Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I really need to get some reassurance and advice from you all.
I have just purchased my first KiaSportage, on my own! My husband passed away 4 moNths ago and so this is a big deal for me to do it on my own.
It is 3 years old and has 18000 Miles. When I went to see it in the showroom, there were a few areas with paint work missing. I have asked them to make this good before I purchased it. Did a bit of haggling but didn’t get much off. Test drove it and was a nice drive. Immaculate inside and no visible body work problems apart from the few scratched and paint. Still 4.5 years of warranty. the salesman was pushy (this is not unusual).
i have handed over a £1000 deposit and the rest (£12900) is due 4 days before I pick it up.
I am thinking I have got a relatively good deal as part exchanging my car (not for full value but can’t deal with hassle of private sell).
I am now really worried that there will be a problem with it but got no reason as to why I think this? I checked whether it had been in a collision and also the MOT, nothing’s showing. Am I missing something?
thank you for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Hi & Welcome.
3 year old car will have some scrapes & bumps in a lot of cases, so not really a big worry.
What you really need to check is the service history.
While Kia do have a 7 year warranty. Not being serviced in line with their schedules can/will invalidate the warranty. If any services have been done outside Kia you really do need a itemised bill to confirm the correct parts were used.
MOT will not be due till the car has been registered for 3 years. If you have 4.5 years warranty left, then it is only a 2.5 year old car. Or it could be that it will be MOT'ed when you pick up (check that)

Pay for a HPI and see what that brings up. Should show any finance outstanding & if a write off.

Is this a Kia franchise you are buying from (Kia approved used car) or a independent sales site?
When was it 1st registered?
Is this petrol or diesel, and what sort of mileage do you expect to do?

·
Super Moderator
3,283 Posts
My wife's cousin lost her husband a few years back and bought a used Kia Sportage so I know what a problem this can be if you haven't had to do this before.
Fortunately she had help from her stepson and I also chipped in when necessary - warning her about getting future dealer servicing to reduce warranty problems and avoid paying extra for annual dealer bodywork checks and so on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice iooi. It will have an MOT before I pick it up and it has been fully serviced by Kia.
it is being Bought from a Kia used approved car franchise.
how do I go about paying for a HPI?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts