Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the new Sportage requires a new type of tow bar due to a part related to diesel cleaning being sited where the fittings used to go.

We ordered a new 2.0 PHEV GT Line last week and are swapping our Sorento. I checked on the Caravan Club website matching service against our Swift Eccles 560 and it gives the following:
Kerb Weight 92%
Towing Limit 82%
GTW 92%
BHP per ton 52

The conclusion is that the car is a good match for towing our caravan.

All was going well until our dealer spotted that the tow hitch would not be able to be fitted due to the parts around the underside of the floor area to do with the electrical and diesel unit.

We thought that this would mean we would have to go for the back up of the petrol 1.6 T-GDi which we prefer less as the kerb weight is 96% and the GTW is 99%, still legal but getting close to limits.

The dealer spoke to the people at KIA HQ and they advised that the new tow bars will be arriving in 2 weeks time, apparently all of the diesel cars need a different tow bar on the new version Sportage.

Hopefully the dealership will be able to fit the new type of bar and electrics and we will get our new car....if not we will re think
David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, just read your post re towbars for the New Sportage, I'm about to take delivery of a New Sportage Gt line 174 bhp petrol. The problem I'm having is all the towbar companies seem to think there isn't a towbar available yet but I think this could be the problem as the diesel cars are fitted with the ad blue system which involves a tank under the car I presume and that's the problem wheras the petrol models don't use this system but I can't get a definitive answer from my dealer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tow bar

Hi, just read your post re towbars for the New Sportage, I'm about to take delivery of a New Sportage Gt line 174 bhp petrol. The problem I'm having is all the towbar companies seem to think there isn't a towbar available yet but I think this could be the problem as the diesel cars are fitted with the ad blue system which involves a tank under the car I presume and that's the problem wheras the petrol models don't use this system but I can't get a definitive answer from my dealer.
Sorry for late reply, only just back from holiday.
As I understand, for the petrol version there is no change from the current towbar
The diesel tow bar is readily available in both fixed and detachable form.
Fits nicely with no cut out.
Ours was done by our dealer in September when we took delivery
David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for late reply, only just back from holiday.
As I understand, for the petrol version there is no change from the current towbar
The diesel tow bar is readily available in both fixed and detachable form.
Fits nicely with no cut out.
Ours was done by our dealer in September when we took delivery
David
thanks for the reply, does your car use the ad blue system? as i see it is a Diesel. im still awaiting some info from a couple of towbar companies but i do believe as you say that as my car is petrol the towbar for the previous models should still fit my car.
cheers les

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply, does your car use the ad blue system? as i see it is a Diesel. im still awaiting some info from a couple of towbar companies but i do believe as you say that as my car is petrol the towbar for the previous models should still fit my car.
cheers les
Yes it does use ad blue, there is a filler opening to the side of the diesel filler cap. I believe it lasts for 10k or so which means it will be filled up each service for me as we tend to only do around 10k per year
David

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 68 plate Sportage 1.7crdi (not ad blue) and looking to fit a towbar, asked Kia about any warranty implications, but had no reply as yet.
Does the tow bar have to manufactured by Kia? Do Kia make a detachable version? Does it have to be fitted by Kia?
Do the electrics have to be genuine Kia? Are any modifications / updates (electronically) need to be carried out?
I am more than capable of fitting one myself, so if anyone has suggestions, I would be very grateful,

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It does not matter which make of towbar as all have to fix to the manufacturers fixings.To cover yourself for any warranty, use dedicated wiring harness as these just plug in.Does not have to be fitted by Kia

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all picking up my 2016 1.7crdi Thursday and I will be needing a towbar. Personally would like the detachable version so car looks cleaner when hitch not in use, any idea on preference for brand as they range from £140-400 and direct fitting loom depending on which towbar you buy.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
697 Posts
To be honest any of the main tow bar providers, Witter, Bosel, Tow Trust etc., will be fine, although I would recommend getting the dedicated tow bar harness fitted. My 2017 Sportage has a Bosel detachable and I was impressed by how it operated, it felt really secure. Current car has a Tow Trust, although current events have prevented me using it properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts