Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tow with this model ???, Are they powerful enough, my caravan is only 1000 kg gross, will it work .
Many thanks for your views.
Melvin

·
Registered
34 Posts
You don't state the year but I can say my 2019 PHEV is perfectly capable of towing 1000 kg without breaking sweat. Unfortunately KIA UK have not approved it for towing and so it would be illegal due to your insurance being invalidated. I only found this out after purchasing the car and fitting a towbar, having read lots of reviews and specs most of which say it can tow up to 1300kg braked (600kg unbraked) and this is the case in the rest of Europe. Even the owner manual that comes with the car has a whole section on towing and gives these figures for Europe (DE model). Last time I looked The British Isles were part of Europe (geographically speaking) but not according to KiaUK who mutter something about the continental model having uprated cooling and brakes. I don't believe them but there we are. You can fit a towbar (not easy) but officially only for a bike carrier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for all this good information, I have not purchased one yet but have a test drive this afternoon, this I will cancel, you have saved me a lot of pain,
Kind regards Melvin

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Well my 2020 HEV can certainly tow. Has a section is manual on this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I tow an 1050kg Bailey caravan with my 20 reg Niro HEV with no problems. Going to and from Cornwall I was getting just over 30 mpg which is better than friends with a Mondeo get.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
34 Posts
My PHEV has the same page in the manual. Perhaps Kia have changed their minds or upgraded it since 2019. Must check to see if it's retroactive. Or possibly it's the extra weight of the PHEV battery that's the issue. Who knows? What does the VIN plate on the passenger door frame say? The second line down is the gross train weight. If it is zero or blank (like mine) then you can't tow. It's this figure minus the top line (gross vehicle weight) that gives your towing capacity.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Pretty sure it will not be retroactive, and will relate to each level. So HEV, PHEV & EV will all require their own submissions. As it relies on manufacture submitting car to be tested & approved.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
178 Posts
My PHEV has the same page in the manual. Perhaps Kia have changed their minds or upgraded it since 2019.
Must check to see if it's retroactive. (1)
Or possibly it's the extra weight of the PHEV battery that's the issue. Who knows? (2)
What does the VIN plate on the passenger door frame say? The second line down is the gross train weight. If it is zero or blank (like mine) then you can't tow. It's this figure minus the top line (gross vehicle weight) that gives your towing capacity. (3)
1/ Not it won't be changed retrospectively. The Mark1, pre-face lift model was never Type Approved for towing, for reasons unknown, and that cannot be changed. One suggestion was that they wanted to get the car into the market quickly so didn't bother with the extended procedures required for the towing side of things. It was only the Mark2 model that was submitted for Type Approval for towing. That has been confirmed by a friend who is a senior Vehcile Inspector at DVSA. (It's useful being a member of the CSMA!)
2/ Nothing to do with the extra weight of the battery, as is shown by the max train weight allowance of the Mark2 model being the same for the HEV and the PHEV.
3/ Almost correct.
Top line : kerbweight.
2nd line : max train weight allowed
3rd line : max front axle weight
4th line : max rear axle weight.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pretty sure it will not be retroactive, and will relate to each level. So HEV, PHEV & EV will all require their own submissions. As it relies on manufacture submitting car to be tested & approved.
Correct. See my reply above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts