Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Hi Antrim_Man,

Haven't had this done, but I have been considering it.
Will this invalidate the warranty though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baz53 said:
Hi Antrim_Man,

Haven't had this done, but I have been considering it.
Will this invalidate the warranty though?
From http://www.auto-tune.co.uk/faqs-ie.html

<h1 align="justify">How will it affect my warranty?</h1>
<h4 align="justify"></h4>
<h4 align="justify">Your car dealer cannot determine a software
modification with his diagnostic equipment. Since we modify the original
program from each car, all engine characteristics and VIN numbers stay the
same leaving the modifications undetectable.
</h4>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Sounds fairly definitive.What improvements are they quoting and how much do they charge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
The thing you would have to watch out for is if you get it serviced at a Kia dealer.
If there is an upgrade for the ECU then then the remap will be erased.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
velcrohead said:
The thing you would have to watch out for is if you get it serviced at a Kia dealer.
If there is an upgrade for the ECU then then the remap will be erased.
Once you pay autotune for the remap they restore it at no extra charge. I assume others would be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Recommend you check other sites, plenty of comments from owners on the continent that have had DPF problems after a remap, many have had to revert to the original map or remove thetuning box. I will always say if the car isn't quick enoughyou should have bought a quicker one in the first place. Surely its crazy risking the 7 year warranty, I am certain that dealers kit will detect changes.


Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
suttonseven said:
Recommend you check other sites, plenty of comments from owners on the continent that have had DPF problems after a remap, many have had to revert to the original map or remove thetuning box. I will always say if the car isn't quick enoughyou should have bought a quicker one in the first place. Surely its crazy risking the 7 year warranty, I am certain that dealers kit will detect changes.


Paul
I remapped a previous Mondeo ST TDCi I owned from 150bhp to 180+BHP and the performance and fuel economy improved greatly. The remap back in 2006 cost £250 and it paid for itself in fuel savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
<H1 align=justify></H1>
<H1 align=justify></H1>
<H1 align=justify>How will it affect my warranty?</H1>
<H4 align=justify></H4>
<H4 align=justify>Your car dealer cannot determine a software modification with his diagnostic equipment. Since we modify the original program from each car, all engine characteristics and VIN numbers stay the same leaving the modifications undetectable.</H4>
wrong when we view the car on live data it shows all the ecu peramiters along with air flow rates injection times and pressures so when you car comes in with out any issues we look at the live data and PING Oh sh*t look at thease faulty readings because they are all outside the vehicle Spec



and thats the end of your 7 year warranty on the engine gearbox and axels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Viking Paul said:
<h1 align="justify"></h1>
<h1 align="justify"></h1>
<h1 align="justify">How will it affect my warranty?</h1>
<h4 align="justify"></h4>
<h4 align="justify">Your car dealer cannot determine a software modification with his diagnostic equipment. Since we modify the original program from each car, all engine characteristics and VIN numbers stay the same leaving the modifications undetectable.</h4>
wrong when we view the car on live data it shows all the ecu peramiters along with air flow rates injection times and pressures so when you car comes in with out any issues we look at the live data and PING Oh sh*t look at thease faulty readings because they are all outside the vehicle Spec



and thats the end of your 7 year warranty on the engine gearbox and axels
Well the Mondeo I remapped is now 5 years modified without a fault. I hope the Kia's are as robust over time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Honest John wrong??

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-sportage-2010



"Cute
and chunky" are probably the best words to describe KIA's new Sportage
SUV, a direct alternative to Nissan's hugely popular Qashqai.


Underneath, it's exactly the same as the Hyundai ix35, and cars
for the UK are even built on the same production line at KIA's factory
in Slovakia.


We weren't in Slovakia, though. We were in Korea, testing the
car at Hyundai/KIA's Namyang R&D centre because, despite the fact
that the new Sportage is on the road in Korea, our main reason for being
there was to visit the R&D centre.


To drive, it's very similar to the Hyundai ix35, which is no
big surprise. Not that I cold tell very much driving up and down a
runway talking to camera trying to get a video made in the five minutes
total I had with the car.


It comes on 16", 17" or 18" bling wheels with progressively
less rubber between the rims and the road. I can't recommend the 18s for
the UK, which, thanks to 13 years of labour misappropriation of road
maintenance funds into traffic harming measures, now has some of the
worst roads in the developed road. The seat and driving position were
instantly comfortable.


The dash is designed to hold built-in satnav in the right place
(a relatively new feature in Korean cars). It's easy to get in and out
of. Comfortable in the back. And while the rear seats don't cantilever
fold in the manner of the old Sportage, there's plenty of luggage space
and (hopefully) a full size ally spare under the load deck. The full
Eurospec tells you most of what you need to know.


The new twin turbo 1.7 litre diesel engine will feel a lot more
lively than 115PS implies because it won't have the lack of torque at
low revs that bedevils too many diesel engines. It's also very
economical, and by next year, KIA hopes to get the CO2 down to 125g/km,
which will even beat the 4WD Toyota Urban Cruiser and the 2WD Nissan
Qashqai 1.5 diesel. Though like most Qashqais on the roads, the lowest
CO2 Sportages will be two-wheel drive rather than four-wheel drive. You
can't have everything.


Impressively, though, as in the ix35, the forthcoming petrol
1.6 litre ""˜Gamma' GDI engine comes in at under 150g/km CO2 and the ""˜R'
type 2.0 litre diesel is 147g/km. So that's three chunky Sportage SUVs
under £150g/km that saves first year registration tax and keeps the VED
down in years to come.


KIA's own crash tests at Namyang lead it to fully expects a 5
star NCAP rating, though this will not be announced until November.


Full road test of a UK spec Sportage with UK road impressions coming soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First figures I have seen.
<a href="http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/kia/sportage/17_crdi_113_bhp__115_ps__85_kw_LC2609/crtd2_diesel_tuning_box__kia_sportage_17_crdi_113_bhp__115_ps__85_kw_P1559.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
Remap</a>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
That's a tuning box not a remap and where is his proof of the figures, easy to make cliams on a web site.


Just buy a more powerful car in the first place.



Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
suttonseven said:
That's a tuning box not a remap and where is his proof of the figures, easy to make cliams on a web site.


Just buy a more powerful car in the first place.



Paul
As I said previously. I remapped a Mondeo for £260 and got 35+ more BHP and increased fuel economy. Do the same at the showroom and the price will be in thousands of pounds difference.

BTW The tuning box remaps the engine

Edited by: Antrim_Man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Antrim_Man


I presume you had a power figure taken before and after since you claim to know the difference it madeor was that the manufacturers claim?



Don't you think its better to buy the correct car than have the wrong one tampered with by a man in shed and invalidate the warranty if and when Kia find out? If you buy the correct car it may cost more in the first place but it will be worth more when you trade it in.



A tuning box does not repmap the engine,if you are lucky mostonlyalter the fuel pressure and have a fancy sales blurb. Some years ago it was proven than one sold for a G o l f TDi only made the ECU think the engine was permanantly cold by changing the engine temp sensor readings thus injecting more fuel as required by a cold engine, hardly a clever remap and it would never have passed an MOT. To remap the engine the man in shed needs access to the original map in the ECU via fancy software etc, a rolling road or dyno to simulate road/load conditions and many 100's if not 1000's of hours, how many have that? Any thorough professional remap carried out by a reputable company (if you are luck enough to find one)will only apply to the engine it has been done on and willstill invalidate your warranty if found during a dealer read of your ECU at service, see Viking Pauls post above.



In 1989 I had a *****chips fitted to my G o l f by oneof theirlocal agents who wanted to see if it was any good. Supposed to give +12 bhp, better pick up and better economy, all it gave was +3 bhp and CO readings off the scale. Agent shrugged, took it out and did not charge me, honest chap fortunately for me, had found the same with an Astra one the week before. Never had any faith in chips or tuning boxes since. Call me biased but I had a lucky escape.



Paul
Edited by: suttonseven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
suttonseven said:
Antrim_Man


I presume you had a power figure taken before and after since you claim to know the difference it madeor was that the manufacturers claim?



Don't you think its better to buy the correct car than have the wrong one tampered with by a man in shed and invalidate the warranty if and when Kia find out? If you buy the correct car it may cost more in the first place but it will be worth more when you trade it in.



A tuning box does not repmap the engine,if you are lucky mostonlyalter the fuel pressure and have a fancy sales blurb. Some years ago it was proven than one sold for a G o l f TDi only made the ECU think the engine was permanantly cold by changing the engine temp sensor readings thus injecting more fuel as required by a cold engine, hardly a clever remap and it would never have passed an MOT. To remap the engine the man in shed needs access to the original map in the ECU via fancy software etc, a rolling road or dyno to simulate road/load conditions and many 100's if not 1000's of hours, how many have that? Any thorough professional remap carried out by a reputable company (if you are luck enough to find one)will only apply to the engine it has been done on and willstill invalidate your warranty if found during a dealer read of your ECU at service, see Viking Pauls post above.



In 1989 I had a *****chips fitted to my G o l f by oneof theirlocal agents who wanted to see if it was any good. Supposed to give +12 bhp, better pick up and better economy, all it gave was +3 bhp and CO readings off the scale. Agent shrugged, took it out and did not charge me, honest chap fortunately for me, had found the same with an Astra one the week before. Never had any faith in chips or tuning boxes since. Call me biased but I had a lucky escape.



Paul
As I said. I remapped a Mondeo with these guys http://www.auto-tune.co.uk/ and it made a big difference to the performance and fuel economy. I then had the Mondeo for 3 years afterwards without a hiccup.
Edited by: Antrim_Man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Fancy websites don't prove a thing to me.


I will always try and buy the right car, the rest of you do what you want I guess.



Ever wondered why there are problems with used cars, could it be some have been modified by the owners and sold on when problems occur.



BMW extended warranties are £450 a year, I for one am not risking my free Kia onefor slightly better overtaking once a flood.



Paul
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top