Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia's nav system update takes over 3 hours to download to thumb drive and transfer to car. Then message says: " Download unsucessful" Dealer wants 80 quid to do it. Not impressed.

·
Registered
2022 Sportage GT-Line 1.6T GDi ISG (Infra Red)
36 Posts
Kia's nav system update takes over 3 hours to download to thumb drive and transfer to car. Then message says: " Download unsucessful" Dealer wants 80 quid to do it. Not impressed.
Sounds like a slow thumb drive. I used an external SSD as it's a bit quicker.

Make sure it's formatted to FAT32 too before you get too far along. And that there's enough space on the drive.

It may be faster to download to a local location first and then copy to the drive.

At least then if the drive isn't the right size/format or you need to reformat you don't have to go through the whole download again.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I can confirm, Broadband speed has a big effect on the download, my wheezy ADSL+ (copper wire) takes over 4 hours to download to PC. You can hardly blame Kia for that.

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
196 Posts
Agreed, 25Gb is not a small download at all. It will take 2+ hours on most domestic internet connections.

In addition the download speed is likely capped by the speed it can be written to the USB stick if you are downloading directly to it. The recommendation to download to an alterantive location and then copy it over isnt a bad one.

The download can be done quickly if you have a fast enough internet connection and its going direct to a fast drive though:

Rectangle Font Art Logo Brand

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you know if you need to update the software? I have just got my Sportage and would have thought it comes with the latest software. I don't want to go through hours of hassle if I already have the latest

·
Registered
2022 Sportage GT-Line 1.6T GDi ISG (Infra Red)
36 Posts
How do you know if you need to update the software? I have just got my Sportage and would have thought it comes with the latest software. I don't want to go through hours of hassle if I already have the latest
The latest is from February. If you go into the settings you can check the current version Settings > General I believe. The date is written backwards (YYMMDD) at the end of the version name, e.g. NQ5e_H.EUR.55W_L.001.001.211214 is from 14th December 2021 (211214).

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
That's great thank you. My new sportage has the most latest Feb software already then. 3 hours saved for me then 😀
Keep an eye on the forum, Kia's track record at announcing new releases is not great (it's actually dire), but there are some very observant members who quickly spot new releases. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I signed up for Kia connect and downloaded the app. AFAIR There was something there about getting services till 2029 . One of the features was OTA updates of SW maps. So hopefuuly this should not be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Latest one has been released and available for download.
Can I ask where you are getting that from?
As just tried the Sportage MY 22 & this is the file

+|21Q2|NQ5e.EUR.S5W_L.001.001.220211|KM|Sportage_MY22_EU|1577|0

Which is the Feb update.

If you are looking at the notification page. It is a waste of time as it is not updated in any sort of meaningful time frame.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
I signed up for Kia connect and downloaded the app. AFAIR There was something there about getting services till 2029 . One of the features was OTA updates of SW maps. So hopefuuly this should not be a problem.
Just remember OTA is only FREE for 2 updates this year. After that it becomes a subscription model, which Kia have not announced how much it will be yet. Have a look at what they pay StateSide...
So while you get the "Connect" app and services FREE for the 7 years of your warranty. OTA is not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just remember OTA is only FREE for 2 updates this year. After that it becomes a subscription model, which Kia have not announced how much it will be yet. Have a look at what they pay StateSide...
So while you get the "Connect" app and services FREE for the 7 years of your warranty. OTA is not.
but will updates that aren't OTA still be free? i.e. if you can download & install yourself, OTA isn't a big deal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts