats (Citroen manage it);
voice activated controls;

Surely some might be available in a revised model? :)
With that wishlist you are a really good candidate for a Tesla S . . . . . if you have £140k spare;)🤭

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't answer that question, but I can say that the very reason I bought a Sportage this year was because I couldn't upgrade my last car. No diesel option, no AWD option, just a tiny petrol engine pumping out a ridiculous amount of power. So, it seems that some manufacturers have already fallen out of love with oil burners even though many customers still want them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm a diesel man through and through and I have owned diesels since the late 70's and as you I can't see me altering to any 3 pints in a pint pot petrol engine and probably like others age will be my ruler.
IMHO EV's which are far from being as green as many think will take the top seat, this will be forced on by political will and the usual minority brigade at least until hopefully the fuel cell industry gets it's act together.
Where are people going to plug in that have no off road parking, how many queues to get plugged in to a charging point, one car in front is twenty minutes and the cons just go on . . . like me!!
For me the 500 mile range has to be accomplished, this will also come but I fear quite some time and at what cost.
Apologies for the rant but removing diesels from the range is unnecessary and a cowardly act from the manufactures.
Long live diesels!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have just read New 2021 Kia Sportage SUV to get radical look in the Auto Express that the Tucson is getting a diesel version.
"Should the next Sportage make use of the Tucson’s full engine line-up, a choice of front- and four-wheel drive will be available. Electrification will feature heavily through the range, too; the Hyundai’s line-up kicks off with petrol and diesel engines that include a 48-volt mild-hybrid set-up".

So with hope the diesel will remain in the range but only in the mild hybrid set up in which I would say as a manufacturer Kia are very confident on it's reliability and longevity.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
137699 Prepared to understand your view as you've actually been in a car with them, but no doubt you've also been in a car with a reversing camera?
A tiny lens in the centre of the boot gives almost 180 degree vision with sufficient clarity to see objects close to you.
In any event, I also look about, not just the mirrors, as when travelling abroad it needs a second eyeball check to ensure no one is suddenly changing lane on either quarter, as frequently happens in Paris and other large cities.
It's just on EV cars, the reduction in drag may be important.
Accept that towing mirrors on tiny stalks will be an issue :)

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm quite keen on the idea of wing mirrors being replaced by cameras with a screen inside. I'm a motorcyclist and regularly commute into central London from Kent through long, long lines of queuing traffic. At certain points on the journey you can easily pick your way through 1.5 - 2 miles of continuous queues of cars - Blackwall Tunnel approach being the main one. Mirrors are the widest point of the car and coincide, heightwise, with the widest point of a motorcycle - the handlebars. Having mirrors replaced with cameras will effectively make the gap between lines of cars a more than a foot wider than it is at present.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Read a first drive article about the Hyundai this week and it confirmed no Diesels, Cannot see the new Sportage bucking the trend away from diesel.
Another doubting Thomas, if the Auto Express isn't enough let's try Carwow

2021 Hyundai Tucson revealed: price, specs and release date

New 2021 Hyundai Tucson engines and hybrids
The new Hyundai Tucson will come with a range of petrol, diesel and hybrid engines. The range kicks off with a 150hp 1.6-litre petrol engine that comes with a six-speed manual gearbox as standard and is available with either front- or four-wheel drive. There’s also a 115hp 1.6-litre diesel engine with the same manual gearbox but it’s only offered with front-wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Another doubting Thomas, if the Auto Express isn't enough let's try Carwow
Must have been AutoCar I was reading.

"Four powertrains are available initially, each based around the brand's 1.6-litre Smartstream turbocharged petrol engine: a 148bhp entry-level option with or without 48V mild-hybrid functionality, a more potent 178bhp mild hybrid and a full hybrid with 227bhp."

Clearly no mention of diesel there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Must have been AutoCar I was reading.

"Four powertrains are available initially, each based around the brand's 1.6-litre Smartstream turbocharged petrol engine: a 148bhp entry-level option with or without 48V mild-hybrid functionality, a more potent 178bhp mild hybrid and a full hybrid with 227bhp."

Clearly no mention of diesel there.
You may very well be right. If so I apologise and stand corrected for myself and on behalf of the motoring press I quoted..

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
To save you keep swinging handbags at each other :) is it possible you are BOTH right, except one is looking at the 2020 Tucson and the other at the "All new Tucson".

The All new Tucson brochure is downloadable and states " The all-new Tucson is available with an extensive range of powertrains, including the electrified 48V Mild Hybrid, Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid* variants, as well as the latest 1.6TGDI petrol." No mention of diesel.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
To save you keep swinging handbags at each other :) is it possible you are BOTH right, except one is looking at the 2020 Tucson and the other at the "All new Tucson".

The All new Tucson brochure is downloadable and states " The all-new Tucson is available with an extensive range of powertrains, including the electrified 48V Mild Hybrid, Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid* variants, as well as the latest 1.6TGDI petrol." No mention of diesel.....
Are you trying to cause a battle Mr Battle? There's no handbags being drawn here and my links have been very clear that it's definitely the All New Tucson 2021.
I've put my hands up if I'm wrong and frankly either way I don't give a damn because I won't be buying a Hyundai . . . end of please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.