Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would be so grateful if any of you could advise me on something as it is quite an urgent issue.

Last week I noticed when driving that the accelerator when I pressed it revved and sounded like I needed to change gear when I was in the correct gear. Two days later, the car broke down and I’ve been told by the Kia garage after inspection that it is not a mechanical fault And it is down to wear and tear. This same garage replaced the clutch 18 months ago when I had only done 40,000 miles and the car was 3 years old!

They gave me a warranty on this new clutch for two years. When I challenged them yesterday and asked them to claim on the warranty from Kia, they said they could not as it was not a mechanical fault. I asked them for photos, I have not received these yet but they said they would give me the parts so that I have could get them independently inspected if I wanted to. They are proposing to charge me another £600 for a whole new clutch.

I I have been driving for over 30 years and have never burnt out one clutch, Let alone two in four years.

I have to decide today what I’m going to do because I cannot take my children to school or work without a car. The garage won’t even give me a courtesy car. I feel like I’m being held to ransom by them.

One more thing when the first clutch went I noticed something was awry as the gears became stiff before breaking down. This time it was the accelerator which was revving, the gears felt fine. I have also had issues with the oil warning light being on permanently even though oil is topped up. I mentioned this during its service in November and they assured me it would go off and it never has. Could this be related?

What do you think about this?

Many thanks

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think that clutch wear is relatively easy to detect and I cannot think of any possible cause other than the way it is used.

WRT oil light - this has nothing to do with the clutch fault, unless there is oil leaking into the clutch but this would leave clear evidence. If the oil light is on then there must be a cause and this is something I would be very concerned about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that clutch wear is relatively easy to detect and I cannot think of any possible cause other than the way it is used.

WRT oil light - this has nothing to do with the clutch fault, unless there is oil leaking into the clutch but this would leave clear evidence. If the oil light is on then there must be a cause and this is something I would be very concerned about.
Thank you so much for your reply. When I broached the oil light with then in Nov when it was last serviced they put oil in it but it remained on. I also put oil in it a few weeks ago and it still was on afterwards. Is it unusual to have to top up the oil twice in 2 months?

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
What was the oil level like before you topped it up?

Is the oil light not related to the oil pressure & not the actual level?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have not had to add oil to a car between services for many years now, yes it is unusual. I don;t understand why the garage was happy to let the car go with the oil light on - this is a potentially disastrous issue.

One of:

oil sensor faulty (but then if there is a genuine oil issue you won't notice)
level low - this can be bad news
oil pressure low - this can be bad news.

Was the last service and advice to ignore it a KIA dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply, oil level was low in Jan after being filled in November

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You dodn't say how many miles the car has covered in the 18 months since the last clutch.

Low oil or an oil warning light on is not really related to your clutch problem.
A failed crankshaft oil seal could cause an oil leak and clutch plate contamination, but if you had an oil leak of that magnitude, there would be signs all over your drive.
This should be covered under the Kia warranty.

As regards the clutch and engine revving. (clutch slip)
I'd put this down to a number of things.

Worn friction plate... This would be evident upon inspection, the friction lining would have worn down to the rivets.
This in all likelyhood, would be wear and tear, even if there was something else causing it, proving such would be difficult.
Caused mainly by poor driving, sitting on hill starts/traffic lights/junctions etc using the clutch pedal instead of the handbrake. (my wife does this all the time, and her clutch is on its way out)

Faulty pressure plate. Less likely to be evident upon inspection unless something serious has failed.
I'd expect this to be covered under the warranty.

Faulty slave cylinder, causing the release bearing to stick. Again a warranty issue.

From stories I've heard, £600 is getting off light.
I'd probably opt for the £600 but make the garage fully aware that you intend to have the old clutch inspected and will kick up a fuss if it turns out to be a clutch failure and not wear and tear

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds very sus to me. You would have to be the worst driver in the world to wear out a clutch in 18 months.

Are you sure they actually replaced the clutch previously or did they just 'fix' it and now the 'fix' has finally failed?

If they give you the old clutch to have inspected how sure will you be that they are giving you the clutch from your car?

Personally I'd nicely ask them to show me the evidence of clutch wear before they remove it from the car. If they come up with the "Health and Safety - you can't go in the workshop" (as happened to a friend of mine) argument then I suspect they are hiding something.

Are you a member of the AA / RAC? If so you could ask them to do a inspection for you, may cost but might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I had at least 18 company Sierra/Mondeos which went to over 125,000 miles each and never needed a clutch. Their replacement schedule was supposed to be ever 3 years or 120,000 miles but one went to 169,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would be so grateful if any of you could advise me on something as it is quite an urgent issue.

Last week I noticed when driving that the accelerator when I pressed it revved and sounded like I needed to change gear when I was in the correct gear. Two days later, the car broke down and I’ve been told by the Kia garage after inspection that it is not a mechanical fault And it is down to wear and tear. This same garage replaced the clutch 18 months ago when I had only done 40,000 miles and the car was 3 years old!

They gave me a warranty on this new clutch for two years. When I challenged them yesterday and asked them to claim on the warranty from Kia, they said they could not as it was not a mechanical fault. I asked them for photos, I have not received these yet but they said they would give me the parts so that I have could get them independently inspected if I wanted to. They are proposing to charge me another £600 for a whole new clutch.

I I have been driving for over 30 years and have never burnt out one clutch, Let alone two in four years.

I have to decide today what I’m going to do because I cannot take my children to school or work without a car. The garage won’t even give me a courtesy car. I feel like I’m being held to ransom by them.

One more thing when the first clutch went I noticed something was awry as the gears became stiff before breaking down. This time it was the accelerator which was revving, the gears felt fine. I have also had issues with the oil warning light being on permanently even though oil is topped up. I mentioned this during its service in November and they assured me it would go off and it never has. Could this be related?

What do you think about this?

Many thanks
hi
I have suspicions that my clutch has gone 2 years after it was replaced the double mass fly wheel was replaced also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi
I have suspicions that my clutch has gone 2 years after it was replaced the double mass fly wheel was replaced also.
very interesting thank you. Been driving 30 plus years and never had this before. Anyone else out there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi regarding the oil light. They do has some issues with the oil level sensor sometimes however if you switch the ignition on and off about 5 times it should clear it if no other fault. As daft as it sounds this does work. The clutch is a wear n tear item unless a manufactured defect has caused it to slip like oil leak, leaking oil onto the friction plate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If this is a diesel model then it very likely has a self-adjusting clutch (SAC). It's not unusual for inexperienced garages (lacking the necessary tensioning tool) to fit these poorly, causing the pressure plate assembly to lose its reserve tension and therefore suffer a vastly reduced life due to the loss of pressure plate clamping force.

The key indicator of a SAC failing due to the above is that the driven plate will show little signs of wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts