Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice. For months I've been waiting on an update to my wife MY15 Kia Soul Mixx headunit. Kia helpline strongly advised I didn't update the headunit with the software advertised in the Navigation App and to wait for my particular headunit version.

My latest call to Kia then suggested 'oh yeah, go ahead but there are no more updates to your headunit in the future'.

The car has full dealership servicing, its just run out of warranty and 'once' had a headunit navigation update that in my view didn't work as the software versions never updated from originals.

So, I see the latest firmware for Soul MY15 is ST.PS.EUR.E530.211026 and my wife version is currently ST.PS.EUR.E391.131202. Kia effectively originally said I will brick the headunit if I install E530 onto E391.

I rang my local dealer and with no help at all said I had to pay £60 to have it looked at but Kia helpline now say I should be ok to update the headunit......

Has anybody done a E391 to E530 update? I see in 2018 there may have been a step upgrade in versions so this car although 7 years old may be missing one update, does that matter....?
Product Communication Device Gadget Font Camera

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Looking at the versions that is well out of date. 131202 = 02-12-13 so 9 years old... Kia usually had one dealer based navigation update a year prior to November last year when we got the ability to self update.

Updating to latest should not be a problem. I would just use a new 32Gig SD card.

·
Registered
MY16 Sportage
2 Posts
I'm just having the same, do I do it, or don't I. I don't think mine has ever had an update. I used the updater site and had a 'chat', and they said, Don't do it, take it to a dealer. I rang a dealer, and spoke to the service dept. They said there shouldn't be a problem.
My current versions are
Computer Font Gadget Personal computer Technology

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
317 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the versions that is well out of date. 131202 = 02-12-13 so 9 years old... Kia usually had one dealer based navigation update a year prior to November last year when we got the ability to self update.

Updating to latest should not be a problem. I would just use a new 32Gig SD card.
Yes I think I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
When I see there have been NO adverse posts about problems for a number of months I MIGHT think about an update but until then I’ll leave it alone,as they say don’t try to fix something that isn’t broken,I haven’t updated for over a year and I’m prepared to leave for another year rather than have loads-of issues,I’m quite happy to carry on with no issues.

·
Registered
610 Posts
When I see there have been NO adverse posts about problems for a number of months I MIGHT think about an update but until then I’ll leave it alone,as they say don’t try to fix something that isn’t broken,I haven’t updated for over a year and I’m prepared to leave for another year rather than have loads-of issues,I’m quite happy to carry on with no issues.
My sentiments entirely

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the compact gen5 update on my 17 plate Sportage.
In my opinion it's vastly superior to the old software.
Updated media player, ability to alter lighting on rear camera, superior satnav, what's not to like.

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the compact gen5 update on my 17 plate Sportage.
In my opinion it's vastly superior to the old software.
Updated media player, ability to alter lighting on rear camera, superior satnav, what's not to like.
im happy it worked out ok for you and it’s an improvement but with so many negative posts over so many months I don’t mind waiting as the system is working fine for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have updated my wife's 2016 Soul (Gen4 unit) yesterday using the Kia updater software.

Once the file was downloaded and transferred onto a 32GB SD card, it took around 15 minutes or so for the software to update the unit.

All went smoothly and the update brings a cleaner and refreshed look to the UI. I like it.

Vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car Font Audio equipment
Gadget Personal luxury car Font Vehicle Technology

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Can you expand on what this does is actioned?
I was holding off telling you how to do this given the weird DAB thing. :eek:
Switch on the ignition, put it in reverse and look in the top right corner, there should be a cog wheel icon. Pressing on that brings up a three sliders, Brightness Day, Brightness Night and Contrast. I am sure I didn't have this until I updated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Switch on the ignition, put it in reverse and look in the top right corner, there should be a cog wheel icon. Pressing on that brings up a three sliders, Brightness Day, Brightness Night and Contrast. I am sure I didn't have this until I updated.
That's the same as mine, I can't remember it being there before I first updated in November.
It only stays on screen for a few seconds.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,673 Posts
Thanks,

Have done that and yes I don't remember the options being there before - but I've had a birthday and bottle of red since I last looked 😊 The controls certainly don't seem familiar.

• Haha
Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
Thanks,

Have done that and yes I don't remember the options being there before - but I've had a birthday and bottle of red since I last looked 😊 The controls certainly don't seem familiar.
Don’t get too excited,I didn’t know about the camera controls (only had the car 4 years) until reading the post but have just checked and it’s on mine and I haven’t had mine updated for over a year so happy birthday and keep on the wine🍷

1 - 20 of 21 Posts